I can't find.........

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

I can't find.........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I can't find the thread we had going a couple months back about plants. Was going to put this one on there cause am wanting to know if anybody knows what these plants are?

There were big baskets of them all over Crystal Mountain today and the pots were huge. Am thinking if these grow well up a mountain where the temperatures are and can be pretty nippy for lots sof the year I should be able to grow these fairly easily. They look like mini-petunias.......WHICH just came to me - Are these real regular petunias that growing under adverse conditions just turned out tiny?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Difficult to say at this picture resolution, but they are more likely to be some form of Alpine plant I would say.
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

They could be Mimulus, which are very hardy and will grow almost anywhere u plant em ! :)
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Chris could well be correct, :) they may be Mimulas which could easily fill a pot that size and they do come in lots of colours. Have a look at the picture of a small pot from my garden which has several coulour variations in it.

Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Were the flowers made up of just a few petals (say up to six) or were they more like a small sunflower (in which case possibly a gaillardia).
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is a close up I cropped out of another photo I took on the same place same day. I don't know what Mimulus are but am not too sure these look like Horus' flowers.

These do come in all colours and to me look like little mini petunias but are also different from petunias too but ???
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I found out the name of these plants!!! While they look like mini-petunias - They're actually "Calebrachoa" and apparently are related to petunias......I've never heard of 'em but I saw some in a container in a garden centre and that is where I found out what they are called! :):):):)

Wikipedia says: "Calibrachoa is a genus of plants in the Solanaceae (nightshade) family. They are weak evergreen short-lived perennials and subshrubs with a sprawling habit, and they have small petunia-type flowers. They are found across much the same region of South America as petunias, from southern Brazil across to Peru and Chile.

Calibrachoa are closely related to the petunia. However on further examination it has been found that there are major differences in chromosomes, corresponding to external differences and fertilization factors that distinguished Calibrachoa from the petunias. Calibrachoa is named after Antonio de la Cal y Bracho, a 19th century Mexican botanist and pharmacologist.

[edit] Cultivation

Some of these are kept as ornamental plants, the hybrids (Calibrachoa x hybrida) being popularly known as "Million Bells". The plants can tolerate light frost and thrive in sun or semi-shade. Plant in a free-draining soil and water only when the soil is almost dry. Propagate from tip cuttings."