So what am I growing?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

JOJO

So what am I growing?

Post by JOJO »

Firstly I have my nastythingy - doing well for 52p!

Now for that poundstretcher shake n sow stuff.........haven't got a clue what any of these flowers or weeds as the case may be are?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am not a gardener Jo but even I recognise yournasty thingy as being a Nasturtium. The top one of the other pics is an Antirrihinum. Don't know the others but wait until H comes in, he'll know :)
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

PS Jojo, forgot to mention, flowers and leaves of Nasturtiums are edible. So, if you are worried about e-coli, eat your plants :) :) :) But don't use insecticides if you intend to do so :lol:
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Not sure about the Antirrihinum unless it is the wild type but just to the left and down a bit is a cornflower. The bottom one looks like a wallflower. Over to you H
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jo, whatever they are they are all very pretty, and, you are a much better gardener than a plumber :)))
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Grandad wrote:Jo, whatever they are they are all very pretty, and, you are a much better gardener than a plumber :)))
Gosh you have a long memory! :P :lol: :lol:
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

After looking on google images it appears my small blue flowers are 'Baby blue eyes' and are native to California! ?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry JoJo for getting back late, but have a look at Common Speedwell or more likely Corn Speedwell for the little blue petaled ones and 'Pig Nut' for the small white one with a ball shaped flower top. Not being picky, :roll: but your photos are up to your usual crap standard, ;) so it is hard to see the stalks, leaves and flowers properly. :lol: :lol:

The other problem is that they are not all British wildflowers, unless you count South Africa as British :lol: :lol: The Pink Daisy like one with the bright white centre is a Mesembrianthemum, otherwise known as a 'Livingstone Daisy'
I am still trying to recal the name of the Pink & White one :roll: Again I think it's a cultivated flower, but it has a look of Toadflax, but the wrong colour. The 'Orangy' one looks like a Marigold of some kind and the Dark Yellow one looks for all the world like the petals of a Wallflower.
As I said they are not all Wildflowers in the true sense of the word, but I did tell you they were crap when you bought them. :P :lol: :lol:

Just a matter of interest, the 'Pig Nut' has an edible root that tastes a bit like a Hazel Nut :) :) But of course you must know for certain that it is a Pig Nut before you ever try to eat one. :) ;)

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for JoJo eating a poisonous root and thinking it was a Pig Nut! 8) JoJo, do not eat anything that you did not buy at Tesco :roll:
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

"I am still trying to recal the name of the Pink & White one Rolling Eyes Again I think it's a cultivated flower, but it has a look of Toadflax, but the wrong colour."

That looks like what we would call a snapdragon, I think. As kids, we would squeeze the bottom bit to make the top bit open and close like a mouth.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I had thought the same WI about it looking like a Snapdragon :) which of course is a cultivated flower.
Several things put me off that conclusion, mainly the actual flower shape which is more bulbous in a Snapdragon flower, although the general shape is similar and of course the Snapdragon does belong to the Toadflax family :)

Cultivated Snapdragon:

On further scrutiny I would say my original assumption was correct and that it is a Toadflax, :) it was the colour that threw me.

Toadflax, a British wildflower:

JoJo's flower:

If you look at JoJo's picture and compare it to the one that is top right of the flower cluster, I think you will see the similarity, with the exception of the actual colour which may be down to soil conditions or just because it was grown by JoJo. :lol:
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Your idea seems spot on, H, and I am no gardener, and haven't seen a Snapdragon for many, many years, so was just guessing. Well done, you. And be nice to Jojo! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Why should I be nice to JoJo, she doesn't deserve it. :P :lol: :lol:
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Thank you Horus, I have another one that as appeared today...just off to take another poor quality photo (tosser) :lol:
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Horus wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for JoJo eating a poisonous root and thinking it was a Pig Nut! 8) JoJo, do not eat anything that you did not buy at Tesco :roll:
Come on Horus get real you know me and I ain't about to go out foraging in my garden for a few roots 'n shoots...if it isn't Rich and Cholesterol ridden then it ain't the food for me!
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Ooo another 2 new 'uns actually.

Bare in mind this rare specimen flowers all the way down with it's parasol petals :D

Yes I know it's a crappy photo but a ruddy Bee was dive bombing me.Although it looks Purple it is actually Navy blue!
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

You're getting your moneysworth with this shake and sow pack. Didn't think you liked creep crawlies? (just above the top flower on the stem)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: @ JoJo and why did you call me a toaster? :lol:
The blue one is a Corn Flower :)
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Horus wrote::lol: :lol: @ JoJo and why did you call me a toaster? :lol:
The blue one is a Corn Flower :)
Is your eyesight fading as well as your brain cells my lovely-it says Tosser! :P
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Is that all the thanks I get for identifying your weed collection :P :lol: :lol:
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

:lol: :lol: Your just jealous because your box of shake and sow didn't work!
It gives me something to look forward to each morning...I let the dog out for a pee and mosey on down the garden to see what colour weed as appeared today! :) :lol: