What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus The orchid I have are and have done nothing so am getting rather tired of them. The leaves look healthy enough, they have grown aerial roots but not a sign of a leaf bud stem so they're getting moved to the nether regions of the house where I could miss watering them 'til they're too dry and so they will meet their ultimate demise.
DSC_0004.JPG
There is one in the bedroom and these two will soon join the other. They'll get as much bright light there are where they are now but I just won't have to look at them doing nothing.

Am thinking I'll enjoy some ferns. Granted they take more looking after than other plants but where they're at in the house is pretty close to the kitchen sink so am thinking this area will be much more suitable to ferns that WILL grow for me vs sit stagnant.

If mine orchid would bloom I probably would have added more but have finally reached the conclusion they just don't like the environment I'm giving them.

I'll enjoy yours via photos, am sure, you'll share ;) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Those Orchids look in beautiful condition and maybe that's the problem, mine get neglected and probably think they are about to die and so they flower.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Yeah - these guys look good enough but they're on the way out. The lesser of the 3 is now in the bedroom and as I acquire new additions these two are going. They've taken too much prime real estate without paying their rent so eviction is going to be the name of the game. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh what a shame, I would defo had them flowering if I could get my hands on them ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well as its a bit slow, I will post a few pictures of the job that has been keeping me busy of late. Basically the shower/washroom in my tourer caravan was a bit cramped, the washbasin was quite small and had a corner vanity unit above it. Usually when on a site I use the site fascilities as these are really second to none, always beautifully clean, warm, lots of hot water in the showers, shaver points, wash hand basins and soap dispensers, they even have dishwashing and laundry rooms, but on occasions I stay on lesser equiped sites on rural farms in scenic or coastal areas that maybe only have drinking water and waste disposal available, it is then that you need to be self sufficient. So to that end I decided to revamp the toilet and shower room to smarten it up and to give me more useable space, the first job was to remove the old pedestal basin and vanity unit plus anything else attached to the walls, often in caravans the larger table is often stored on a bathroom wall to save space.

I then fitted a second hand vanity unit that I bought from a breakers yard, it was a very tight job but I managed to get it fitted on the rear wall just above the cassette toilet, again to save space it has a drop down wash basin. The most difficult job was to provide all the required services and get them positioned behind the new unit, now that was a really tight job as there has to be a hot and a cold water supply to the mixer tap that supplies and controls the shower head on the left. It also needed a new waste drain pipe connected into the existing kitchen drain plus a 12 volt electrical supply, all this had to be in position before pushing the vanity unit into place and then everything connected through the small cover plate beneath the mixer tap, that took some doing.

After completing that part, I decided to tidy up the walls by fitting a lightweight plastic cladding to all the sides plus the roof, again not an easy job as all the material had to be cut and shaped to fit around the newly fitted units, everything then had to be made waterproof with a silicone sealant. I still have to refit the door, the shower rail and shower curtain, all of the small items such as towel ring, toilet roll holder etc. and a minor repair to the shower base, so another couple of days should see it finished and back to normal.

The first 5 images are the 'before' pictures. Number 6 image is the same back wall as seen in number 5 above, but after the refit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Wow H, that looks very 5* to me . So compact but so well designed. I really like the way you have clad the interior, easy to wipe down after using the shower. :up
Even if you are in the middle of a field, you still have a great bathroom.
An all round great job. :up
Just a safety observation. The shower tray is effectively the floor of the bathroom/toilet. If you don't already have one I would suggest a rubber sucker shower mat in the tray at least when you shower. As you mostly travel alone I would not want you to have a fall in that confined space. Just thinking of your welfare mate.
;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for your concern Grandad, although I doubt I could fall very far in that space :lol:
On a serious note though, the shower tray is not yet finished, because of its age and the fact that they flex a little the tray itself has develpoed a few small cracks. I am currently dealing with these by using a resin like bonding material suitable for plastics, once that is finished I will be buying a special 'paint' developed for the purpose of sealing any small leaks. It is water based but forms a rubber like surface over the original tray once it is dry, you can add several coats and according to the literature each coat builds up on the others, so I intend to use up the whold tin as I have no other use for it afterwards and that should give me 3-4 coats. I have not yet made up my mind as to the colour to use as it comes in clear, white and heaven forbid, black :urm: it is also available in a rough finish, either way I will fit it out with a suitable shower mat. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
Horus I posed this as a serious question but now knowing you have been very busy I guess you missed it.

A few days ago I Posted:
Here's a little puzzle for Horus that came to my mind when I left the pharmacy. Boots store is slightly elevated and when I come away I have a slight downward slope to street level. I only need the rheostat on the scooter slightly on and can hear the motor on over run.
Question: Is it likely that the motor is then acting as a generator and putting a small amount of power back into the battery? It would be a very small amount but maybe I could improve battery performance by using hills more.
;) :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@Horus You really are great with your hands, you've done a great job there :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I distinctly remember replying to your post very soon after you made it :ni: but I can't remember which thread it was on. In essence what I said was that it would indeed act as a generator providing that the scooter was running faster than the motor, but the charge would be negligible, you would need to coast down a pretty long hill. :lol: :lol: Although in reallity the manufactures would have fitted some device to prevent reverse charging when in use. There is a system called regenerative braking used on some modern vehicles which in effect uses electronics to switch the motor into a generator when braking is carried out, so instead of the kinetic energy being dissipated via heat on the brake pads, it uses the resistance of the driving motor to slow the vehicle down. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Excellent job H and definitely a small space to have to work in. Definitely compact. End results looks wonderful though. I think either clear or white would look fine for the floor. I agree that if other options were there for showers I'd be using those but having this option available would definitely be nice too.

Today I'm meeting up with the daughter at the swimming pool and am bringing back one of the grandkids for a sleep over. Am thinking we'll end up going to some of the parks with our cameras and have a photo shoot afternoon as the weather is good. Sun is out.

Last nights Social at the Yacht club was fun. Pour rain so I couldn't really get a decent photo of outside and missed the First Nations War Canoe come in. Every year all the tribes get together and go on a healing journey - "Tribal Journeys" and ultimately meet up for a few days of feasting. There was a canoe coming from the North and they were over nighting at the yacht club but the rain stopped me from going out to see them arrive.
DSC_0009.JPG
Food was good too. Hamburgers got made on the BBQ that was able to be pulled under the overhang.
DSC_0004.JPG
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I take it that will be the Grand daughter staying over unless the boys don't mind being split up. It will be really nice for you both to get out with your cameras, its surprising what kids will find to photograph and often its quite interesting. :up
Shame about missing the canoe though, that would have made a great photo, I think you must have sent us your rain, as I am typing it is hammering it down. :o
The food looks good and it would not be the first time that I have had to move a barbecue into the garage due to bad weather.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your answer H :up I thought I could remember from day release physics something about that. I also remember something about left and right hand motor and generator rules but if you don't use them, you forget them :lol:

So much good vehicle development happens with F1 car design. The regenerative system is used to great effect in F1 cars but if you are braking from nearly 200mph to around 60mph, that is a lot of breaking energy.

Another example of the motor/generator principle is used on the stop/start system now used on cars. That may be emissions efficient but I am not convinced it is energy efficient.

I'm waffling mate but I am short on people to chat about these sort of things. My neighbour doesn't even have a mobile phone so you can imagine how stimulating he is to talk about anything technical. :( :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus I am getting one of the twins this Friday and the other twin next Friday. Sometimes nice to split them up as it also gives them something different to talk to each other about as well ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 pm @Horus I am getting one of the twins this Friday and the other twin next Friday. Sometimes nice to split them up as it also gives them something different to talk to each other about as well ;)
@Lovelyladylux
I hope they have their names tattooed on their foreheads LLL or you may get the same one both days ;) :lol:

It is really nice to spend 'bonding' time with the grandkids. We saw most of our first grandson because his mother did some part time work when he was small. He and I still have a very close bond and right now we are in a text conversation on subjects that he raises with me. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Looks the bees knees, Horus! Well done you!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Beautiful sunny day here today. Not too sure what I'll get up to however the yard seems to be beckoning to me.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yesterday and today I had a housework blitz as I had let it slip with doing my caravan modification. I have also given the far end of my drive a good tidy up and washed the paviers down, so that's it for me today now I am off to make myself a nice Thai Green Curry with baby sweetcorns on the cob, mushrooms and 'sticky' rice to go with it, later a nice bottle of Merlot will be opened as I watch some TV and the cork thrown away. :wi
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus - Care to share the recipe?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Certainly :up
First of all slice up some button mushrooms, then take about 10 baby sweetcorn cobs and dice them up, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large pan and heat to just below smoking. Add 300gram of diced chicken breast, now take a pair of kitchen scissors and open up the Thai Green Curry mix you bought in Tesco and follow the instructions on the packet. :lol: :lol: