Wild Kingdom Again

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Wild Kingdom Again

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So we're back to "Shelter in Place" today and the school has been on lockdown as the bear was/is ON the school grounds. Conservation apparently fired some shots yesterday to try and scare the bear but were not trying to shoot it. Right now both RCMP and Conservation are at the school. Kids will be dismissed in about 5 minutes and cause the bear is somewhere close am sure they're there to make sure none of the kids head towards the marsh or woods to play and that everybody is personally turned over to a parent or somebody who can pick them up in a car and drive them home.

My neighbor 2 houses up sent an email this morning saying it was in her backyard however given my back I wasn't reading emails so didn't see her email 'til a few hours later.

Hopefully they can re-locate this bear or both these bears and get them far away and then hope they won't come back. They're young so if they can get into their own territory they may stay there.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

To continue the saga Conservation finally put up a bear trap.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here's hoping. It is set up so now to wait.
63739420_1294056127425407_1866506466588884992_n[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hope thats not located in your garden LLL :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually no it isn't. The school where the bear was yesterday is 4 houses + over a small creek that feeds the marsh (all bush and trees) + playing fields away from me. That is where one of the bears (there are 2) was however they've set this trap up in a yard down by the park entrance which is probably a mile or so away from me. Not sure the rationale for the location however am relatively sure the trap is baited in the hope the nose will lead it to & into the trap.

Definitely hope they can catch these and get them relocated while there is still a chance of relocating them. That they're hanging around the school does not bode well for them at all.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So no bears have been shot or caught 'yet' but Conservation and Police are back down at the school right now as the kids are getting out (bear(s)) was sighted and we're back to another "Shelter in Place." Going to be a long hot summer if they can't bag it and get it outta here.

It is possible there is a boar in the area which is a definite threat to the young 'uns and possibly the boar is chasing the young one out of deeper territory into more urban areas. Maybe. OR maybe the bear is getting the sense that at 2:35pm every day when a bell rings there are lots of tasty morsels floating about and if it could just catch one the hunger pangs would go away.

Hopefully this issue will end soon .......
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOO HOO! One bear caught in the trap tonight another one up a tree...……..so one down and another one UP but 50% of the problem solved (WHEW!)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So they've trapped one bear but the other one was back at the school this morning and everybody is again on a "shelter in place" order...…….Hopefully soon we can catch this second one and then life will return to normal.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Both bears have now been caught which is a huge "whew" as the school playground area is used quite a bit during the summer and that last thing needed is a bear hanging about the area.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

What about when Mummy and Daddy bear come looking for their offspring? :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well it was actually Mom who swatted the kids away cause she'd had enough of them and decided to get all dolled up and go out on the town searching for a new Papa bear.

NOW we're back to worrying about the cougars!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here we go again. If it isn't cougars it is black bears and if it isn't black bears we've now got a grizzly!!

There has always been a rule that Grizzly bears do NOT live on the Island so I guess nobody has told the bear it doesn't belong here. It obviously has not read the rules about Grizzlies not living on the Island either. Gheesh!!
safe_image.jpg
When is life gonna get back to mundane boring normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My neighbour took this picture and sent it to me. I just can't believe that after trapping two another one has now popped up. Was just going to head out around the marsh for an evening walk too
66786718_10156333651083091_5021114925653688320_n.jpg
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux

Apart from small mammals and birds, the largest predator in my area, as you all know, are the foxes.
Over time you get to know their habits and, as I found this evening, their hierarchy within the group.
We have one who arrives at around 7pm and sits on the bank waiting for me to take something out for him. I can talk to him and have gained his confidence.
This evening he had not appeared so I put out some dog food at around 7. He immediately appeared from under a bush but then just sat there like a dog and did not approach the food. A few minutes later a larger vixen arrived, went straight to the food, ate a small amount then walked off.
At this time my friendly fox came down and he also ate some of the food and slowly walked off.
Almost immediately a third fox arrived and went to the food, ate some then went off.
This was fascinating to watch because it convinced me that within the local group there is a hierarchy and they all respect that. It would also seem that when food is in short supply, any available food is to be shared. Sounds unlikely but I am convinced that that was what I was watching.

Last time I used my camera I set it to shutter 1/500 sec and forgot to reset it. Therefore, in the low light it struggled to get an image but this was fox #1 in the pecking order. I think she is lovely, and with no chickens hereabouts, no problems.
:lol:
P1020028.JPG
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely photo Grandad.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada