What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Kiya »

Was thinking in the same lines as RS , it seemed a fair bit to go...............was you trying to keep up with Hamilton ;) :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm with RS Grandad, your trips did seem longer than my walks with Annie :o

Great video, but all I kept thinking of was the Benny Hill theme tune :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
I didn't bother to fancy it up H but one of my sons said I should do more such trips and if it is legal, I agree your suggestion would be very appropriate. :lol: :lol:

Having just changed to bluetooth headphones, there is a risk of running out of battery power. To be prepared for that I just bought this power bank that can be plugged in if the battery goes dead. It will then power up AND charge the battery. I can also use it for my mobile phone, Kindle etc...
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As to the music legallity Grandad, I often find that the stupid copywrite laws are often applied to even a home video by the likes of YouTube, so you can view it yourself, but anyone else cannot hear the soundtrack which is a bit pathetic as it is usually only a short homestyle video for sharing with friends.
Those battery packs are very handy Grandad, I have had one for years and its great for taking with me in the caravan as it will charge up all sorts of devices (not your scooter though :lol: ) Mine will fully charge my i-pad, wi-fi bluetooth speakers, bluetooth headphones, Kindle and my i-phone before it goes flat. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Pottery studio day today. Got a bunch of stuff to get into the kiln and hopefully a bunch of stuff to get back out of the kiln. Studio closes end of June so not too much longer to make stuff.

Bought an apple tree yesterday. Going to espalier it along the back fence and luckily this tree is already basically growing flat to not going to be a huge job to get it going.

Sun is shining!!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hope you have some nearby pollinators for your tree.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is the tree outside the pottery studio........love magnolias
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Busy cleaning inside my car today, mammoth job :roll: I only gave it a good going over about a month ago, so I blame Annie.
The outside has more sand than the Sahara desert mainly due to the dry hot weather and the occasional shower which dumps it all on my car and just who has been eating a cake in my car and got crumbs all under the drivers seat? it certainly aint me!

But on a more serious point it is booked in for a full service and an MOT next Thursday so I like my cars to look spotless prior to being tested, not guaranteed, but I think it gives agood impression, a bit like dressing smart for an interview. :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A bit chilly this morning but I needed to go to the 'Local' for a newspaper and some Maris Piper for a shepherds pie......not that I shall be cooking I hasten to add ;)
I had a pop up offer on screen for two Canary Islands Palms for £15. Sounds like a bargain so I clicked to buy. We want more perennials out back and also we want more height so these should help.
Last time it rained the gutter of the extension overflowed indicating that the downpipe trap was blocked. I can't do ladders any more but I do have a tall step ladder that I bought a few years ago from Amazon....where else? :lol:

I have three other sets of wooden steps that are not as wide so I went to Amazon and ordered the companion set for lower level work.

These are Hailo steps made in Germany and have good size treads and feel very seciure. They also have a tool tray at the top.
I shall ditch the old steps when the new ones arrive.
Nothing much else doing today.......Eurovision Song Contest tonight :( Australia contest that competition, didn't know Oz was in Europe??? :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was just outside with the camera

Apple tree (Heyer - a Canadian developed apple)
DSC_0008.JPG
My newest most favourite plant - Lewisia (a sedum but the little flowers are goregous and bloom often throughout the summer in a whole range of colours).
DSC_0010.JPG
The variegated weigelia
DSC_0020.JPG
Giant hosta (NO slugs - yet)
DSC_0022.JPG
Bridal veil Spirea
DSC_0024.JPG
All in all I've got COLOUR and most is growing quite well :) :) :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have the same variegated weigelia as yours and my Hostas are doing quite well at the moment
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My Hostas are growing quite well, a little bit of slug damage here and there.
hostas-3.jpg
hostas-2.jpg
hostas-1.jpg
And one for Grandad, this is my Acer (Acer Palmatum) and it is about 20 odd years old. This photo was taken today in Poo Corner, so named because Annie usually chooses this spot behind my workshop which is great because I always know where to look. :D You can judge its size by looking at Annie and the blue planter behind which can seat at least 8 people around it, in the Winter it turns a bright scarlett in colour. :up
Acer.jpg
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Wow! You guys have got plenty to show so early in the season. I will post some pictures later on when we have a few more plants (some ordered online and not yet arrived) are more mature and worth showing.
Love your Acer Horus ;) I now have two , both in pots to limit growth. This one is approaching 20 years old and remains little more than Bonsai. :lol:
P1010717.JPG
And this one we bought last week.
P1010718.JPG
Our hostas are suffering as usual with slug damage. I have put pellets down but as the leaves hang over, the slugs do not need to go into the pots :xx

Digressing, and nothing more than a bit of trivia, but you may remember this picture of a hugh cordiline in my daughters garden.
20130531 Ali's giant cordyline a.jpg
I don't have a picture but it recently started growing leaves at about fence top height. A tree surgeon working in the area cut the old trunk back to the new growth for them and they now have a shorter and much more attractive plant. I will get a pic next time we are at their home.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Now that's some Cordiline Grandad
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

All gardens looking good. My gardens are now starting their 4th season and finally starting to look lush as all the bushes are maturing. This is the back of the house under the stairs
DSC_0029.JPG
This was supposed to be a frilly pink iris I got at the Horticultural Society but hard as I look at it I'm not seeing too much frill and/or anything 'pink.' I actually think it is a much more common variety that is everywhere.
DSC_0017.JPG
The bleeding hearts are on their last legs. This plant was on of the first that I planted and it came HUGE from the next door neighbour who was moving away (I didn't even know them), couldn't take the plant and asked if I wanted it so I plopped it half under the red maple beside the blueberries but it seems happy enough there.
DSC_0013.JPG
These are actually my miniature hostas I just planted last year into my collection of all odd pottery plant pots. They've done quite well actually. I put one (didn't take a photo of it) into a larger pot and that is the only one not doing well and am wondering IF it is cause hostas do need to be a bit root bound to produce the mass leaves? I really quite like them as in their own way they make the gardens look so lush. The little pink plant beside them is a Lewisia which has lately been my most favourite go to plant given it blooms so much for so long.
DSC_0033.JPG
My last gardening challenge is to turn the area around the new planted apple tree into a colourful garden. I do need to be able to step around the apple and the plan is to espalier it along the back fence and this tree in its natural growing form was ideal as 4 of the side branches were totally flat and already growing to the side. Question is though what to put out and about the rest of the area. It is a square planter built around a huge old tree root.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

All very nice and healthy looking LLL, that Iris is far from common and I would love one like that, I can see the pink in the leaves quite clearly. :up As to the Hostas, the more root bound the better IMO. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - really? Small bits of treasured root was handed out sparingly (only to those who swore they'd plant it and grow it right away) 2 yrs ago at the Horticultural Society meeting by a Gardener who specialized in Bearded Iris. I love them and, at the time was just starting the side garden so was taking and planting anything I could get my hands on. It grew but didn't flower last year so this is the first year I've gotten a flower. It was supposed to be frilly pink but I'm not seeing that so I was thinking maybe I got an incorrect piece of root.

My only problem with Bearded Iris is that they do not bloom nearly long enough. Same same I have peonies planted all over and the ones that are 4 yrs old are now budded out nicely but once flowering they don't last nearly long enough.
I probably won't bother myself to re-pot the one mini-hosta that is in too big a pot however if it isn't leafing out more by next year it'll get moved to a smaller pot.

BTW H, love the colour of the hosta in your second photo. Lovely. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Interersting day yesterday, I did eventually get to hospital for my previously postponed angiogram appointment.
I was first on the list at 9am but even then I had to give way to two more urgent cases. One a heart attack case brought in by ambulance and the other an urgent case from a ward. Nevertheless I went into 'The Lab' as they call it at 11.15am.
The procedure was painless. The consultant first went in via the radial artery in my right wrist but as he couldn't get the tube beyond my neck for some reason, he reverted to the femeral artery with entry in the groin.
Won't bore you with all the procedure except to say I was impressed with the hi-teck xray machine on a remote controlled robot arm. Also the monitor that was huge, probably larger than 40".
The outcome was that he found my arteries to be in good condition for my age and didn't need to clean or stent. He is still not sure WHY I get breathless with minimal exertion but he will see me again soon to discuss further action.
So a good and interesting day, home by 4pm, but the story is not yet finished :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Good news there then Grandad. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

On the right side of good news, hopefully sorted out very soon.