What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Bought the first tomato plant of the season yesterday.........Sweet 100. Love those little grape size tomatoes off the vine. Not to find a mid-size tomato plant.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

From Monday, posting problem.

Desperate to post something before the forum goes completely quiet, sitting outside and enjoying the sunshine, I got snapping.
There are not many birds sround right now but the collared doves are always present.
New leaves are breaking on the oak tree.

I know the bank needs cutting but I have to wait until a willing visitor calls. I would probably fall over the wall if I tried. But this dove was happy to cool off in the long weeds.

I put some seed in an open tray and here I tried the camera from shortest focus of 20mm and then at the longest of 1200mm (60 times) Not bad I think.
10325 10324

I have said before, to the point of being a bore, that I do not have green fingers and to be honest have little interest in growing things. BUT, my geranium cuttings are doing well, only got 7 out of 12 but that is success for me.

I planted some 'Red Cherry' tomato seeds which were very slow to germinate. They are not really ready yet to pot up but, being an impatient individual, I pricked out 6 of the more healthy ones and potted them up. They have one chance, survive or die.
10330 10333

I should have split the hostas but left it too late again so the pots are looking even more full this year.
10328 10332

We bought two 'Hydrangea Runaway Bride' plants which are looking good and should do well with the warmer weather.

Finally, we have a very high garden developing..........on our chimney.

The birds are responsible for this and, like trimming the bank, I await someone who will climb up there to do a bit of trimming. I have the ladder but will not be doing that little job. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have a few photos to upload myself Grandad, but seem to have been very busy this last week so will try later. Your photos are very clear, did you take the pidgeon with your trail-cam or your camera? We like you have had some brilliant weather so I have been outside doing a lot of general cleanup and maintenance on my touring caravan, dozens of trivial jobs and a real good clean, they get so dirty during the Winter months. Annie was 6 last Sunday so has a nice new sparkly collar for her birthday as she has managed to scruff the other one down to bare leather, she is not very ladylike at all.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
All with the Panasonic Lumix bridge H. Only proper camera I have now, plus tablet and mobile phone, action cam and trail cam.
The Victor trail cam is not bad in daylight but very poor with UV. But it was under thirty quid so I can't complain.
As the foxes call before dark I do get the odd acceptable 10 second clips.
Happy Birthday to Annie, how the years have flown........
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely dove photos Grandad and your tomato plants look good. Am hoping my 1 Sweet 100 Tomato stays going well since I planted it up into a one gallon container.

Ran outside and planted my "Little Marvel" Pea seeds this morning. Hope it rains tonight to get them well watered in.

Did my first 4 hour volunteer RCMP training today. Went well and I enjoyed the other people there. Next one is this Friday.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You would be OK planting your peas here LLL, as after several days of absolutely gorgeous weather we are set for a couple of weeks of rainy weather.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@Grandad your plants are looking great, you'll be green fingers in no time :)

@Horus Happy Birthday to Annie :a63:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The main museum in the city is called "The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge" Not a major museum but it houses some interesting collections on a range of subjects.
I found that they have an exhibition in one of the galleries, of original works by Gerald Scarfe, the political cartoonist. Sounded interesting so off I scooted only to find that the mobility lift was OOA and awaiting a service engineer. So I gave that a miss. Might catch it when the lift is repaired before the exhibition ends on 16 June.
My journey south along St Peters Street took me past The Sidney Cooper Gallery. This is a smart little gallery that holds a range of art based exhibitions. There are steps up to the entrance but they have installed a disability ramp so in I went.
The current offering is a virtual orchestra, actually The London Symphony Orchestra.
They have linked several darkened rooms, each representing a section of the orchestra with video screens around of that section playing. It was quite impressive.
While I was there they were playing Gustav Holst's The Planets. With my sight I could not possibly follow the route through the darkened rooms but I did see the last room, Percussion. This room had example instruments that you could try, sadly I was the only person in there. Parents missed an opportunity for the kids to make a lot of noise on drums, cymbals, xylophone etc :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I used to like Scarfes cartoons.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A virtual orchestra would be interesting particularly the London Symphony. And if percussion was the only room you say I think you were very lucky the room was not hosting children ;)

Today the sun is out so I'm likewise out to get to the garden center to get some lettuce plants. Also need to find some carrot seed tape - am tired of trying to sprinkle the seeds thin enough and/or going out to thin them so am opting for table. Worked charmingly well last year so using it again this year. Got tons of carrots and the crew loves heading down to the garden to pull out a couple of carrots as a snack.

The third garden I'm turning into perennials or something else as I'm growing more than I'm using. I have blueberries planted, gooseberry bush, rhubarb, currents and 1 apple tree that has yet to produce an apple but maybe this year as this season will be its second growing season. Thought about raspberries but not too sure I want to bother with the transplanting etc. but hopefully I might see something that will look nice in the garden yet produce too otherwise it'll be perennials.

First afternoon of RCMP training went well. We did speedwatch with Radar and then distracted driving. Kinda ok and kinda boring just walking up and down trying to see if people are using their electronic devices while driving and then trying to get a licence plate. Mostly what I learned from that is you can't tell what people are doing as they drive by with their hands low. I think the biggest perk to this is they see you in your Visvest and then just slow down which I guess is the objective. I do it all again Friday. Just hope the weather is nice.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Why am i not able to see Grandads photos ?....tells me i'm not authorised to see them and yes i am logged in.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Can you see any other images on here? what about this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Yes i can see that one,it just seems to be those ones that grandad posted.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

If this helps......

I see Grandads photo as photos (no borders) and when I click on them they enlarge up to the entire screen. To get them to go away I have to use the back button.

Horus' photos come with a white margin around them and "Attachment" typed on the top. When I click on them they also move to the entire screen but I sit on a circling icon for a time then they open. They have an X at the bottom right of the photo that closes it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Pat, let me know if you are still getting problems viewing and we will look into it.
Just a point on what LL explained to you above. it is only my images that will show up as she described. As forum Admin I have certain options that you all do not have, so I can choose several ways to upload images and that is why they may look different.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Sorted....all i'm seeing is a black square with a red circle in it and written underneath is "you are not authorised to see this " but if i click on the black square the photo opens up.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Pat, just see how it goes for a few days, as the forum is operating on new software there are a few glitches here and there, but get back if it doesn't sort itself out. My own thoughts are something is slowing your PC down, maybe a poor internet connection?
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

If you add attachments and dont place them inline they will all clump up together at the end of your post with a big white border round them and the message Attachments, placing them inline looks more pleasing :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus @DJKeefy
If it helps with this discussion, all my pictures above posted yesterday were first uploaded to MY album then attached to my post by copying the individual picture BBcodes and pasting into the post.
The single picture in my thread 'Ring of Steel' was drag and dropped from my desktop.
The first method gives me a full screen image when opened by clicking on the thumbnail in the post. As LOL has said, I then have to use the back button to return to the post.
With the second method I get a smaller image when I click on the thumbnail, with a narrow white border on a complete black background. There is a cross at bottom right of the image to return to the post.
This is what I see when opening pictures in my own posts from the two upload methods.....
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I said before, both methods can be used and it all depends upon the time you have to do it. The 'add to album' method makes for a nicer post, but the drag & drop is quicker, both methods work. You may also find that using the drag & drop method you can see a right and left arrow in the image which allows you to just scroll through the images back and forwards.