White vs Red Poppies

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

White vs Red Poppies

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was reading an article that indicated that the wearing of a white poppy at Remembrance Day is growing in popularity as they apparently symbolize peace (which is touted as always being more important than war) and represent civilians killed in war whilst red poppies are for Veterans who were killed in war. This movement to wear white poppies originated in the UK.

Personally I've yet to ever see a white poppy being worn by anybody but red are now starting to appear everywhere and Vetrans are manning booths in front of shopping stores to sell their poppies.

Is the wearing of a white poppy now what is happening? Would you wear a white poppy? And does having white poppies diminish the wearing of a RED poppy that symbolizes Veterans who died?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: White vs Red Poppies

Post by Grandad »

As I understand it, poppy seeds can lie dormant for tears until disturbed. The havoc of WWI in Flanders and north west France disturbed these poppy seeds and they were seen as a symbol to those who had died in those fields of war.
So to me, red is the only appropriate colour for remembrance poppy's. The white version is just people trying to put a contemporary twist on the significance of the poppy.
White is also as symbol of surrender?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

To me wearing anything but red is distracting from the original purpose of remembering our fallen soldiers.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Personally I've never seen a poppy in any other colour than red or a shade thereof. That being said I've also associated red and only red with Remembrance Day.

@Grandad - I did not, when reading the article, once think that white is the colour of surrender - good point. Wish I'd of thought of that as I would have commented.

We just went through a small kafuffle here in that there are Vetrans plates for cars that you can get if you are a Vetran. Somebody wanted this to include the RCMP. Granted our RCMP is a quasi-military entity but they're not Vetrans. The motion was defeated and nobody objects to the RCMP having their own licence plate but no idea if this will go any further.