just got here

A place for new members to tell the forum members a little bit about themselves and their interest in Egypt.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ra-Mont

just got here

Post by Ra-Mont »

Hello to all. I've had an interest in ancient Egypt for almost 20 years now on an amateur level. My interest was sparked quite out of the blue, when a television quiz programme had me thumbing out of curiosity through the bible. I'm currently working to complete a book on secrets in ancient Egypt together with Hebrew links to the same. Most of my research is done; what remains is to weave together numerous twisting threads into a flowing narrative. I believe I have some important discoveries to reveal, and I look forward to contributing to Egypt4u when the occasion arises.

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: just got here

Post by Horus »

You sound like a very interesting person and i am sure we will all be interested in what you have to share with us, please feel free to join in and throw your two pence worth into any thread and if you like photographs then all the better as we have a few good photogaphers on here as well. I have already given you a welcome in another thread, but just in case you missed it, welcome to the Egypt4U forum, :) anything you need to know, just ask.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Welcome to E4U Ra Mont. Your research and book sound fascinating! Please definitely keep us in the loop of your work. Looking forward to your posts and insights. Welcome!! :) :) :)

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Welcome to the forum, Ra-mont! Look forward to reading your posts. We've gone a little quiet on here at the moment but don't let that put you off! :lol:

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hi & Welcome Ra-Mont :) look forward to reading posts from you & more about your book :)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hi & Welcome Ra-Mont :) look forward to reading posts from you & more about your book :)

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody. I must say while some Egypt-themed forums can be somewhat pretentious and repressive, this forum seems very friendly and a good place for the sharing of ideas and opinions. I'm sure I'll enjoy being a member here.

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your welcome Ra-mont, how about telling us a little about your new book? or is it still under wraps ;)

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Horus, I can't disclose much of what I've discovered yet as I'd like to try to get it between hard covers first; failing that, my own web pages might be a second recourse. A few things I'll be happy to put forward, but am deciding whether to open new threads or wait until a suitable opportunity arises to add them to the mix of ongoing threads.

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ra-Mont, you often find that it is easier to just open a new thread if you have a particular point you wish to pass on, although some threads do cover existing subjects such as a photography thread which may go on for a while. In any event if something is already covered elsewhere and you are not aware of it, I will usually move the post into the appropriate thread just to keep things tidy. Having said that we often veer off topic and that in itself is not a bad thing providing it contributes to the general debate, the only ones I keep a bit tight are if for example someone has posted a feature post or maybe a tutorial for everyones benefit and those are best kept on topic.

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Thanks, Horus. I look forward to posting at least the outlines of some of my discoveries. I do enjoy discussion, debate, and even argument about ancient Egypt. And if other members want to disagree with my findings, I hope we'll enjoy lively, but reasoned, discussions. Meantime, I'm trying to post some photographs to the Gallery but am having trouble resizing my jpegs from at present over 2 Mb, 4280 x 3216 to something the uploader here will accept. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated from you or other members.

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I usually resize mine in Photoshop or even in Picassa, do you have any of these?

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

I have Paint, which allows me to lower the megabyte size, but reducing physical dimensions results in severe cropping.

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OK this method should work for you in ‘Paint’
1. Select the picture you want and RIGHT click on it.
2. This will bring up another menu window.
3. Look for the option EDIT
4. This will open PAINT, on the top menu bar you should see the option IMAGE, click on this.
5. At the next drop down menu choose the option STRETCH/SKEW
6. You will see another window containing two more options, they will be Stretch & Skew and along side of each will be a box saying ‘Horizontal & Vertical’ and each box will contain the number 100%
7. You only need to change the percentage figures in the STRETCH section
8. Try putting 25% in each of the two boxes (of the Stretch section) and click OK
9. A picture should now show in the window.
10. Now click on FILE on the top menu bar, then choose the option SAVE AS and give it another name (different from your original) and save it somewhere on your PC where you can find it again.
11. If you check the new file it should now be within the forum upload limit of: Maximum width = 1280 pixels by Maximum height 1024 pixels and a Maximum file size of 500Kb

This method should not degrade the picture quality and by renaming the modified file with another name your original will remain unchanged. You may have to play about with the percentage figures depending on how big the pictures are to start with, but 25% is a good start, see how you go on.

This picture was reduced from 3648 x 2736 pixels and a file size of 3.61 MB to one of 912 x 684 pixels and 89.5 Kb using this 25% method and the Windows ‘Paint’ program, see how you go on with it.

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Horus, the method you outline above is the one I've tried before, but it didn't seem to work on the physical dimensions. However, my technical knowledge re computers is minimal, so I'll give it another go in a bit. I don't think I went down to 25%. From what you say, that sounds promising.

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Trust me it will work, :up but if you get a bit screwed up along the way no problems, I can just talk you through it again, by the way what operating system do you have on your PC?

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Operating system? My pc uses the Marconi Acme Multi-Wire Transmission. (Just kidding. I think it's called Vista.)

R.J.T.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As bad as that eh :lol: :lol: I only ask so that I can check on any peculiarities that sometimes crop up between different operating systems. Strictly by choice I still keep my desktop on the old XP system, but my laptop is on Windows 7, you are somewhere in the middle with Vista. I always reckon that they churned Vista out as an upgrade for XP, but only got it right with Windows 7, but for most things you should not notice any problems. :)

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

There is a thread here (click link below) with a free easy to use resizer you can download:

Easy way to resize your photos to upload to the forum

http://www.egypt4u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1516

Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Thanks, DJ. I'll give that a try alongside Paint in a bit and see which is best for me.

R.J.T.