Shooting the Messenger

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Shooting the Messenger

Post by Ebikatsu »

I watched this programme last night and and at the end felt so sad.

I don't think we realise just what goes in to making our news. How these 'press men' really risk their own lives to bring us the news that we watch from the safety of our armchairs.
Out here a few are very familiar. Names are very familiar, some are family, so many are very brave. Ordinary men and women just doing a job of reporting coming under fire and being killed so that we can get a picture of what is going on around our world.
God bless each and every one of them.

You can watch the programme here on Al Jazeera.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes ... 44639.html

Roughly 100 journalists are killed each year. :(

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Oh they just announced on the news that there were 14 journalists among the people killed in Mindanao :(
Scott

Post by Scott »

I have zero sympathy for someone who willingly goes in harm's way, in the pursuit of income, and then finds harm. I don't care if it is a journalist - or Evel Knievel, same goal, same risk, same thing.
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

But how would you get to know what happens outside your own street then Scott?
All the news channels need reporters. You'd have no news then.
You wouldn't have a clue what's going on in the world or your country, or what's happening in your government, and all the scandals.

You'd rather have State Media? :?
Scott

Post by Scott »

That's not my problem - it is the so-called heroics they seem to cloak themselves in - aren't we heroes - making these sacrifices??

There are many, many people every day who go in harm's way - and make NO claims except, if asked , that they are doing their jobs. I think of firefightes, police, other emergencys personnel, most military. They are all quiet heroes - and do not wear their achievements like a badge.

In any case, I also think that the immediacy we 'enjoy' these days in the media is a minus, not a plus. When we waited until the 6PM news, or the daily paper, there was time for the neews to be scrutinized. There was a delay but I think it resulted in a more calm, balanced broadcast.
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Well talking purely about the reporting done in conflict zones, you'd have to be very brave to go into an area to film, in a Press car, with no weapons, just your Press badge and jacket logo, so I think that is quite heroic in itself, considering that the most they gain is maybe an award at the end of the year for an outstanding piece of footage.
During the Gaza War, the Israeli's wouldn't allow any foreign press into Gaza, for fear of them showing the outside world the carnage. I got to know quite a few from the foreign press who were trying to get in. Before they are allowed they have to get a waiver from their Governments to say that they alone take full responsibility should they get shot or injured. It was almost impossible to get into Gaza with the blockade. We would have had no clue as to the phosphorus, or the dead in the morgues, or the doctors struggling with the injured had it not been for Ayman and Nour covering it. I have to say that they did a magnificent job.
Maybe if the world hadn't seen it and mobilized public feeling the 23 days would have been much longer.
I think the footage by CBC journalists bringing us the dying children in Ethiopia with the Car's soundtrack of 'Drive' was one of the most powerful images I've seen in my life and led to a huge humanitarian effort to aid them.
I have to say I think these people do a great job and make us aware enough so maybe we can ,mobilize and help where our governments fail.

The unofficial journalist bloggers like Yoani Sanchez, etc who risk beatings and incarceration with no monetary gains expected, I think are incredibly brave people who are trying to bring about change, make people aware.

I agree there are biased newspapers and channels with agenda's but most folk with a brain would avoid them anyway :mrgreen:

It's the people who have state media and restricted internet I feel sorry for. :(