Anwar Sadat’s daughter sues over ‘I Love You’ dog

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Anwar Sadat’s daughter sues over ‘I Love You’ dog

Post by Ebikatsu »

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... id=1189998

By Associated Press
Sunday, August 9, 2009

CAIRO, Egypt - The daughter of Egypt’s martyred president, Anwar Sadat, has filed a complaint against the makers of “I Love You, Man,” a 2009 DreamWorks buddy film, for naming a dog after her father.

Egypt’s prosecutor will look into the complaint, filed yesterday. It is unclear what sort of action Egyptian courts could take against the Hollywood movie company.

In the movie, actor Jason Segel’s character has a dog named Anwar Sadat. When asked if it’s because he likes the Egyptian’s policies, the character replies it is due to the dog’s resemblance to the leader.

The name of the dog also appears in the credits as Anwar Sadat, playing “himself,” the dog.

“This is a disaster, a serious affront,” said Samir Sabri, the lawyer for Rokaya Sadat, daughter of the assassinated former president and 1978 Nobel Peace Prize winner.

The film, directed by John Hamburg, opened in Egypt last month, but the scene with the dog was excised by the distributor. Word of the scene only came to light in the last week when it was publicized by an Egyptian Web site.

“This has caused serious psychological and moral damages to the plaintiff, as President Sadat is a prominent figure in Arab history in general and in Egyptian history in particular,” the lawyer said.

Muslims believe dogs can violate ritual purity and consider them unclean. Calling someone a dog is one of the worst insults in the Middle East.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Typical clash of cultures again I'm afraid :) On the one hand we have the Egyptians making a mountain out of a molehill and instead of just ignoring it they make it into a personal insult to Islam or their great martyred leader.

I happen to have liked Anwar Sadat and on the other hand consider it crass and insensitive to use his name in such a manner.
Much as I defend the right of anyone to send up any politician or world leader, most American presidents get plenty of stick :) so the Arab world should not get too precious about one of their own being ridiculed.

Having said that, I do feel that it is just another example of some idiot in Hollywood going for a cheap laugh, surely this lack of any regards for how other people may see this sort of mockery is what often gets the US a bad press. Someone in charge should have given him a slap and told him that he should not do it, not because we should keep on appeasing Arab sentiments, but just because it is in bad taste and entirely unnecessary.
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

Nice post Horus and in total agreement with your view.

It seemed like a jibe that they knew would cause a reaction, but as you say the Arabs need to not take stuff like this too seriously, ie jailing women for naming a teddy bear etc.

Both of them need to 'grow up' :evil:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Ebi :) I do get so annoyed by the intolerant people who are always jumping up and shouting "I am offended by that" regardless of whatever it is. The same goes for the idiots that know exactly how offensive something will be, but just says it for the reaction they will get. I am not talking about speaking your mind or being honest in your view, rather the person who just says it to get a reaction. As you said, both sides need to grow up. :evil:
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

There just seems to be such a culture of 'being offended' that now it just becomes ridiculous.

We are all entitled to our own views and opinions, and our lives and experiences are not all alike.
Life has become so PC , and people are feeling so stifled, so scared to say anything for fear of being accused of being racist, religionist, sexist, shadist, and this is a bad thing in my opinion.

I really feel that people need to grow up and get over themselves.

If it really offends then don't read, watch or listen to it then. Why do you gravitate towards it if it upsets you so much!
Why go to watch a movie for instance with the sole intention of blogging or ranting of how much it offfended you, when you knew exactly what it was about!!!!
:evil:

We are all entitled to our view. We are not all clones or robots, we have free speech, so even though you might not agree with something someone else say's, either debate it in an adult fashion or move on past it 'if it offends thine eye'.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Agree totally :)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I agree with both of you about over reaction.

Somehow in this case if Sadat hadn't been assassinated it wouldn't have been so bad :? I do think it must be hurtful to his daughter to have him insulted in this way, he can hardly fight back can he? As America is the home of the litigation culture I guess it is only right that she should use it against them ;)