Pharoh in, Judges out and Tuesday is a comin'.......

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Pharoh in, Judges out and Tuesday is a comin'.......

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems there are news articles everywhere with a different snippet about what is happening in Egypt since Morsi declared himself the Supreme Grand PooBa of the Egyptian world. Reaction to this is everywhere and basically it seems the country + infrastructure is grinding a deafeningly silent stop.

I'd like to ask for predictions but I kinda think anything can and will happen. Powder keg comes to mind.

I really feel for all those families living daily scraping out a meagre living. To exist is hardly to live and none of this is going to make anything any better for anybody.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Pharoh in, Judges out and Tuesday is a comin'.......

Post by Horus »

Same old story I'm afraid, they all want freedom and democracy, but without really knowing what those two words actually mean and with a poorly educated population those two expectations are usually completely different. Freedom for one may be the ability to behave as you wish with no regards to the rule of law, whereas to another it may be the implementation of even stricter state control. Religious freedom may be seen by one sector as a freedom to practice their own minority faith, whist another may see it as an opportunity to impose their own religion on minorities. How do you define democracy? to a person with Western views and upbringing it probably mean the ability to hold your government to account. To a more faith based society the act of questioning those in power could be seen as questioning god, especially if those rulers are from the faiths involved, so how could you have democracy as seen by Western eyes in somewhere like Iran?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I find it all rather incongruous that the men are primarily acting out the democracy whilst maintaining firm dictatorial/autocratic control at home. To my way of thinking only based on my own knowledge of/observations Egyptian women have very little democracy in their lives and the family structure reflects this.

Our family structure patterns a democratic way of thinking, associating, operating. All family members have an ability to voice their thoughts/opinions/wants/needs. Don't know if families actually 'vote' but by and large in our families each member generally has an equal say in what goes on. Highly doubt this is the same in Egyptian families (talking generalities here). The point is the same as yours H - 'democracy' is simply a word and am sure holds a different meaning for many people and how this word is put into action and behaviours is key.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems the protestors have caused the latest Pharoh - ok Morsi - to scamper away. I'm saying this lightly but am quite sure that the situation in Cairo is becoming quite dire.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems Morsi has been lying rather low. Given the sheer number of Protestors outside the Palace it must be starting to sink in to him that maybe his people do not want another Dictator.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The latest is that he has given the Army the powers to arrest civilians, so now we have the prospect of the army falling in with the new MB rulers. No doubt that was the deal that they struck when they secured the inclusion in the constitution that the Egyptian defence minister must be a serving SCAF officer to occupy the post, thus looking after their own interests no doubt. 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well :( arresting civilians during a time of protest is a ripe for the picking scenerio and once arrested the individual basically has to stand in line until a hearing might one day happen.

The Military in Egypt has enjoyed a pretty priviledged stance for a long time and I highly doubt they'd want to give it up. Am pretty sure they have been in plenty of discussion with Morsi and the MB. Am sure they're weighing which side of the slice their bread is buttered on.