Do you think we're over regulated? Too many laws?

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Do you think we're over regulated? Too many laws?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have you ever thought there are just too many rules and regulations? Have you felt burdened by ALL the laws of the land? Sometimes it just seems there is a law for a law for another law and all apparently for our 'own good.' I'm think all laws should be banned and we should all vote to start again from square 1!!! Let anarchy rule! Can't do worse than the presently elected!!!!

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Anarchy

Post by Jayway »

What a wonderful idea - we can incarcerate all the lawyers until they repent (ha, some joke that would be) and elect the richest people in the world for our rulers (till their money is all spent on us) Oh, so many ideas - -
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It really does boggle if we opted to just eliminate all the bizzillion laws, rules and regulations we have......We could actually go by the "Law of Common Sense and Decency".....!!!! How novel........

I want a "DO OVER"
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

But you know what they say about common sense? It's just not that common!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Often common sense does seem to be ruled out of everyday regulations. We have a law for a law, a tax for a tax on another tax.

Taxes are also out of control. We're taxed on everything even benefits!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Tell me about it! every January we have what are known as 'escalators' put on by the governments (of all persuasions) that annually increase certain things like taxes on fuel ect. Then they have the audacity to tell us that inflation is on the rise again! my reply would be:
"Well yes we know thicko! it is you lot who are causing it!" :x
JOJO

Re: Do you think we're over regulated? Too many laws?

Post by JOJO »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Have you ever thought there are just too many rules and regulations? Have you felt burdened by ALL the laws of the land?
In a word YES!
What as really suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks over the last few months is how controlled we really are.
It seems that anything our governments throw at us not to our liking we complain and grumble and that's about it- they get away with it!
I know there are many worse places to live in the world but do we really have this 'Democracy' that we think we do in the UK?

I find it really scary. Take a scenario, imagine if them at Downing street woke up tomorrow morning and thought to themselves " right we really need to make massive changes in the UK, I know lets scrap state education for all children under 7".....we'd all be up in arms "you can't do that, that is ridiculous" but would the British people stop them? I don't think so!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jo, to some extent I agree with you. We really don't stand up en masse against measures that we see as unacceptable. The French are rather better at making their feelings felt.......they just bring the country to a standstill, then the likes of Sarkozy sit up and listen.

But back to LLL's question.....Yes I do think we have too many rules and regulations, and too many quangos justifying their existence by whispering in politicians ears about what is best for the majority. Trouble is, the more rules and regulations, the more backroom johnnies that are required to administer them. (so secretly that is the governments way of reducing unemployment) :)
:gg:
BillH

Post by BillH »

The master of resurrection strikes again ! :lol:

I cant remember who quoted this.
"The More laws a country has, the more corrupt it's regime"...

Makes you think, doesn't it ? 8)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely an interesting concept BillH. Has to ring true. If a simple "transparent" (transparent seems to one of the latest buzz words) system is known to all it is pretty hard to add an element of corruption into it but when one has layers and layers and layers it is easy to add in 'just a pinch' at each level.

I think 'we' at least address the issue while I'm not totally sure it IS acknowledged or addressed at all in Egypt. It just seems to be taken for granted and is so ingrained as being 'the norm' I don't think it is even recognized as corruption.
BillH

Post by BillH »

How many NEW laws did the Labour Government introduce during it's rule in the UK ?
same question for America since September 11th..

Recently we have watched our freedoms are quickly disappearing, all in the name of hiding truth from the masses or cover up incompetence and high level corruption..
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Every time I go to Egypt, or other countries not as wealthy (and usually even more corrupt) as my own, I cringe at some of the things I see and hear about happening to people because of a lack of appropriate and adequate laws (think of all those OH & S issues we see every day around Egyptian streets eg 7 family members on one motorbike!), and I realise most are for our benefit. But yes, there is a need for a really good weeding of those outdated and OTT laws in any country.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Agreed W.I. :)

I hate the Health and Safety laws, that is meddling with creation and the laws of nature, thus keeping stupid people alive for far longer than they deserve 8)

As for all the other stuff, if Governments were more honest with their people and more transparent, there would be no need for many of the laws we have in the West. They are just used to persecute and scare the masses and Authority hides behind them.

I thought things were not so bad down under W.I. ? a more common sense approach.. Am I wrong ? or has the rot set in down under these days ?
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

It's still a great place and highly recommended, apart from my obvious personal bias! Come on down for a visit.

But if you research our recent New South Wales state election you will see a great example of how the democratic process was used most effectively to get rid of grossly corrupt and ineffective politicians, to replace them with (hopefully) less corrupt and more effective politicians, insha' allah! :lol: :)