Then & Now: Abu Simbel

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Then & Now: Abu Simbel

Post by Horus »

I thought that I would post a few pictures of some of the temple sites in 'Then & Now' photographs.
Where possible I will try to match it with a similar modern one of my own, but of course everyone is invited to contribute any of their own pictures to share with us all. :)

The first is of the Temple of Ramses II at Abu Simbel, this one is taken (not by me :lol: ) prior to it being move to its present higher location due to the building of the Aswan High Dam. Note the lack of tourists.

Here is my modern photograph.

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Earlier this year there was a programme on the TV in the Uk about how they moved Abu Simbel from the area to be flooded by Lake Nassar. Although I had visited the present site of Abu Simble and knew that it had been moved, I hadn't really given it much thought other than 'amazing'. Having watched the programme, and seen how todays 'expert's' would deal with the problem I have to say it was 'Truely AMAZING!' Building and decorating such an huge temple in the first place, but to have to move it, block by block with as little damage as possible was probably more of a fete of architectural engineering than the original build - in my opinion.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

There is a very good exhibition at AS showing how the move was done, well worth seeing :)