King Richard in a Parking Lot

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

King Richard in a Parking Lot

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just saw that the bones of King Richard III have been found during the reno of a parking lot and have been positively identified as those belonging to King Richard. Just a blip during a clip here with no further info.

This is the first I've heard of it here - but really? They've definitely been able to confirm these bones are those of King Richard III?

Seems quite an interesting find and also seems it has been going on for some time but this is the first I've heard about it.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: King Richard in a Parking Lot

Post by Horus »

Yes this is really old hat information now though :lol:
DNA evidence has proved it to be him :up and he really did have a twisted spine as portrayed in Shakespears play.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Haven't heard a peep about this here 'til today. Am sure there will be more to follow. Interesting how DNA can be used. Also equally interesting how all those old Kings ruled way back when - here today and 2 years later gone! (I sometimes wish it was that easy today)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, it is two years since the remains of Richard III were found. There is a piece in todays newspaper that DNA from living descendants of the king suggest that there may have been some illegitimate birth some time back in the royal line.

I quote these paragraphs from the article:- “Researchers compared the DNA of Richard’s living relations with genetic material extracted from the 15c kings bones and teeth. They found that DNA passed down on the maternal side matches that of his living descendants, but genetic information on the male side does not match.

It isn’t clear where in the family tree it occurred but if it happened close to the top of the tree , near Richard III, it could be of key significance regarding royal succession. Of particular interest is the link between Edward III and his son John of Gaunt. If John of Gaunt was another mans son, the Tudors right to the throne – and that of our own Queen – is threatened”.

Clever stuff this DNA. ;) :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Richard III I believe was the true heir to the throne, he had 2 brothers Edward IV (eldest) supposedly to an archer & not the true heir, remember the series The White Queen his 2nd wife Elizabeth Woodville.

There was George (2nd eldest) son, don't remember all his titles, he was drowned in a barrel of wine of his choosing for treason ordered by his brother Edward IV.

When Edward the IV died suddenly after much thought Richard III took the throne thinking if the deceased kings son age 9 take the throne the Woodvilles would take over the Monarchy which could not let happen.

Any ways all her children to Edward IV were ******** (hate that word) because of him having a bigamous marriage to her.

I read recently their was another brother Edmond that had died not sure how old, don't hear much about him.

LLL the program of Richard III is really interesting & take note when his remains found you'll will see in the program his bones lay under the letter R in "carpark" how weird was that!

It always amazes me what they find from DNA even from centuries ago & longer.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya has summed it all up very succinctly :up including the suspect Welsh archer ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Horus, I've read so many books on the Yorkists & Lancastrians, War of the Roses etc etc etc over the past months it just jogs the memory when spoken of.

I'm still on Richard III at the moment & his wife Ann Neville with her first marriage to Edward of Westminster.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting info Kiya. Adds another dimension to my knowledge re: Richard III and the Kings of England. At one point in my academic history I had to know these Kings but unfortunately over the years they've rather faded from my memory.

The DNA results would have been interesting and equally interesting that DNA can trace a relative back 500 years. I also find it amazing that DNA can be extracted from teeth and bones that old.

Nothing much has been said about it here. Possibly I missed it all but it does seem a significant find that would have come to my attention.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am alone in my fascination with these things....Mrs G has no interest unless it smells nice or you can wear it. ;) :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I certainly think that the ladies (in general) do split into two camps on this, Mrs H was always interested in such things very much as Kiya is, but I know other ladies who only wish to shop and visit perfume shops. :roll:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh don't get me wrong like all other ladies I love my perfume, clothes, shopping etc ;) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote:Oh don't get me wrong like all other ladies I love my perfume, clothes, shopping etc ;) :)
I bet you do :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Tonight on Channel 5 BRITAIN'S BLOODIEST DYNASTY 2/4 series at 9.00pm

Hatred: Dan Jones continues his history of the PLANTAGENETS by focusing on Henry III, who wanted to restore the empire his father John had lost.

The king decided he needed a new ally and found him in minor nobleman Simon de Monfort, who soon became a court favourite and married Henry's sister Eleanor.

However, they fell out over money, power and religion.

Another great series if anyone interested :) :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't get these shows but wish I did. They'd be fascinating. I do find the life and times of those living even a couple hundred years ago fascinating - actually how "I" lived 60 years ago was incredibly different from today and I know the young people of today have no idea what it is like to live without running water, without the ability to flush, central heating, immediate communication and we won't even go to how we had to grow and process food so we could eat all winter.

I often feel I could survive if it all went belly up here but I'm not too sure about others. I wouldn't like having to go backwards to the old days but I do know I could do it and would do it.

On another note I do find DNA interesting. I'm by no means an expert on it but it is more than fascinating how scientists can ferret out our past from it.

This is a bit of a side step - but did anybody there get in a mass mailing - from National Geographic if memory serves in conjunction with Ancestry.com - a form where for Christmas PLUS $99 you could give somebody or yourself your history! This company was touting that you could take a DNA sample, send it in and they'd send you back info on where genetically you hail from. Honestly I didn't real this ad well but did skim it and scan it to get the gist. Thought it a novel idea but then I discarded it without really doing any other research into it. Did think about it though ... maybe next year if I get the same advert in the mail or hear about it from other sources.

And lastly - I never wear perfume and don't believe I've ever purchased so much as a drop. ;) I know some women who do in a world of coiffed, jeweled and be-decked out to the nines naivety. Unfortunately I've never related ... :( :( :( I do wear jewelry though :up :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, most bloodlines are traced via the Mitochondrial DNA inheritance which is uniquely passed down the Female blood line and remains unchanged and so can be compared to living decendants.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The world of science and nature has always fascinated me. Used to be a voracious reader of any articles that came out but nowadays there is just so much info available I don't have a hope of keeping up with it. Have also found the range of what interests me is very broad and there are just not enough hours in the day to read it all.

It is definitely fascinating how DNA can tell so much about a person and people. Super interesting.