Then & Now, pictures of a bygone age.

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Then & Now, pictures of a bygone age.

Post by Horus »

I thought that we could open up a new thread about Egypt’s historical sites. The idea is to post a couple (or more) pictures that show the contrast between modern day and what it looked like to early visitors to these sites. We tend to think that things have always been the same as when we first saw them, but in my own time span of visiting these sites I have seen some major and some minor changes. Most temple sites today have been heavily restored and I thought it may be nice to compare what the earlier visitor would have seen compared to today. So I will start us off with the Temple of Isis at Philae near Aswan.

This temple used to be flooded by the rising waters of the Nile and after the building of the two Dams, it was in great danger of being lost altogether until a mission to relocate it entirely to another island was carried out.

I have chosen the building known as Trajan’s Kiosk as my example.

A modern day photograph circa 2007

As it looked back in circa 1900, surrounded by rubble and on the original island.

During the inundation circa 1900 in the original location, note the Victorian tourists.

Please add any more examples you may have, or feel free to ask and I will see if I have any others in my folders that you may wish to see.
Blue hyperlinks in text are clickable.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Then & Now, pictures of a bygone age.

Post by Horus »

Here are a couple more ‘Yesterday & Today’ pictures taken in Karnak Temple Luxor.
The first shows the area that most people will be familiar with just as you enter the complex. There is a solitary column standing on its own and this is all that is remaining of a 10 column kiosk that once stood in this area and it is known as Taharqa’s column

Close by is another large statue of a high priest of Thebes called Pinedjem who later proclaimed himself as Pharaoh. One of his sons was to become the Pharaoh Psusennes I, famous for his solid silver casket that is rivalled only by the one belonging to Pharoah Tutankhamen.

Present day picture, neither column or statue have any particular connection to each other.

Circa 1900 picture, notice how much reconstruction has been carried out on the columns and stone work at the back, also there is no sign of the Pinedjem statue in this location
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A couple more comparison pictures, both taken at Karnak Temple looking back towards the entrance pylon. Note the amount of reconstruction work that has taken place on each side of the columns.

Modern day

Taken in 1878
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great comparisons H. I've been thinking back on my photos but am not coming up with anything I took way back when and then took again now.......Quite enjoying this thread.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I will have a look to see what else I have. :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Whoo! We're back! Wonderful pictures, Horus, and an excellent thread! Looking forward to seeing some more! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Todays pictures are from the Ramesseum located on Luxor’s West Bank and are of the fallen statue of Ramesses the II, better known as ‘Ramesses the Great’
This is usually cited as being the inspiration for the sonnet ‘Ozymandias’ by Percy Bysshe Shelley 1792 – 1822. Although it may not actually be this particular statue as there are a few discrepancies if you compare it with the poem.
It was by the way his second wife Mary Shelley who wrote the famous Gothic novel, Frankenstein.

The fallen statue of Ramesses II (Ozymandias in Greek) taken around 1900

A recent picture

The poem
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

Here are the famous feet, hardly "vast and trunkless legs" as described in the poem, but they are very big!

There has been some speculation of late that they may restore the statue to its upright position. I am not really sure if I am in favour of this or not, part of me says leave it as it has been for a millennium, but the other parts says wow, imagine seeing it together again, all 1,000 tones of Aswan granite. Most of the bits are still there including the part with the hands on, most are hidden in the vegetation and general rubble in front of the statue. It can be best seen if viewed from the top of the pylon and looking down on the feet you can see how the seated figure has toppled backwards during an ancient earthquake.

Looking down from the pylon onto the plinth and feet.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely be something to see if it did get put back together.
LivinginLuxor

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Here's two I like - as the blue side is dead this morning - Abydos, then and now. Great topic by the way!

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Its great seeing the photos of the then & now :)

I would love to see the statue of Ramesses II back tog :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks to Stan for posting the Abydos pictures, I had a dig around and found a couple more to complement them.

The first one taken in 1905 is slightly more wider than the one Stan posted, but it is the same building. It shows very clearly the amount of restoration work that has taken place since, notice that very little exists above about ¾ the way up the support pillars.

This is a modern day picture taken more face on and the restoration work is clearly seen as the pinkish colour on top of the pillars and the top facia lintel above them.

This is a closer view of the restored pillars and is the opposite angle to where Stan’s picture was taken from.

Abydos was my biggest let down from a photography point of view, we had travelled by private taxi in the usual manic convoy. I was taking video en route and only had a point and shoot camera with me that Mrs H was in charge of. It was only after we arrived home that it became apparent that the colour sensor in the camera had failed and most of it was a horrible reddish colour, most of you will have run out of one particular colour ink whilst printing a picture, same result! The only good thing was that when viewed at home I noticed that in my shots of the Nile, it was red! So you could say that I have witnessed one of the ten plagues of Egypt, maybe Moses had a dodgy video camera as well. Fortunately I took plenty of pictures of the famous ‘Kings List’ with the point and shoot, so all was not lost.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I don't know about the blue side being slow, Stan! More 'non-existent' at the moment! :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Whoops! Sorry, Stan! I've just noticed you said 'dead' in your post! It's certainly that alright! :) Still, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, can you? Nice to see some more photos on here too.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is maybe a stupid question but when the restorations were made and presumably made over time 'who' was funding this? Were these restorations gov't projects? Projects by different Universities (as I've noticed study some of the sites) or independent gov't councils that wanted to improve tourism to the area?

I have to admit to loving all the statues, scuptures but I haven't spent 'lots' of time actually studying the restoration of the different sites and monuments.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am not the best qualified to answer this, but I suspect it is an assortment of different sources and funding by various countries over the years. Another one that has been heavily restored is the temple of Hatshepsut (I will post some pictures later) and that restoration goes back someway to the turn of the century when Naville turned over his concession and Herbert Winlock began years of excavation and restoration at the temple. It was the Polish National Academy of Sciences that restored it to the three levels you see today.

The subject of restoration is of course relevant to any particular era, many monuments were restored in antiquity so it is not a new phenomenon. The great Sphinx is a good example as it was restored by Pharaohs and Romans alike as well as today’s recent repairs by Zahi.
LivinginLuxor

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Not wishing to steal Horus's thunder - here's 3 early photos of Hatshepsut's temple.

Dated 1895

Undated, but possibly much earlier - note the upper level, where only the granite entrance is standing.

THis stereogram is dated 1905 - restoration is well under way.
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

I've enjoyed comparing those photos, very nice to see the differences, some better, some worse.
A-four

Post by A-four »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:This is maybe a stupid question but when the restorations were made and presumably made over time 'who' was funding this? Were these restorations gov't projects? Projects by different Universities (as I've noticed study some of the sites) or independent gov't councils that wanted to improve tourism to the area?

I have to admit to loving all the statues, scuptures but I haven't spent 'lots' of time actually studying the restoration of the different sites and monuments.
Yer know this is a fantastic question that has been posted here by LLL. In the old days most of the funding for such work in Egypt that was carried out by such famous people as Petrie, was paid for by funds collected from Bible societies in the UK, who were always hoping that he would come up with something in relation to either JC or the Old Testament. God bless him he never did, even when he actually tried, up in Joppa etc. I remember details of his old mucker Dr Margaret Murry, and what she had to say about his 'state of faith' towards the end of his life. God bless that little Margaret Murry,........a real trooper.

Let us also understand that labour has always been cheap in Egypt, even now the young men who carry away spoil on a dig site are paid only 20LE a day, and even less in Upper Egypt.
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

LivinginLuxor wrote:Not wishing to steal Horus's thunder - here's 3 early photos of Hatshepsut's temple.

Dated 1895

Undated, but possibly much earlier - note the upper level, where only the granite entrance is standing.

THis stereogram is dated 1905 - restoration is well under way.
And here's a 'now' photo taken from a Hot Air Balloon (April 2011) (You'll probably need to click on it to get a better view.)

Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Some additional photo's of the Ramesseum located on Luxor’s West Bank take from a Hot Air Balloon (April 2011)

Sadly I think the pigeons and other birds and bats are going to do as much damage as the humans are!
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley