Sacred Lake Theory

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-four

Re: Sacred Lake Theory

Post by A-four »

fair point Horus, fair point.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I never have a problem with theories just so long as they are practical, but as I have outlined in the early part of my posts in this thread, no one can explain how the said tunnel would work. If anyone can explain how a tunnel connecting to the Nile would actually not make it overflow the lake when the river was in flood, or drain the lake when it was low, then I may give it some credence. It is also well documented that wading birds in particular can carry fish eggs on their legs and of course Catfish can survive a long time out of water and will often travel overland to new pools, it is not hard to see this happening during a period of inundation.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Horus, how do I get to see your photos instead of little coloured boxes ? Thankyou -- :ni:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jay, I think it is because the post is older than the new forum design. I will have a look to see if I can fix it, so check a little later. :up
EDIT: All pictures are now fixed ;)
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Did it not occur to anyone that maybe some of the locals caught some fish from the river or somewhere else and released them in there for their own convenience? Wouldn't put it past 'em! :mrgreen:
Carpe diem! :le:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A lot more plausible explanation than mysterious tunnels IMO. ;)
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Well, they are such an enterprising lot, when the mood takes them. :-) :shark:
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

My theory...big birds fished them out of the Nile but dropped them out of their beaks as they flew over Karnak Temple. :-)
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Love it! Quite possible... it is Egypt after all! :D
Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Just by way of throwing an idea into the hat, some fish-eggs are sticky. Nature designs them this way so that they will adhere to the legs of water birds, which will fly off with them attached. They then become detached by the impact of landing on another piece of water. This is why pike in Britain often appear as from nowhere in isolated pools that were once devoid of them. Anglers have often been wrongly blamed for this. But do Nile Perch eggs travel the same way? I don't know.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Welcome to the Egypt4U forum Ra-Mont :) look forwards to you posting on here.
The fish egg theory goes down well with me :up a much more logical idea, nature usually takes care of things so no need for wild theories to explain a natural event.
Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Horus wrote:Welcome to the Egypt4U forum Ra-Mont :) look forwards to you posting on here.
The fish egg theory goes down well with me :up a much more logical idea, nature usually takes care of things so no need for wild theories to explain a natural event.
Thank you for the welcome(s), Horus. I see now that you beat me to the sticky egg theory in a post above (I should stop posting and eating at the same time). In support of the theory, some casual internet browsing turned up a tit-bit, apparently poorly translated from another language into English, which appears to confirm that the eggs of the Nile perch do have a sticky quality: "The female lays egg cell profusely to stick to it [a plant root] and after vaccination male Alachoc [Nile perch] move to spin around and the length of time in order to be cleaned and ventilated to prevent any deposits on them." (my emphasis) So, even though not proven, the theory cannot, at least, be ruled out for now.

I don't yet have the ten posts required to post external links, but if other members look at the likes of shvong, exact-sciences, Nile perch, I'm sure they'll find the source.

R.J.T.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

There you go! I knew we were right all along :lol: :lol:
Yes the ten posts thing is a bit of a pain, but neccessary to prevent spamming, you will soon have enough posts, but anything desperate just let me know and i will post it for you.
Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

Horus wrote:There you go! I knew we were right all along :lol: :lol:
Yes the ten posts thing is a bit of a pain, but neccessary to prevent spamming, you will soon have enough posts, but anything desperate just let me know and i will post it for you.
Thanks. (Aha; another post already)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I like the sticky egg theory. Words for me :!: :P Not that I'm an expert on fish but that theory holds a very high degree of plausibility.

On another note - welcome to E4U RJM!! The 10 post thing is a pain but you'll quickly get behind it. Looking forward to exchanging ideas, thoughts, observations with you.
Ra-Mont

Post by Ra-Mont »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I like the sticky egg theory. Words for me :!: :P Not that I'm an expert on fish but that theory holds a very high degree of plausibility.

On another note - welcome to E4U RJM!! The 10 post thing is a pain but you'll quickly get behind it. Looking forward to exchanging ideas, thoughts, observations with you.
Thanks, LovelyLadyLux. I'm not a fish expert either, though years of angling as a teenager saw me learning a little from books. And I too look forward to our exchange of ideas, thoughts and observations. It never hurts to offer ideas to the world, does it? :up

R.J.T.