Based on your knowledge of Egyptian history.........

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Based on your knowledge of Egyptian history.........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is a more general question but based on your own knowledge of Egyptian history and their perennial treatment of women and based on the advances that women have made there over the years do you think that now, post revolution, women will still continue to make social advances? OR do you think the status of women will fall to a lower level particularly if Egypt starts to come under Sharia law? (As in Saudi)

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

If they do, it will surely be "shweya shweya". Don't hold your breath, sadly. :cry:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good question :) I would think that the two go hand in hand.
A more liberal Egypt must inevitably result in more freedom for women in the general sense, not that they are necessarily oppressed as such, bur rather their role is restricted by culture as it is in a lot of other societies. With a more relaxed and less controlled society it is more likely that women will start to take a more pro-active role, but that will take time. However under strict Sharia law and I mean strict, the role of women is seriously curtailed in countries where this is practiced, so I suppose that just so long as the women of Egypt are educated enough and free enough at the next election to figure out the consequences of voting for such a government, then one would not be elected. If as may be the case the women are not educated enough to realise the consequences, then an excellent opportunity will have been missed. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My thoughts exactly H. It is going to be very interesting to watch the outcome of the Revolution. If Egypt moves in the direction Saudi took it will not bode well for women however if Egypt truly embraces 'democratic freedom' it will give women more freedom which will cause a culture clash and the 'culture' and 'role' of women in Egypt and other Arab countries has been quite oppressively defined (as per North American standards).

I am quite keen to watch how the role of women will evolve. Seems that the60ies and 70ies here brought a breaking down of roles but there also seemed to be more of universally embraced breakdown. I'm not sure Arab men will embrace lots of 'new' freedoms for women the same way especially if it involves their own mothers and sisters.

I often think the tradition of arranged marriages won't help women either.