Egyptian tomb hunting

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Egyptian tomb hunting

Post by Grandad »

Channel 5 TV put out a two part program on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings entitled Egyptian Tomb Hunting. This is about current archeology going on to find more tombs. One new tomb as yet uncleared, is accessed by a 15 metre vertical shaft. Well worth watching on catch up.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Egyptian tomb hunting

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I really wish our TV here was as good as what you're getting there. I'd love to see this. Hopefully it'll come here soon
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

While waiting for balloons and such I used to study the mountains on the west bank, something wasn't quite right . It didn't take long to realise that some of the huge slopes were very steep but not natural. The incline was wrong so obviously they were man made to disguise something - or just spoil.

When travelling around and not knowing really where I was, just not at the destination I started a "game". I would try and identify areas of antiquities by the slope of the mountains. DH then would give me the name of the place, sometimes he knew there were antiquities there sometimes not, but it proved to be quite reliable and interesting to me at least. I believe what Kent Weeks said to me once. "If we continue to excavate at the current rate for the next 1,000 years we still wouldn't have discovered all that there is to find."
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I watched the 2-part program, really interesting..............although Tony Robinson got on my nerves sometimes ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dylis
I am sure Kent Weeks is correct in his view MD. These projects take many years especially as they only work on them for a few months each year. Something that registered with me was that if they could find some hard base in the sand, that could well turn out to be part of a causeway which I think you are referring to in your post. And that can lead to a tomb entrance. They are really interesting programs particularly the finds at Aswan.

@Kiya
I do agree Kiya, Tony Robinson can get on your nerves a bit. I can still only see him as Baldrick in Black Adder :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It wasn't the fact that he was presenting the program , just that his slow decend into the

shafts/tombs, if he was really that scared he shouldn't have done it :roll: