Photo Competition

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Photo Competition

Post by Horus »

I was thinking of asking Keefy to get us the photo competition section up and running. Many members have lots of pictures and I am sure that they would love to share them with the rest of us. A similar competition runs on the 'Blue' site but I would propose something a little different. Most people who have been to Egypt have visited at least one of the popular sites and taken a few pictures, so instead of the winner choosing the subject I was going to suggest the following:
I have in my possession a collection of David Roberts drawings made by him around 1838. They are beautifully done and show most of the well-known sites as they actually looked when he drew them. So my idea is that I will scan (well photograph as they are A2 size) them all and each month I will post one as the theme for the competition. As well as giving us a pre-set subject, I think that the drawings themselves will also generate some discussion regarding the changes that have taken place at the individual sites. Hopefully people will then add to the monthly thread with other pictures of the theme subject from their own collection. In addition to entering their own favourite photograph into the actual photo competition, I am sure that there were many times when you wished you could have shown more than just one of your photo's so here is your chance, comments please.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Bump :D
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Looking forward to hearing more about this competition Horus. :) [/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Good idea Horus :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I like the idea Horus, why not have a pilot run in January to see how it works out. (And publicise it on the blue and red areas)

My only reservation is that it might be a bit limiting for most members, me included. I trust that you would use the more regularly visited sites or places in Egypt so as to include as many members as possible.

I assume that there would be a thread each month solely for the purpose of discussing that subject and adding other pics, and not to digress down other avenues.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes that was the general idea Grandad :) The subject would be for example an old drawing of Karnak. That itself would hopefully open up a bit of discussion by anyone who has been there and can see the differences that 150 years can make. Hopefully we will then get a few more pictures posted by others that may add some more interest to the popic. People could then get to post as many pictures of that months topic within the thread that they feel were worth sharing. Finally everyone could enter a picture of the topic (in this example Karnak) to be judged in a monthly competition. My idea was to get people a bit more involved in the subject rather than just a one off entry in a competition. :D