Further Update From Grandad

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Further Update From Grandad

Post by Grandad »

An afternoon at Folkestone Harbour Arm
I know I have told you about this place which is the Harbour Arm from which the Golden Arrow used to depart by ferry to France. It has now become a lively place with cafes and bars and at weekends many live music groups. It really buzzes at weekends.
The platform that the Golden Arrow departed from, sorry a bit overcast at the time
20190726 Folkestone Harbour Arm and Pavlova-002.jpg

Fortunately, on Friday, most of my family (2 sons, daughter, 2 daughters in law, my wife and grandson Louis except the other grandkids) were not working so we all went to the Arm for some tapas style platters for lunch.
The Tapas just kept coming
20190726 Folkestone Harbour Arm and Pavlova-014.jpg
Louis, now 10, preferred to have fish and chips SO he borrowed dads mobile and went off to the 'chippie'. Paid for his lunch with dads phone then returned it to him. The thought crossed my mind "Are we so far away from a cashless society"? I am sure that less and less cash will actually be carried which should reduce street muggings....I hope.

I took the scooter, of course, and whizzed around on my own taking a few snaps with my phone and selfie stick. I am quite liking taking pictures that way and as the Huawei has a very competent camera, I tend to get some acceptable results.
The Champagne Bar in the lighthouse at the end of the arm and a customs boat that intercepts immigrants in their small inflatable dinghies.
20190726 Folkestone Harbour Arm and Pavlova-033.jpg
20190726 Folkestone Harbour Arm and Pavlova-001.jpg
Then back to #2 sons home for a cuppa and strawberry pavlova and lemon drizzle cake. And I am trying to lose some weight?
20190726 Folkestone Harbour Arm and Pavlova-039.jpg
More to follow.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Further Update From Grandad

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds like a lovely day out and very nice photos. I particularly like the one of the lighthouse and the next of the boat.

Are you really getting that many sneaking in via boat to the shores? That must be one awful trip to be dumped on a beach in an unknown place - or - are they organized enough to have people in the UK waiting for them?

Years ago we were getting people from China being sailed across the Pacific to get to within a sight of shore and then pushed overboard to swim to shore whist the crew sunk the ship. Canada was rounding them up but most were intent on making it to the USA and way back then they probably could have easily walked across the Border via cross in a remote area.

Your dessert definitely looks pretty decent too and one good dessert and I'd imagine weight loss efforts for the week could be gone by the way. :P :P :P
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, it is only about 22 miles across the channel from France and you would not believe what some immigrants use to get across. I think they are fleeced in France for the provision of some sort of inflatable dinghy but some of these are no more than kids toys and often when they are retrieved from the channel they are already taking on water BUT....
The immigrants arrive either by themselves or on a customs or some other boat and they already know what numbers to call to get support and benefit. They are accommodated and given a daily allowance for food so within hours their life is already much better........AT TAXPAYERS EXPENSE. :xx
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Another Time at Folkestone
We all know of Artist Antony Gormleys work. mainly for his 'Angel of the North' at Gateshead and his 'Another Place' figures on Crosby Beach, Mersyside. I was unaware that he had a further 100 casts made of the male form and these are being exhibited at various sites around the world under the title 'Another Time'. So, I was surprised to find one of his figures on the loading deck below the Harbour Arm.
20190726 Folkestone Harbour Arm and Pavlova-007.jpg
I rather like his concept which I guess is about 'Rebirth' when a statue is completely immersed as the tide rises and re-appears as the tide falls. Fortunately the tide was right out so I was able to get a picture.
It is discussed on this video

https://www.creativefolkestone.org.uk/a ... -artworks/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Grandad and interesting day out :)