An Update From Grandad

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

An Update From Grandad

Post by Grandad »

An Update From Grandad Part 1

You may have noticed that I have been almost entirely absent from the forum for over a week. It started with very little to say or contribute but then some events absorbed my time and, other than looking in each day, I posted very little.
It really started at 01.45 last Sunday morning. There was a loud thumping and bumping sound on the stairs then my wife's strained voice "Help me, I've fallen down the stairs". Fortunately we have a ninety degree turn halfway down so she had fallen seven treads ending up in a pile on the seventh tread. I checked to see if she appeared to have broken any bones and as that did not appear to be the case, I helped her up and back to her room. We were both very shaken, her from her misfortune and me from my anxiety about her fall.
As the following days passed more and more bruises became evident and I think she was in a bit of post traumatic shock but would not let me call medical attention. Hopefully the bruising and pain have reached a peak now and as I try to encourage her that over the coning days, that will subside.
To go to the bathroom she turns left from her room but somehow she stumbled to the right and although she grabbed the handrail, she fell down the stairs.
As you all know we are both in our eighties and cannot risk a recurrence so I immediately ordered a small light with movement sensor to plug into the landing electric socket. I also ordered a stair gate from Amazon. The light was put in place immediately, the stair gate is just finished assembly and installation. How could something SO simple be SO complicated to assemble. This is not helped by the illustrations that are so small and feint I need an illuminated magnifier to read them.....but I am done now and hopefully by this time next week, my wife will be much recovered.

More to follow.......

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: An Update From Grandad

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Oh my goodness heavens!!!!! I definitely hope all is ok and there is nothing medical-wise hidden underneath...……

Hate to say it but a "fall" in a senior person can be so devastatingly bad. Truly hope all is well.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

And I should add I thought you both had sauntered off on a week of holidays.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OMG! I was wondering where you were, thank goodness Mrs G is OK, now I don't want to lecture you and knowing that my wife would react the same to any notion of seeking medical attention, but here goes, you must insist that she gets checked over even if you have to get some other family members involved. As LLL says, the older we get the more vulnerable we are to knocks and falls. I don't want to be a doom merchant but she may have an injury that is not so apparent especially if she is bruised and sore.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I appreciate your concern and comments folks. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Now then, scooters
I have probably mentioned that I am looking for another scooter. Although the present one is ideal for popping into town AND taking in the boot of a car, I would like one with a bit more range and comfort. I had an Invacare Orion Pro4 delivered last Tuesday. From the illustration it looked about right but when delivered, it is in fact much larger than I want mainly because the turning circle is too large for our narrow streets and pavements. I had a word and they are bringing a smaller road legal scooter tomorrow and they will take the other one away.
The second one is a Pride Colt Deluxe which comes from the same stable as my three wheeler. I am optimistic that I shall be happy with this one as long as I get a good deal.

The one going back and the other one to try tomorrow.
invacare-orion-pro-mobility-scooter-3880.jpg
pride-colt-deluxe-mobility-scooter-3485.jpg
More to follow.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Glad to see you back Grandad..............Wishing Mrs G a speedy recovery, but, I would get her checked :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, regarding Mrs G's fall, you mentioned fitting a gate? is that because it is possible to fall down the stairs as you pass them on the way to the bathroom? Sorry to be asking questions, but I am a little concerned that you both may be at risk should either of you stumble. My own mum had a similar fall as she was becoming unsteady on her feet and athough she seemed OK at the time she had broken her shoulder joint but at the time only complained of a bit of pain. The light is a good idea, but why not get an LED one with a timer so that it is on all night and not relying upon sensing someones presence? Also the gate, is it suitable for an adult? I ask because a child gate is unlikely to stop an adult from falling over it or crashing through it should they fall.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

First the scooter. The second one arrived yesterday and I am very happy with it. Here is a picture of my 'Brace' of Prime scooters, the little GoGo car boot scooter and the medium size Colt. So I am now set for any scooter need. ;) :lol:
IMG_20190730_113855.jpg
And the stair gate. Yes it is really a childs gate BUT I have mounted it high and if anyone fell against it the gate would be stopped by the right hand stairs hand rail. There is a low risk of a recurrence because, as you can see in the picture, my wife turns left from her room to the bathroom next door.
If I can find short lengths of proper banister rails I will make a strong gate matching the other banisters but for the moment she is happy that this gate gives her the security she feels she needs.
IMG_20190730_112243_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Scooters look good Grandad, looks like you have the mobility aspect covered. :up
Still not sure about the gate Grandad as they are not really high enough for an adult, but I suppose its better than nothing. Have you considered adding a horizontal grab rail adjacent the gate and another vertical one between the bedroom and bathroom doors? that way you would have something to grab should either of you stumble at the top of the stairs. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The new scooter is looking good Grandad "YOU'VE GOT WHEELS!" which is so important to be able to get out and about and run the errands etc.

With the new scooter and maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it looks like the back seat has a slight angle back yet the steering is well forward. Is it comfortable & easy to steer? (but again maybe I'm just seeing more angles than there really are)

Guess I have to say I'm on the same page as H re: baby gate - BE CAREFUL with it as adults are way more top heavy than kids and if you're wobbling it is just way too easy to go over one and make the fall even worse.

All in all the two scooters are looking good and maybe it is just coincidental but they're both red.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, the new'ish scooter has full seat adjustment just like a car seat and the steering column angle can be adjusted so easy to adjust to suit most comfortable position. I like it that they are both red BUT for the small one I have a small set of blue panels so I could have a change if I wished. They just clip on.
As for the gate, I DO accept yours and Horus's opinion but we are not decrepit octogenarians and my wife will probably never fall that way again. She remembers precisely how it happened and it is something to be aware of. I will still make a stronger one if I can find the right timber. (I need abut 85cm lengths and the shortest available are 2.4 metres)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

So sorry to hear about your wife's fall, it must have been a dreadful shock for you both. Glad she seems to be OK & I think the gate is an excellent idea. Enjoy your new scooter.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:38 am Grandad, The light is a good idea, but why not get an LED one with a timer so that it is on all night and not relying upon sensing someones presence?
Horus, the one I bought is similar to what you describe. It has a low light on all the time after dusk and the brighter back light comes on when triggered by movement. It is plugged into a socket just above skirting level so the floor is adequately lit.

There was just a single socket outlet so I bought one of these to make it a double.

I have used several of these around the house and they are a simple solution when an additional socket is required for a light or telephone etc.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I like these type lights and have plug in lights in all the bathrooms and hallways here. They turn on at dusk and give a low light but get brighter soon as movement is sensed. I find them to be ideal for late night bathroom breaks.