The Salutation Hotel and Garden

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The Salutation Hotel and Garden

Post by Grandad »

For 25 years before I retired I worked for a company based in Sandwich, Kent. Sandwich, a former Cinque Port, is steeped in history and a very short distance from where the Romans first landed in AD43. It is a delightful and unspoilt old town and,. although I passed through every day, I never knew of The Salutation Hotel, situated in Knightrider Street just off The Quayside.
The house was built at the beginning of the twentieth century to a design by Sir Edwin Lutyens. It became the first Grade 1 listed building of the twentieth century in England.
The house stands in 3.7 acres of land which was landscaped into beautiful gardens in 1912 to a design by Lutyens. Through neglect, the gardens became unkempt and overgrown until in recent years they have been restored to the original plans. There is now a full time gardening staff and volunteers led by head gardener Steve Edney, a Chelsea Gold Medal Winner.
My daughter in law is a keen gardener and member of the RHS and her and my son invited to take us to see the garden yesterday.
I decided not to take my camera and to rely instead on my mobile phone with a selfie stick which I could use with my left hand, walking stick in my right. I took around 80 pictures and have selected just 10 to post here to give you a flavour of this beautiful informal garden with many 'rooms' and hidden corners to sit and contemplate.

Building Frontage
20190710 The Salutation Garden.jpg
Around the paths and borders
20190710 The Salutation Garden-001.jpg
20190710 The Salutation Garden-002.jpg
20190710 The Salutation Garden-003.jpg
20190710 The Salutation Garden-004.jpg
More pictures on page two:...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Salutation Hotel and Garden

Post by Grandad »

The Salutation Hotel and Garden.....Page 2
A quiet corner to contemplate the garden

20190710 The Salutation Garden-005.jpg
A formal colonnade
20190710 The Salutation Garden-006.jpg
A path with a view
20190710 The Salutation Garden-007.jpg
Rear of the building and the terrace
20190710 The Salutation Garden-008.jpg
A secluded spot for tea and cakes
20190710 The Salutation Garden-009.jpg
I have a strong suspicion that we shall be visiting this garden again, probably with our daughter and son in law.....our other willing transports ;) :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad Terrific photos and those ARE my kind of gardens! They're beautiful. I especially liked seeing the banana tree tucked into the gardens (last photo of page 1). Lots of colour and all sorts of different heights - beautiful.

House is looking really super nice too. Love that style of red brick square style. That would be the place to visit.

Do Houses with gardens like these offer their plants or I guess I should say cuttings & seeds from their plants for sale to the public?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Yes LLL, they DO sell plants which adds to the income of the garden. There is a fairly high admission charge to visit this garden, £8.50, but it would have high overheads and is off the main tourist trail.
Steve the head gardener lives just about 3 mil es away where he has his own garden/nursery which is also 3.7 acres. Very busy and successful gardener.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

For those who have watched Gogglebox in the past, this is the home of that boozy couple Dom and Steph.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely photos Grandad and I am in complete agreement with LLL, this really is my kind of garden, lots of informal planting. With your mention of Dom & Steph does that mean the house is divided up into separate dwellings inside? or do they own it in some way?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
H, my daughter believes they may no longer own the property but I have not heard that.
It is described as a Boutique Hotel. There are just a few rooms in the main building, other rooms in another nearby building, plus two cottages near the house. All rooms are to a very high luxury standard with prices to match.
Steph and Dom live/lived in part of the house and ran it as a hotel.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah now you mention it I think I read an article somewhere that was very critical of their hotel for some reason or other, I think it was do with kitchen hygiene if I am not mistaken.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Beautiful gardens and very colourful :)

I'm curious to why the street in your first post first paragraph was named " Knightrider Street " is there a good reason for this :?: