That time of year again

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

That time of year again

Post by Horus »

We have a very good show of Bluebells this year, all the woodlands are full of flowers. For some reason the flowers are quite tight and so the deep blue colour is more pronounced although later on they will open more and look a lot paler. Not yet started to release the heady perfume that makes walking through these woods such a pleasure. Lots of other wild flowers starting to show as are some hedgerow and tree blossoms, a really good show of Blackthorn (Sloe) this year. At the moment there is lots of wild garlic springing up, no flowers of yet, but a really strong smell especially when Annie runs through it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: That time of year again

Post by Grandad »

You are correct H "That time of year again" colour and new growth all around in the countryside. I must see if I can persuade one of the family to run us out to see the local bluebells. We have woodlands all around the city so not far to go to find a blue carpet.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely is that time of year again in your neck of the woods H. The splash of blue is wonderful. Can only imagine the scent of all the flowers when Annie charges (ok - she IS a terrier so thought charge described better than run ;) ) through them ;)

In photo #2 - what are the white flowers? Photos aren't opening large enough for me to make them out - Iberis aka CandyTuff? Or white bluebells?

Wonder, way back when, if these all were hand planted in a small garden and just spread out naturally over time? Or if a bird dropped a single bulb and it just spread? Curiouser and curiouser.

Definitely beautiful. Wish we had something similar here. Would be lovely to see :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, charge is a good description, from the rear she resembles a charging buffalo, but to be fair she does treat the Bluebells with some respect and usually keeps to the trails, but by the stream is a different kettle of fish as she ploughs through the wild garlic. The leaves are easily bruised and within seconds the air and Annie are reeking of garlic, no fear of vampires in those woods.

As to the white flowers, well I have to admit you have caught me out there, but in my own defence we have over 75 wild flowers in the UK which have white flowers and like you I cannot see clearly enough to be certain which they are. It was just a passing shot but next time out I must get a closer look for you.

In the UK Bluebells are a native species found in most of our ancient/old deciduous woodland, never if ever are they found in pine forests. They thrive in woodland that has an open canopy during the Winter and the Bluebell leaves can be seen months before the flower stem shoots up. That always happens just as the canopy of leaves starts to appear and then it becomes a race for the sunlight, so they are always blooming in a dappled shade, gorgeous on a sunny day. As the ‘bell’ starts to open fully the deep blue will give way to a paler powder blue and then the perfume will fill the woodlands for a couple of weeks before they disappear for another year.

Our native British Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) is really a relative of the Hyacinth and is the most beautiful and scented of all the variations. Unfortunately we have an escaped cultivated garden variety the Spanish bluebell (Hyacinthoides hispanica) which is rarely scented. Although they look very similar, if you know the differences they are easy to spot even when they are growing with our native species. Unfortunately these Spanish Bluebells are cross breeding and producing a hybrid variety (Hyacinthoides x massartiana) I often see these as they are either a pale blue, white or even pink flowered so they stand out. Although they are pretty in their own right there is a real danger that they could change our native varieties characteristics forever as they do readily cross breed giving a viable hybrid.

As to how they actually spread, well you have to remember that these are an ancient species and as such most of the British woodlands would have contained them at one time. As the human habitation expanded and left smaller isolated woodlands behind, these woodlands became the refuge of our native Bluebells and just as long as they remain undisturbed they should be with us a long time yet.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is very unfortunate re: Spanish species. Hopefully they're not going to be too invasive and won't take over but I guess this speaks to having good enforcement at Borders to keep plants/animals/insect etc in their original habitats.

I often wonder where species come from and often mull why some birds/animals develop certain traits or characteristics and not others. Doubt there really is an answer but it gives me something to think about.

Am sure the Bluebells this time of year are stunning and adding in a fragrance would make a walk quite a delightful adventure. Am equally sure Annie isn't too hard on the bluebells too ;) ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Horus, it is nice to see the bluebells etc in bloom. I can just imagine the fragrance from here :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have posted this link to a video I made a couple of years ago, I have shown it before, but saying as we are talking about Bluebells I thought that I would post it again. This is the same woodland as in my earlier images and a favourite walk for Annie and myself. Sound on folks :hp (Sometimes you may need to pull the video slider back to the start if it start halfway ;) )

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That really is lovely Horus :up I don't recall seeing it before but that's not unusual, have to think hard what day it is :lol:
I thought, how very 'English'. I doubt if you would find scenes like those anywhere else. Our green and pleasant land. :up
Annie's antics reminded me of our Millie. She was just the same in water, clean or dirty, in she went. She is still very much missed by our daughter and family.
I don't have anything to contribute to the bluebell theme, not yet persuaded someone to take us to the woods :(
I did just scoot down the road to look for something to post. An adjoining road has an avenue of May trees, or I guess that is what they are. No fruit but splendid blossom this time in the year. I was a little late but they still look good. Had to hard crop to cut out all the cars :(
20190426 Blossom in Beaconsfield Road.jpg
Also there is a pretty tree on the village green so here is that one to add to the theme of the thread.
20190426 St Stephens Green.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos of the blossoms. Seems most of our trees have exploded into bloom too. I didn't have my camera on me however the big old magnolia tree at the Pottery Studio was in full bloom and absolutely lovely.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely group of trees Grandad although I think that they are Cherry Trees (Prunus) they come in many shades from deep pink to white. Beautiful at this time of the year although the blossom is soon gone with the slightest breeze, in my experience they will be covered in fruit later in the year and many are quite edible and sweet, problem is the birds get there first. :(
Yes we do have such a beautiful and diverse countryside that really has no equal, we are very fortunate and if by chance we get a little sunshine to go with it then its unbeatable. Our pets become such a big part of our families and like other members of our families we really miss them when they are no longer here with us, today is exactly six years on from such a day and my little Annie does her best to fill that gap, I would be lost without her :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@ Horus... I did remember :a28:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A couple of more random images:
The 1st one is my latest Moth Orchid, a very nice light yellow in colour.
The 2nd is a shot I took of a row of Blackthorn bushes that form a tunnel on the opposite side of this hedge and Annie and I often walk through it in the early Spring. It is like walking through a snow tunnel with so many blossoms all around us and I look forwards each year to when this happens. For those who do not know, the Blackthorn bush produces the berries known as 'Sloe' berries which are as big as an Olive and often used to make 'Sloe Gin'. If the amount of flowers here were to result in as many berries, then you would need a lorry to take them away, however the birds usually make short work of them.
DSCN6204.jpg
DSCN6193.jpg
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As an aside, if you look to the right of the Blackthorn hedge you will see a slight worn path in the grass. This is made by Badgers as they head out from their set further into the wood.