Amazon logistics

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Amazon logistics

Post by Grandad »

On Monday I ordered an item on Amazon and as a special trial offer of 99p (£0.99) for 7 day Prime membership came up, I opted to accept it knowing that I would be placing more orders in the coming days.
I ordered 3 items which under the Prime service, were delivered next day, Tuesday, Wednesday and Today. All free next day delivery.
You also have the advantage to track exactly where your parcel is which is helpful if you have some errand or job to do.
Our local white van delivery chap is eastern European who always has a smile on his face. Really nice guy.
Today I asked him how many drops he does in a day "Up to 300" was his reply. I know they are paid very little for each drop but if you are prepared to work hard, the rewards can still be good.
Well done to him and it is very evident how these guys put local lads to shame with their work ethic. The same goes for local taxi drivers from Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Amazon logistics

Post by Mad Dilys »

Unfortunately true Grandad.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I lived in the States I ordered items from Amazon and they always arrived fast, well boxed and not 1 issue at all.

Tonight it is interesting as one of the TV News shows is now doing an investigation re: horrible working conditions at Amazon. Apparently you are watched from the second you enter the building and are expected to work! You get 15 minute breaks where you can go to the bathroom or get a drink of water but otherwise you're to be at your post 'working'! What kicked this investigation off is two calls that came in from Amazon where the workers were so stressed (ostensibly from working) they were suicidal and trying to hurt themselves.

The mantra of the TV News is that Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world yet he has terribly unhappy workers and seems to be running an extremely tight ship.

I do kinda wonder IF it is that bad. Maybe it is but if you're hired to work you must work. All to often I can walk into any number of stores here and see the staff chatting to themselves to the point I feel I'd be intruding if I had to ask for something.

I also do agree that new arrivals to Canada do seem to want to work harder, longer, better than our own who do, by and large, seem to want to live off welfare at my expense and contribute nothing to the economy.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On another note Amazon isn't too strong in Canada. I don't see the same "deals" as you get there and what we have access to is sometimes fairly small.

Prime here is $99/yr + tax which does give you Amazon TV and free shipping on what you buy (**but I have to add that I'm not sure what you buy has to reach a minimum of $25 to make it eligible for free shipping).
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, we also get shock stories of working conditions at Amazon. I believe they are hard taskmasters BUT if they don't like it, they don't HAVE to work there.
Their 'Logistics' is really just another courier set up.
We have several major such companies including Hermes, Yodel, DPD and others who provide an excellent service including up to the minute information about exactly where your parcel is and when it will be delivered.
All thanks to more 'techie stuff' GPS in this case :up
:gg: