Remind me again, is it still only February?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Remind me again, is it still only February?

Post by Grandad »

Daughter and SiL invited us to join them yesterday for a trip to Minnis Bay on the North Kent Coast. It is only about a dozen miles and as the weather forecast was good, we gratefully accepted.
To say the weather was and is still good, is an understatement. We don't normally get February days with temperatures approaching 20, just hope we don't pay for it in March. Anyhow, here are a few snaps from our outing.

Minnis Bay is probably the best sandy beach around the Kent coast, most are shingle. This early in the year the beach was almost deserted except for dog walkers. In the summer it is a very different picture.

Dogs are not allowed on the beach from May to September to avoid fouling when the beach is busy with holidaymakers. This probably sounds extreme to the good dog owners but unfortunately not all are 'Good' dog owners who clean up after their dog.

The images above are looking East. We walked (rode ;) ) to the West and came across this refreshment shack that we have not seen before but opted not to have coffee there.

Looking West you can just make out Reculver Towers on the horizon 3.5 miles away. I tried maximum zoom on the towers but there was SO MUCH HEAT HAZE that a clear image was not possible.

We went back to the cafe/restaurant that had been upgraded and improved since our last visit. We just wanted a sandwich (wrap for me) with some chips and a pint of local brew.

Our journey home went past our daughters home so we called in for a cuppa and to see how Tiggy (Tigs) their Bengal cross kitten is getting on. He is 5 months old, was recently neutered and is now allowed out. He is a most delightful and friendly little cat, and beautifully marked with Bengal stripes and large pointy ears.

Then home in time to see Wales thrash England in the 6 Nations.......

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Remind me again, is it still only February?

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Grandad :) .......did you say "heat wave"" ? wow! can you send some heat this way, I've been having my heating on everyday :o

I could just go one of that wraps right now, looks very tasty :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great photos! Looks to be a lovely beach and the type I would love to be walking (our beaches are mostly logs & rock so kinda hard to get a decent walk going on them without having to climb and watch where you're stepping)>

Quite like the two greyhounds that are being walked. Used to have somebody around here who walked 3 but haven't seen them in well over a year or so now. Wonder if they were rescued racing dogs? And I further wonder how those dogs actually do as pets in that I'd assume they'd all be basically kennel rasied (socialized well?), taught 1 thing (to run and chase so would they actually come back if they got out or would they prefer to run run run?). There are specific rescue organizations here to rescue them and they seem to be popular as pets.

Definitely love the ceiling of the pub. What a great idea to decorate with heavy rope. For sure conveys a nautical theme. Hope you saved some of your lunch for me too! ;) I'll be arriving soon :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, we didn't talk to those people with greyhounds but the are most likely retired from racing and have been 'rescued'. From what I understand, they do make very good domestic pets and have good nature. No personal experience but that is what I have heard.
We have never had a dog but I admit to a soft spot for Staffies (Staffordshire Bull Terriers). We have a couple locally and they are always so friendly and good natured despite their appearance. Very solid little dogs. :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have no personal experience with greyhounds either other than what I've heard that they do make good pets and typically tend to be couch potatoes.

I like the look of Staffies myself too however here because of the bad rap Pit Bulls get most Home Owners Insurance companies will cancel your Home Owners policy if you own one. They classify them as a Bully breed and if you own ANY "bully" dogs or crosss thereof (as well as Rottweiller, Doberman, German Shepherd - long list) you run not being able to get Home Owners Insurance.