LOOKING UP

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

LOOKING UP

Post by Grandad »

I have not been away from the house since Saturday and, although a bit cloudy this morning, I decided to take a ride into town on my trusty scooter. To give my outing some purpose I took my camera and of course my mobile phone with the intention of taking a few pictures with both for comparison.
When we visit other places of interest it is too easy to just look ahead and around, but seldom up. My mission this morning then was to select a few old buildings in the city, look up, and take comparative pictures. This I did and for each subject I have created a two image collage with the Panasonic DC-FZ82 above and the Huawei P20 mobile phone image below. I just wanted to compare the two cameras but at the same time give something with, hopefully, some interest to you folks.

First, The House of Agnes Hotel. This building dates back to the 15th century and is just a short walk from my home. I know the building quite well because in the early 1960's when we had a young family, I used to do a lot of decorating, plumbing, carpentry etc to supplement my income and at one time a friend and I did a lot of redecoration in The House of Agnes.

I ventured into town. Sitting on the river stour, which passes under St Peters Street, is The Weavers House. This has for many years been a restaurant but the building was originally built by Hugenot weavers from France in 1507. They fled to avoid religious persecution and were eventually given the right to trade in Canterbury by Elizabeth I.

I moved on along into High Street to a building that I had planned to include, The Beaney Institute Museum. This was covered with scaffolding for some refurbishing work on the frontage, so I moved on. I am now in High Street and the next building that I thought would be of interest is Queen Elizabeths Guest Chamber.
This was a merchants house dating from late 15th century. Its name comes from a visit in 1573 by Queen Elizabeth I when there was a plan for her to meet the Duke of Alençon with the possibility that he may become her future husband. The liaison however came to nothing.
The front of the building was decorated in 1698 with elaborate painted plasterwork. I still clearly remember this but when Neros Cafe took over the premises, they painted over the decoration......Sacrilege

At that point I turned my 'chariot' around and started for home, just over a mile away. I passed the end of All Saints Lane (off St Peters Street) and could not resist a short trip down memory lane. The oldest building in All Saints Lane is All Saints Court attaching to which is All Saints Cottage. We rented the cottage for a year or so in the early years of our marriage, around 1961. The building is 16th century and the picture includes the window of what was our bedroom.

So there we are. An excuse to go out for an hour, take some pictures, and be home in time for coffee.....

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: LOOKING UP

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Your idea of looking UP was rather novel and interesting and I must say from your photos not lots has really changed. I tend to look straight on and what I see I dabble at, change up & out, fix, modify etc. but I rarely looking UP to see what is going on UP there. Interesting photos and a good look UP at the world today.