More camera stuff

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

More camera stuff

Post by Grandad »

Where are all the boys? I don't have anybody to chat with about camera stuff unless you girls have any comments.
The new series of 'Masterchef' started last evening and tonight sees the start of the new seasons 'Sewing Bee' Both excellent series which I DO watch and appreciate the skills of the participants BUT that is really girls stuff......isn't it?

I told that due to a faulty switch I discarded my trail camera and have yet to decide whether I will get another. Probably will a bit later in the year.

I also mentioned that I sold my Fuji X10 and was deliberating whether to sell my very last camera, the Panasonic bridge with 60x zoom. Well, on reflection I think I would miss the occasional need for a super zoom and have decided to keep it. SO......

In the last couple of days I have been experimenting with what cameras I have left. First the little action cam. I downloaded the app, set the camera up outside and waited for a fox to appear. I was able to do this on my mobile via wifi, sitting in the comfort of my lounge. No fox appeared before dark but I proved that it is a practical alternative to the trail cam, albeit you need to be watching the outside image on the mobile.
Then I did a similar test with the Panasonic which also has wifi. Another app downloaded and even better than the action cam. I have full remote control of the camera including zoom and manual settings, all from my mobile so I am now very pleased that I kept that camera. I hadn't tried the wifi before.

So there we are, sorry to be a bore girls but there is nobody else to talk to on boys stuff :(

:gg:
BBLUX
France

Re: More camera stuff

Post by BBLUX »

Hey Grandad. Just checking in and saw you post. You are not alone.

Interesting regarding your comments on the action camera. I got one just before we went over to El Gouna back in September. A Crosstour 1080P wifi. No real chance to experiment with it in advance but our son's partner used it underwater and got some interesting footage of numerous fish. When we get back to our home in France in April I will download the App to my phone or tablet and do some experimenting. We have a wireless PZT camera which includes an IR illuminator mounted on the barge board of the house which shows most of the garden. I have seen movement at night but unfortunately the record mode does not work correctly. It might be hedgehogs as we have found droppings but it may also be local cats. The waterproof action camera might enable me to video capture the creature.

The PZT camera enables us to check up on the garden from anywhere in the world via my phone.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ah! Good to see you BB, glad there are one or two blokes still around. ;)
I have used my action can (Victor 1080) in a car and also clamped on my mobility scooter. I then speed up the vid to condense say an hour's trip into a few minutes. Just for fun.
My 10 year old grandson has one and he is like a fish in water and has great fun taking vids under water.
I was very impressed when I tried my Panasonic camera this aft. I had total control from my mobile. Just got to find a useful application for that feature. Very impressive though. :up
bigken

Post by bigken »

Good choice in keeping your superzoom bridge camera, always handy and such a good zoom. I've never used a action camera, but I'm more than happy with the gear I have, from the Olympus TG5 for the below water shots, then I've got my Olympus OMD EM1 MK2 with 25mm prime, 12-100 F.4 and 40 -150 F2.8 and then there is my latest edition, a DJI Mavic Air drone, not to sure of its full potential as its not been out much, but when I have used it I have been more than happy with the results.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@bigken
Only just found your post BK, missed it somehow :(
WOW! You do like expensive toys. That drone looks very impressive. Didn't happen be be near Gatwick just before Christmas, DID YOU? :lol: :lol:
And a TG5 with underwater housing........out of the league of us poor old pensioners ;) :lol: :lol:

My best boys toy is my new Huawei P20 mobile. Love it :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The drone looks really impressive but, for me, looks well beyond my limited cyber abilities. I have a hard time with the TV remote! :o but it does look impressive BK.

I'd love to have an underwater camera. Not that "I" have been underwater in years but I used to love to snorkel and fish watch.
bigken

Post by bigken »

The TG5 is a lovely solid little camera Grandad

Here's a couple of snaps the Mrs took while out on the Red Sea last year, as a none swimmer I won't be using it much ;)

10037 10038
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Olympus looks nice and "OH WOW" you got dolphins or maybe porpoise underwater!!! Wooo Hooo!!! Excellent!! I like the other underwater photo too but don't have a clue what type of fish that might be.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Definitely dolphins LLL, and how great to get a small pod. That picture is really sharp BK, is your wife a keen swimmer as in snorkeling?
bigken

Post by bigken »

She's a good swimmer, but going from the amount of salt water she pinched from the Red Sea she's not cut out for snorkeling or scuba diving [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

The DJI drones are very easy to fly. It is possible to fly almost completely autonomously.
I used to use one here in Egypt for archaeological photography until the security scares in Cairo which put an end to all my flying here.
Mine was a carbon fibre Bumblebee
I cannot get image upload to work. I used to do loads but the forum does not seem to like me anymore :a7:

Do remember though any form of remote controlled aerial craft must not be operated within 5km of any airport...new laws coming in.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We have those laws in effect here now in that you're not to be flying a drone within 3km or maybe 5km near an airport.

One of the neighbours got a drone for Christmas. He was out test flying it and somehow lost it somewhere over other neighbours backyards. He posted a profuse apology to all of us by way of asking IF we should perhaps find it would we kindly return it to him. Not sure if he has got it back yet or not.

Personally I think having a drone would give some really interesting and terrific photo shots.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I believe most have a sort of 'return to base' function to brings them back to where they were launched by GPS.
As an aside, I used the distance app on my mobile yesterday. Obviously it works by GPS tracking and I was amazed that it recorded as using 12 of the 13 available satellites. I remember not too long ago when my car satnav found, at best, 5 satellites. And I guess the more there are, the more accurate your positioning.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Didn't realize a Drone had a "return to base" function and obviously the neighbour didn't either.

Getting tracked by 12 out of 13 satellites is pretty good too.
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

Drone flyaways are quite common with new or inexperienced owners. They are often sold mail order as easy to use but few appreciate what is involved in safely operating them and the laws surrounding their use.

bigken

Post by bigken »

I took mine to Iceland hoping to give it a good outing. Iceland in November isn't the best time of the year to fly a drone, strong winds, snow, more wind, then there was more snow :urm:. But then we got a perfect day, a lovely sunny winters day, so 3.5hrs into our drive to the diamond beach we stopped to give it a fly over a stunning volcanic rock field, nope couldn't get it of the ground, compass problems.
Just great, all that way and I was finally getting to fly it, then it packs in :o. Anyway we finally got to the beach and the good lady said to try it again, then lift off

The quality isn't to bad for a small drone ( the next model up the dji mavic pro comes Hasselblad camera on it :roll: ) battery life isn't to great, you get about 20 mins flying time, but it is pretty easy to operate, auto take off and landing. As for the none flying on the volcanic rock, possible magnetic field :ni:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Excellent images BK. And so bright and clear. Does it have an auto function to return to base when battery is getting low?
So the next model has Blad optics eh? Wow that is something else. I thought my new mobile was pretty good with Leica optics. ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Those are pretty phenomenal photos BK! The contrast of pure white snow to the darker back ground is really outstanding.

You're thinking volcanic rock is magnetic?

We have tons of volcanic rock here - we're almost ALL volcanic outcrop and no issues with magnets here (if I'm understanding your thought correctly). BUT, on the other hand, maybe all volcanic rock is not created equal. Would a high iron content lead to magnetism? No idea what is in our rock here but we're essentially on the top of volcanoes (huge round bays etc) but not the red iron ore type of rock.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Bigken
BK, when you travelled did you pack the drone in your case or in hand baggage and if so were there any problems at airport security???
bigken

Post by bigken »

It went in her hand luggage, I contacted Iceland Air via Facebook Messanger and asked them if it was ok to bring as hand luggage, all they asked for was the battery connections to be covered in insulation tape.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk