A new hobby for the coming year.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: A new hobby for the coming year.

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ruby Slippers wrote:LLL, have you ever tried a knitting machine as a hobby? Given your climate, I would think it would be very useful. :tk
I've always wanted one. :a4:

Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Mad Dilys wrote:
Ruby Slippers wrote:LLL, have you ever tried a knitting machine as a hobby? Given your climate, I would think it would be very useful. :tk
I've always wanted one. :a4:

A lot of them are being given away now, MD, so keep your ear to the ground.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have never tried a knitting machine. I've only ever known 1 friend to have one and she didn't really like it, found it quite cumbersome however that might have been just her own particular make/model (and I have no stats on any of that). Wool here, as in real wool is super expensive too so mostly the stores only sell acrylic yarn and/or other types of fibre that will knit but who even knows what they are.

I used to knit all the time and did knit almost all of my daughter's baby outfits. Other than winter caps I've not knit anything for any of the Grandkids. Lots of work would/could go into a sweater but 1 wash and this new type of so called wool (it really isn't wool) just pills and looks yucky.

About all I knit and crochet these days are dishcloths (out of cotton) and toques/winter hats.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well I can't really join in with your discussion here ladies, we have never had a knitting machine and a rather ancient sewing machine for curtain making is as far as my skills go.
BUT, I love machines and have always had my little home workshop or garage full. Wood turning lathe, table saw, and thicknesser (two finger tips gone to prove it :lol: ) have all gone now due to the eye problems.
I still have an assortment of power tools in my garden workshop but have to be extremely careful on the rare occasions that I use them.
This all comes from an introduction to machine tools at technical school and then as a Machine Tool Setter and Operator apprentice.
So I am really impressed by the things you ladies produce, whether it is quilts or pottery or whatever. Always something very satisfying with something you have produced with your own hands, whether or not with the aid of a machine.
:a4: :a4:
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Knitting machines are big, it's true, but they can be endlessly creative. There is always a motor too. I used, sold and taught them for nearly 20 years. I designed and made knitwear too. I still have four machines and three motors although only one of them is set up in a cabinet in the living room these days. I can't wear pure wool or anything with a wool content so most of my own knitted garments were acrylic or man-made from necessity. I'm still wearing the sweaters over 30 years later because they never seem to wear out. Silk yarn is lovely to wear and quite warm. I have a huge stock of yarn so I may well get back to knitting one day, but quilting has it for me at the moment, I'm afraid! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I don't believe I have ever seen an automated knitting machine. The one my friend had (and I'm taking 30+ yrs ago) did not have a motor - it was big, really big as I recall and I believe she had to manually do something every row (but I'm not sure). I have no idea here if I even wanted one where I'd find it. Given the cost(s) associated with wool and even the acrylic yarns I think it makes it pretty cost prohibitive to own one.

I do know though that some people who run sheep do do their own shearing, carding, spinning (if I have that in the right order) and they then knit vests, hats, sweaters etc that are a mixture of both thin and really thick strands of wool due to the uniqueness of the spinning. That is fairly common here in small clusters who own sheep/llamas.