Hallowe'en & me

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Hallowe'en & me

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't like or dislike Hallowe'en and I do buy candies to give out and it is only a 2 hour or so event once a year for ME however ........ my immediate neighbour is something of a Hallowe'en expert. She LOVES Hallowe'en although hard to say if she loves it more than Christmas or Easter as she goes all out to decorate her house for ANY occasion!

This has been her front yard and sign post for the past two weeks as she constructed (this year) her graveyard complete with a smoke machine (it wasn't going yet when I went over to take photos) and scream machine. She boils hotdogs for all kids and hands out drinks as well.

This is her and her two sister who add their witchy help!!

Since she gets the entire street swinging by her house for a drink and to see her display I can't turn into the house of doom and gloom so I turn on all lights and hand out candy! No rain tonight so the kids did get a good run. Not too sure how many I had total but I can sum it up in LOTS!

It is almost 8pm and the odd firework is going off. There will be lots more through the evening and quite a BANG BANG BANG come midnight.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Hallowe'en & me

Post by Horus »

It certainly is very impressive LLL, ours is more like a load of kids knocking on doors for sweets, it is not really a UK sort of thing and more of an American import, I saw a recent report saying that over 70% of people here disliked it. We have our Bonfire Night on November 5th which has also become a bit of a pain to most people especially those with pets as the explosions get louder each year and seem to go on forever, idiots will be letting them off from now until Christmas.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Louis's dad and a few neighbours got busy with the pumpkins which I think are worthy of a mention. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Quiet night and I have a lovely bowl of fruit as a bonus.

I don't think oldies like me like this new import it doesn't have much relevance to our culture...…….. now Guy Fawkes and a penny for the Guy does. :up

Still hate bangers and had many friends injured by fireworks which were often sold in sweet shops. Many boys made bombs and at least lost their eyebrows …….. bangers were thrown into crowds round the big bonfires and injuries were awfully common. :(
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL Good show your neighbour put on :)

My street was really quite, I didn't even hear a banger go off.

Now bonfire night is different, all organised bonfires....the one along on my street is huge, must

be the biggest in town, folks with their children come along in their cars, usually the street is

chock o'block.

It's not like what it used to be heating mash mallows & roasting tatties at the edge of the

bonfire, changed days with all the health & safety rules.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I was guilty of all those things with fireworks MD, but a syou say many, many injuries and bad burns, my own opinion with my killjoys hat on, is that they should only be allowed at an organised display.

Those pumkins are really good Grandad :up my daughter is good at carving pumkins.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The kids use match heads to power their Mugreb Guns in Ramadan in Luxor. The pre teenage girl who lived opposite us, made her own gun and it was louder than the rest. We were afraid it would blow her hand off, but the construction was perfect and all by her own efforts. A lot of the young girls in Luxor are incredibly capable and inventive - hidden talents waiting in the wings.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My neighbour LOVES Hallowe'en and goes to this type of extreme most years. Couple years ago she had a complete cowboy corral with bales of hay, horse saddles and swinging saloon doors. Course my house being right next door is the opposite in that all you get is a house with the lights on and candy. Lots of the other neighbours have the huge blow up displays of witches, pumpkins, ghosts too.

Nice pumpkins Louie's dad did too! I like the one with the insides spewed out. Good idea.

I used to grow pumpkins when my girls were small and we'd carve them out Hallowe'en soon as they home from school and then struggle with trying to get a candle to stay lit inside. Now I haven't cut a pumpkin for years. Debated buying a ceramic one from one of the local Thrift stores couple years back but I'm not that into this particular occasion that I wanted to bother with decorations.

Lots of fireworks here with all the resultant scare to animals and always lots of warnings everywhere re: keep your pets inside.