Amaryllis challenge 2018

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Amaryllis challenge 2018

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I just watered all 4 orchids yesterday and gave them a heavier than usual shot of 20-20-20 fertilizer. I dissolved a tbsp into a gallon and then submerged them all in it 'til soaked through and then let them drain off. Hopefully it'll prompt them into doing something. The latest two I acquired via a gf who got them as gifts from her Mother-in-Law so those I'm not holding too responsible to do anything right away but the first one I bought (what 2 yrs ago now?) should be doing something! It IS growing lots of aerial roots but not much else.

I had a huge Christmas cactus I had to leave in the States that was probably pushing a decade old and so flowering beautifully. This one isn't that old and I bought it on the bigger side to start. IMO it takes them a few years to get growing cause usually they're sold once they've been forced in a greenhouse to flower so I think the next year they lose a bit 'til they can recoup. I like them as they're pretty hardy and can take neglect which they get in the bedroom. They're not going to be super wilted over if I forget to water them and they provide nice greenery year 'round.

The apricot one - I wish it was labelled with a name is doing well. I might put it into a bit larger clay pot this spring and it will go outside for the summer. I'll let it dry off and get to a just might maybe wilt and then I'll water it well, give it a good dose of fertilizer and bring it in for the winter and hopefully by now it'll be flowering again.

Never had any luck at all with a white one. They do just seem to die on me. The pink one downstairs is scruffy. It is also budded to flower but doesn't look skookum or strong nor is it growing strong.

Back to the orchids - yours definitely sound like they absolutely love whatever you're doing with them. I dunno what else I can do with the ones I have. Hopefully they're just "resting" and will soon get into a cycle of blooming. They're so lovely and they flower for so long you definitely get good bang for your buck when they do flower.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Been a little better than 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure my Minerva will be flowering out soon. It has grown exceptionally fast and the bud looks to be in the beginning stages of forming the flowers. Will get some photos later today.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My red lion is just beginning to move. The Minerva seems to still be in suspended animation (or dead) :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I haven't started yet. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Amaryllis are still being sold in the stores here. Not sold out yet but probably soon. Mine will definitely be blooming for Christmas on the second stalk but am thinking it'll be blooming before Christmas on the first as the flowerlets are just starting to break out from the main bud. I can see the colour changing from green to the lightest red so it has a bit to go but it is the fastest Amaryllis I've ever had. Must have sneakers on those roots.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is Minerva now. Couple more days and the flowers should be fully opened. She has grown amazing fast and even the second bud is emerged and putting on growth fast.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Sorry to repeat myself, but I haven't started yet. :oops:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My amaryllis is open and .............I don't think it is "Minerva"! It is pretty enough in a deep burgundy speckly with white kinda way but it darn sure doesn't look like the photo of Minerva on the box. I've grown Minerva in the past and it does grow with white stripes contrasting a deep red. Not too sure WHO this is - guess I got the mystery box.

Two views of each side of the flower

I posted this photo when I bought this as this is what "Minerva" should have looked like.

Ahh well - I quite like growing amaryllis anyway as I do love their flower. My other amaryllis from last year is living downstairs. Not growing, not dying just sitting there with 2.5 leaves.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My amaryllis' second flower stalk is now fully open and the 3rd flower stalk is about half way up the stem to flower yet again. I don't think I've ever had an amaryllis that has produced 3 flower stalks. This bulb wasn't overly big, isn't Minerva as the box says but producing 3 flower stalks is going to use up (I'm sure) every bit of strength this bulb has. Not optimistic this bulb will continue to grow but, on the other hand, maybe this one will grow better than any of my other bulbs.

I do still have last years bulb growing after a fashion downstairs. It is just sitting there though in its pot. Not really growing but not dying.

Will see how they grow.