On the Island Today

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

On the Island Today

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I believe I've mentioned we have a Homeless Camp that has taken to occupying a chunk of land in our downtown. This group has refused to move despite court orders, have had 2 deaths so far and more ODs than anybody can count. They're stealing from the downtown businesses daily.

One incident of thousands: Homeless goes into the grocery store and steals about $25 worth of food. Police are called and attend but do NOT arrest him because he says he was hungry (LOTS of places here that are handing out free food everywhere and a certain contingent of people are doing a nightly "Stone Soup" for 'all the poor souls' in Tent City cause they're unable to do anything for themselves.

I digress - this particular theft hit the newspapers and has caused quite an outcry. Am sure the Merchant who is being robbed daily wasn't happy, the public isn't happy that the Police give this guy a pass and not even a ticket for bad behaviour and it is has spurred many others to start robbing anything anywhere in town that isn't nailed down.

I live a ways from the downtown In the City but on the outskirts and even last night we had guys touring on bikes with flashlights shining them into windows in prep to steal. We have an email neighbourhood group so we were all notifying each other of where they are and one neighbour took their photos BUT even if they're robbing you are the Police going to do anything anyway or should you just hand over the keys to your house and say 'help yourself.'

Guess my point is that law and order are deteriorating around here quickly.

Now there is a group calling themselves "SONS OF ODIN" (from the Finnish Group) who are going today to march on the Camp "peacefully" to clean it up, pick up needles (which are everywhere) and to show City Hall that something/anything MUST be done! Last week there was a Hells Angels group here "on holiday" (so are some of those guys in the SOO? Who knows)

This has spurred a whole group of people to start referring to them as Nazis which is bringing emotions high too.

Then another group has developed calling themselves something like "Bash the Camp" and the Camp itself has announced (through their Activists!) that they will March too and in the Newspaper and online another group have decided to just go downtown, meet by the Fish Fountain and stand peacefully showing apparently that we are peace loving or some such.

Local News is advising nobody to go downtown.

So - our City Hall has done nothing whatsoever re: all the Homeless, we have no infrastructure in place, our Prime Minister keeps bringing in Refugees and we're housing them in military barracks (dunno where our military is now living) & hotel rooms yet our own are rapidly filling up Homeless camps and now Groups are forming and odds are will start to clash. We have a Police Force of maybe 30 - 40 Constables ...... soooo........????

Will have to see what actually happens today but nothing here is looking good and emotions and tempers are flaring as this Camp via the Activists has been extremely demanding of everything, many here are working two jobs and seeing their tax dollars going to people who are actively robbing, drugging, prostituting with no consequences happening to them at all.......

Going to be an interesting day today

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: On the Island Today

Post by Horus »

At times it does seen as if our societies are going to hell in a handcart and we seem to have little say in the matter. This sort of thing is one of the biggest driving forces behind the shock UK Brexit vote, MP’s that are so out of touch with a public that is having to deal with unbridled immigration and asylum seekers that are over stretching our health and social security systems not to mention the housing market. Governments seem incapable of dealing with this in a rational way and giving the assistance at source and dealing with the problems within national borders, quite frankly there are too many bleeding hearts who seem to think we have an obligation to solve the rest of the worlds problems at the expense of our own way of life. :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Mostly here we have an extremely dysfunction City Council. The Counsel has sued the Mayor and the Mayor has sued the Council. One of the Financial Officer was found (like 3 or 4 months ago) of embezzling and out-right taking thousands from the coffers. Then there was another Chief Officer who has finally been fired after a physical altercation and mega wrong-doing and on and on more than I can ever begin to state. This has left this City totally dysfunctional as there is no leadership and those who are in are clueless (hence my mini-rant when I finally met with one, was then invited to a Committee meeting only to find these people are like 6 yr olds who don't have a clue).

Most of Canada is now suffering with these mega homeless camps. Our PM opted to start bringing in thousands and giving them everything, rents have risen like crazy and the average working guy is seeing all the perks these refugees are getting whilst he is paying paying paying with his costs going up with no end in site.

Our own City (which does have one of the best climates in all of Canada) has had this group basically walk in and set up a camp called DisContent City. I get it there is a huge issue of homelessness for umpteen reasons but parking yourself in Downtown and then demanding everything isn't making the locals happy. Crime has gone up phenomenally too. My next door neighbour owns a pharmacy downtown and he is just bleeding stolen goods out his door like water and the Police are doing nothing. Course even when somebody here is arrested they're lucky if they are held overnight then released. It takes about 30 charges here before anybody does 1 - 2 months jail time so Law Enforcement (IMO) feels like they're only ever going through the motions.

This had emboldened many to just start stealing openly in the daytime right from your yard. They all seem versed in their Rights and indeed they do have more than I do should I go out and whack one of them making off with something.

IMO there is a huge emotional component to this Homeless Camp which has been successful in our Courts of getting everything they've asked for. Tax payers are seeing this and paying for it all the while being robbed and walking on needles ad nauseum. Now almost vigilante type groups are forming to patrol neighbourhoods at night.

A few months back a man who owned a Construction Company had his tools stolen for like the 3rd time. These are tools in locked sheds. No just hanging out. He took out an Ad and started posting online that HE was not going to have his tools stolen and gave the thieves 40 hours to return them - "I can't work. I can't pay and I'm not losing my house over you addicts & thieves idea." His threat was return his stuff or him and his employees (all Construction Workers) were going to start looking for them and on finding the tools it wasn't going to be nice!!

Personally I don't blame the guy. Wasn't like he was just leaving his stuff out there. He couldn't have put one more lock on the door of his steel storage container. Some of his stuff WAS returned but he and his crew did go and rough up a few 'til all his stuff was returned. Sad we've come to that but frustration here is getting ridiculous.

Police here now won't even take finger prints and expect everybody to have video suveillance so they can easily ID who it is that has broken into your house. All in all it is getting ridiculous. Police frustration is that our Courts won't really punish anybody and at a meeting I was at recently with RCMP they said it takes about 30 offences before the Criminal is jail for actually a short period of time.

Today, far as I can tell from the News we have 3 groups Protesting downtown but so far they're just all walking around in "protest"..............Sad how we're getting.

ME - I'm seriously thinking a big dog. Don't want one that would bite but one that looks big enough that it might and would bark.........Crazy to have to even have to think that way .......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It seems to be getting very bad where you live, but I'm afraid Canada is not alone in suffering this type of activity from low lifes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

They are everywhere. Nowadays as I walk around I see lots of signs in the windows of businesses looking for help. Seems to me there are lots of jobs out there but very few people willing to take them.

All seemingly has ended with nothing more than shouts and posturing but we're still 'status quo' with having a Tent City of homeless people living in downtown, drugging and drinking and stealing from the stores.