Scoot Scoop

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Scoot Scoop

Post by Grandad »

Went for a more adventurous outing on the scooter this morning. Still seeking out the best sidewalks for the small wheels of my GoGo Elite. In all I probably did 2 or 3 miles and the battery condition meter hadn't moved so I think it is good for about 8 to 10 miles. :up

My route into town follows the embankment of the old Canterbury to Whitstable Railway (1830) that I have told about in the past. Three years ago when I was still walking into town, I came across some work to open a tunnel under the railway. This is a picture at that time.

The tunnel was constructed sometime between 1825 and 1830 to allow cattle and pedestrians to safely pass across the railway that went across a dairy farm of the day. The tunnel has now been emptied of debris and is now a listed historical relic with a Grade 2 listing. Here it is today.

I made my way to the Westgate Gardens that I have mentioned in the past. These gardens are adjacent to the Norman Westgate, probably one of the most photographed historical features in the city. So forgive me, here are a few more and some in the gardens. Not much colour yet but by June there will be plenty of colour when all the flowers bloom.

These are scenes of the Westgate and the river.

And a few scenes around the gardens.

And finally some students revising for their exams who kindly agreed for me to include them in my photo.

As it is bin day there were many bins on the pavement obstructing my progress. The city is full of students and on every occasions students pulled the bins out of my way. Nice bunch? :up

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Scoot Scoop

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous photos and nice to know the students are willing to do that for you! :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great that you are getting out and about Grandad, I thought about you as I was tramping through the Bluebell woods today with Annie :up
Just one word of warning on the batteries Grandad, like most of that type they are very good at delivering a constant power, but can die very quickly once they reach a certain discharge level, so I would not base the total distance on what you did today, I would probably add just a couple of more miles to be on the safe side. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I quite like the last photo in that I really like the flower combo. Really a nice feel-good shot of people doing something but doing it relaxing in the sun.

Great that you're getting out and about too. I'd not of thought about bin day but that particular day would be a real pain in the winter to navigate if there was not helpful hands to help move bins about. Almost a live and learn which are the best days, what is the best route, where the potholes are etc. Good to learn about the scooter too in good weather.

Personally if I had to I'd use one in a heartbeat. I can't think of anything more restricting than to be unable to get out and about and do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

When I used to take my mother out in her (carer operated) electric wheelchair I used to find the amount of obstructions more than annoying, everything from cars parked half on the pavements to sometimes fully obstructing them. On bin days the combination of parked vehicles and bins made some footpaths impassable. Uneven and badly maintained footpaths are another issue and in some cases there is no proper on/off slope to allow you to cross a road easily and safely, I can site many instances in my own area where it would be almost impossible to leave one street and access another without using the road itself, many of which are quite steep.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I bought my scooter after discussion with our daughter who suggested that one that can diss-assemble and put in a car boot would allow them to take us to places like National Trust properties, shopping malls and simply visit coastal towns. She is very caring. :up
I am very happy with my scooter and enjoy going for short trips and exploring. I have found that people are very friendly and helpful if the need arises as with the students yesterday. However I am finding that with just 9" wheels and no suspension I need to keep aware of pavement conditions. That said I may look for a larger 8mph scooter that can be used on the road. I would keep the small one for trips out.

As for my pictures, I too rather liked the students among the tulips. When I asked if I could include them in my photo they said, how do you want us to pose? Just go back to your revision as you were, I want a candid not a posed picture. I think they got that right :up

When I view pictures on screen they all look a bit blurred and lacking colour. I am hoping to have the cataract in my left (good) eye dealt with soon but meanwhile, please critique my pictures if they are not looking very good. Many thanks....
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Grandad & it is nice to know some young ones care to help, you'll be zooming along in no time ;) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I can assure you that there is nothing to critique about your photos, they are sharp, colourful and nicely framed, nothing to comment on as everything looks good from a photography point of view :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks Horus. :up It is frustrating when you are not seeing things clearly. I saw a consultant last Sunday when I had an injection in my left eye. He is quite willing to agree to the cataract operation but he outlined his concerns and the risks as it is my only useful eye, but said it is entirely up to me.
I have an appointment in three weeks with a glaucoma consultant and we agreed to defer my decision until I have the other appointment.
Cataract operations are now so routine and successful that I shall probably opt for it quite soon. I know what a difference it makes from the very reduced field in my right eye and how even that was much improved after surgery.
Thanks again for your comments H.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You have not reached the ‘Monet’ stage yet Grandad when everything he painted had a purple hue. :lol:
I would also chance the cataract operation, the risks are quite low and in your case the benefits could be great. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I would opt for the cataract operation too. It is so routine nowadays I'd think the downsize would be close to nil. I think the Doctors to cover themselves have to advise of anything and everything that could or might go wrong but I think this operation is so routinely done all the errors have now been ruled out.

Your photos look terrific too.

Getting a larger scooter that could get you up and over small bumps and allow for longer trips would be the way to go. What you have now given it can come apart for transport is the ticket but getting something bigger with a higher center of gravity for daily outside use up and down the streets and over a curb would be ideal.

Here in lots of areas there are no sidewalks so people walk on the actual street which is asphalt so relatively smooth. Where we do have sidewalks unless they're fairly new they're apt to be uneven in spots (up to 2" or so) so you'd have to have something that could power up and over that type of bump. Going from one street to another would be a bit of a challenge though as I'm almost positive not all our streets have easy curbs. Mostly our sidewalks are fairly wide but being able to actually park one, get out and get yourself into a store (in downtown) could pose problematic in some areas.

All in all I'm quite interested in hearing all your adventures and problems and issues cause I'm coming up behind you and can see ME doing exactly what you're doing in the future too.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well I'm going to swap my unused big one for a smaller one. :(

It was an enthusiastic and much appreciated gift from my daughter. We didn't realise the difficulty that we would have getting it into the house and then getting through to the big kitchen for storage. So it's lived in the hall and is an evacuation risk if there was a fire.

The bad news was also that my shoulder got much worse making handling to get it out very difficult.

The good news is that my legs have very slowly improved so much since the operations that I can sit comfortably with feet on the floor and 90 degree angle at knee for more than an hour now, so would be able to accommodate the long legs OK in a smaller scooter. So I'm going to see if that's what I can do - ie part exchange with some shop or company.

I really wish I could use the one I've got. But live and learn I reckon. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm appreciating Grandad's efforts and writings about his scooter. I see quite a few people using them here but I've never known anybody specifically who has had one but should the time come when I can't drive I fully intend to have one to get around.

I'd consider having a light weight one that could be put into the trunk of a car and having a bigger one for longer trips that could actually carry groceries etc.

Quite a few people here have canvas type covers for theirs too so they're out in all weather.

Ever since Grandad has mentioned sidewalks & curbs & bumps I've been closely looking at ours most of which are fairly flat. Crossing a road from one stretch of sidewalk to another is a bit more challenging as the slope on the curb doesn't really or necessarily match to the other side. Some curbs end at the road but the other adjoining slope is sometimes more around a corner or not even there and you'd have to drive down to the next driveway to get back up and on the sidewalk.

In a few areas too work has been happening so a particular section of sidewalk might be taken out meaning you'd have to reverse back to a driveway then out to the road to pass and then back up.

Overall though I think the pros of having a scooter outweigh not having one.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Over the last two weeks, I've had the offer of two scooters. Unfortunately, DH is so untidy that I wouldn't be able to get into the workshop, let alone park a scooter in there! Such a shame because the only actual daylight I see ( apart from the very small paved area that serves as a 'garden') is through a window or from the front door to the car. :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I know the feeling Ruby, oh, how well I know that feeling.............. apparently to cheer me up, my darling daughter sent me a lovely picture of the view from her hotel in Ibiza where she's gone for a weekend break and capped it with a picture of her delicious lunch. :a8: :a50:

I wouldn't change a hair on her head, like me she often doesn't realise what reaction her kind gestures inspire. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, over recent years there have been great moves to make life easier here in the UK. All kerb edges at junctions now have dropped kerbs for scooters and wheelchairs to negotiate. I know where all the pedestrian crossings are situated so as to use them to safely cross roads, Some are pedestrian controlled with buttons to change the lights. Others are Zebra crossings where motorists are required to stop if some one is waiting at the kerb.
Our public transport now has ramps that the driver puts out to allow small scooters and wheelchairs to board the bus. All good stuff. I might take a trip right into town tomorrow which will be my longest excursion ;) :lol:
As I have said, my scooter is mainly a portable one to put in a car boot (or trunk for LLL :lol: ). If we lived nearer MD I could well be interested in your larger machine as there are still too many bad pavements here for my scooter and I have to keep a keen eye on what is ahead.
This is my Pride GoGo Traveller Elite
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The other advantage of the larger scooters is of course having 4 wheels making them more stable.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think my preference would be a 4 wheel scooter. Many of them here come with an overhead frame that plastic vinyl (some such material like that) goes over giving protection from the weather and probably a little bit of security for drivers who are out and about and possibly making some purchases. I've seen a few with rigid plastic milk cartons attached to the back and those just have to be for carrying stuff.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I opted for a 3 wheeler because a) it is more maneuverable, and b)It takes up slightly less space when taken apart for carrying in a car boot. The same model is available in a 4 wheel version. This one is rated for a maximum user weight of 147kg so it is very robust and has a sturdy chassis. I hasten to add that I do not weigh anyway near to 147kg so there is plenty of spare capacity. :lol: