Part 2 of our trip to The Emirates

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Part 2 of our trip to The Emirates

Post by Grandad »

A short holiday in the United Arab Emirates.
We first visited the UAE in the1990's when the major development of Dubai was in its early stages. In around two decades that city has developed beyond recognition from our first visit. We made four more visits to different Emirates until 2005 but this was our first return to the UAE since that time.
We booked an eight night stay with British Airways holidays at the Hilton Al Hamra Fort hotel in Ras Al Khaimah. We had recollections of staying in RAK in the past and it was only when I was flicking through old photos today that I realised that we had stayed in this same hotel in 2001.
You will understand why we did not recognise the hotel from these two photos. The first shows the beach right up to the hotel boundary as it was in 2001. In the second the frontage has been extended into the sea about 150 metres by the addition of millions of tons of sand resulting in a beach frontage 1.5 kilometers long. (Both pictures taken from advertising literature)

We prefered not to walk to the sea front and spent most of our leisure time at the smaller of the two pools. We remained in the hotel area most of the time apart from three excursions to a local mall, firstly to change some money and then to have evening meals as a change from the hotel restaurants. The hotel exchange rate was 3.45 dirhams to the pound sterling. In the mall we got 5.15 AED to the pound, a hotel rip off. The mall was about two miles from the hotel and a taxi was the equivalent of £1.50. Taxis are very cheap and all top of the range Lexus,Toyotas and Nissans.
I have very little by way of photos to show because we remained in the hotel complex, the intention after all was just to get away for a relaxing week in the sun and to give Mrs G a break. Here is a small selection to give you a flavour of where we have been for the last week or so. I know we missed the UK summer while we were away but in the Emirates it is summer every day of the year.
The main and very overcrowded pool that we steered clear of
The very pleasant smaller pool that only a few people seemed to find each day
Part of the 1.5 km man made beach
Many hundreds of sunshades on the beach
Our charming housekeeper Subarna. She is a student from Nepal on one year work experience before completing her degree in hotel management.
Our balcony faced west so we had some lovely sunsets
The food was good but not great. This was in the MaiTai restaurant. My preference was the Al Jezeera Lebanese.
In desperation to snap something I even took pictures of birds that came to visit at the pool

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Part 2 of our trip to The Emirates

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos :) and the beach looks fantastic!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It all looks fantastic Grandad, lovely pictures & that golden beaches looks super :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks really nice Grandad :up