What's your MOOD today

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What's your MOOD today

Post by Horus »

@ LLL, yes anyone who is 65 years old is entitled to the 'Winter Fuel Payment' as detailed in the list and anyone over 80 years old gets the higher figure. You have to remember that this was done because roughly 10 years ago the cost of fuel (gas & electricity) were so high that as a proportion of many peoples pension it was a case of 'heat' or 'eat'. As with all increases and fuel in particular always affect the poorest people first and many pensioners were struggling, so the government stepped in with this payment to ease the burden over the coldest period of the year. Personally I reckon they should have done something more to control the ever rising fuel prices and the cartel like behaviour with their constant price increases. This may initially sound very good, but over the years it has existed this benefit has slowly eroded to the point where it has probably just about covered the increases to date.

@ MD, glad you are making a start :up do try that free prgram I gave you the link to, it is very good.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Feeling fraught today! Trying to track down Xmas presents, and also visiting my very elderly lady friend to give her a boot up the bum to finish off two existing projects before starting another one in the New Year. I won't be sorry when Xmas is over! I hate it!!! :evil:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looking out into my garden at the light dusting of snow and the rain turning to sleet :( obviously it is going to be a horrible day. I went out for a pint last night and on my way home the gritter wagon was out salting the roads a sure sign of bad conditions the next day, so it was no surprise.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My normal mood CONTENT
A frosty morning first thing but now bright and sunny.
Lunch at our local seafood restaurant with daughter and SiL. They have a special deal of scallops with a range of dressings, salad and fries, and a glass of bubbly. Should be fun. ;) :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Right now kinda bored. Not too sure what I'm going to do. Was expecting the daughter and grandkids for a visit but they cancelled as it isn't momentarily raining so they're heading home from their ice skating lesson to put up their Christmas lights outside especially since their Dad is between call-outs right now.

So now left to my own devices ..... hmmmmmmmmm?????

Guess I'll have another coffee and go stare at the amaryllis to see what they're up to! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Son called today with lots of engineering goodies for me, daughter will call tomorrow with my Sunday dinner and a chat, my niece texted today to ask how I was and to say she would be visiting me soon, so all together a HAPPY day.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Happy. Woke early, which was wonderful as I've been hibernating and I hate getting up late. Felt a bit chilly and found the boiler pilot light had gone out. However after a couple of tries I have warm radiators - well actually almost boiling radiators!

This boiler is hanging on by it's back teeth and I've been concerned that it might pop it's clogs over Christmas or New Year. I decided yesterday to get it serviced as soon as possible and I think this was just a gentle jog of my memory to ring the boiler man tomorrow. It has a history of playing up over bank holiday periods, on coming home from a holiday or on Friday nights. The Thermostat doesn't work so I have to adjust the time clock according to the weather - sometimes it's a bit chilly and sometimes loooooovely and warm. A new boiler would save a lot of time and trouble.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Once boilers start to play up they always seem to keep giving trouble, if yours has a pilot light then it must be quite old. Modern condensing boilers work differently and more efficiently and can actually save you money on your fuel bills. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I think I have mentioned in the past that I am a bit of a 'Numbers Nerd' ;) I have a habit of keeping records and have a very large spreadsheet about just about everything in running my life. I know it is utterly boring but following Horus and MD's comments above, I extracted details of my gas usage since 2001 to highlight a) the effect of cavity wall insulation and b) the effect of a new condensing boiler.
Here is a chart representing my gas usage since 2001.

The black line is the 12 month moving average usage. Up to the red square marker for December 2007 I was using a Potterton RS 85 boiler, probably like MD's and at that time I had cavity wall insulation installed and the effect can be seen.
At the second red marker in April 2010 I had a new condensing boiler installed and in general there was a continued reduction in gas usage.
The black line is not smooth, caused mainly by cold winters and the amount of holiday days in the period. More recently the general trend has been slightly up but that reflects fewer holidays and, getting older, I WILL NOT BE COLD. :lol:

As I said boring stuff, but I think it illustrates that home insulation and new efficient boilers DO reduce heating bills.

QED! ;) ;)

Sorry I digressed........my mood today......as usual CONTENT
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My mood - a tad tired, a bit bored, to happy when meeting up with a gf over coffee then back to neutral this evening. Think I'm maybe coming down with something as I keep sneezing.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lacking enthusiasm, feeling a bit tired this morning, Annie decided on two occasions to wake me up by barking at something so my sleep was broken. It is still miserable outside weather wise, some household chores to get done but can’t work up the enthusiasm at the moment, maybe later. :zz
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Feeling a bit introspective this morning. Every Winter when it turns cold, I think longingly about having central heating installed, but then I put on an extra layer or two, turn the gas fire up to full - and think that the cold weather doesn't last forever! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I don't think I could live without my central heating RS and once installed the modern stuff is very efficient :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Pretty relaxed.

After years of very early rising after little sleep I now go back to sleep at 4.0am until 8.00 or even later. My body feels better for it, but I found it frustrating for a time as it shortens the day. However, I've decided I should just be grateful for the extra sleep as there is nothing of great urgency for me to do these days and frankly my prayers have been answered.

Be careful what you wish for they say - well I'm lucky I guess. :up

PS The CH comes on at 4.00am :a30:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Like you MD, RELAXED

Had planned to sweep some leaves but they are wet so will leave that till tomorrow.

Probably do some more Christmas shopping.....................online of course. :a52:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have bitten the bullet and given the kitchen a good clean down, tiles, work surfaces and units, now if I can just work up the energy to do the kitchen floor and polish a few bits then thats another one off my list :up I would just like to know as how if it's only me doing things in my kitchen, then who the hell keeps making all the mess in there? :vs
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I would just like to know as how if it's only me doing things in my kitchen, then who the hell keeps making all the mess in there? :vs
Ha Ha Ha! Mrs G is always asking the same question H. :lol: She has one of those cordless Dyson vacuum cleaners and as it is so convenient she uses it more often than you might use a plug in job. And every time she shows me the dust container and says 'Where does it all come from?'
I am glad we don't live in a timbered house with beams, they must be a nightmare. :o :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

On the vacuum front Grandad I was always amazed at the amount of pet hair that it would pick up even when it was not actually visible. Also a very fine dust in the collecting container, I used to blame Annie and say to her “just look at all this muck you leave behind” However after the demise of my moggy the fur and fine dust collected has dropped dramatically, who would think that a cat lounging about all day could create such an amount of fur and dust? :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Err, Yes, I have to agree the Dust Imps that my Mother complained about are alive and well and living with me too.

My house was built in 1900 high ceilings wooden floors, chimneys in most rooms and windows and doors that could fit better. I hear the house moving at night - which reminds me I must tell my daughter about the loose floorboards under the new carpet upstairs. bill the Bodger had a Masterclass in her absence and she paid for it! :a17:

I've rung the boiler man today, I'm going to make a few executive decisions. :a53:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I don’t know about you MD, but I have come to the conclusion that denying yourself something providing you can afford it is a no no. Why not have the benefit of that new car or new boiler and at least get some use out of it while you are able, none of us knows what is around the corner and lets face it as each year passes we have less time to enjoy those comforts so why wait?