July Photo Competition

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

July Photo Competition

Post by Horus »

Grandad reminded me that I had not done a picture topic since May :roll:
So if all you Lads & Lassies are still interested, here is one for July although there is not a lot of the month remaining.

We had some good pictures for May and we had quite a discussion on the scrape marks on the temple walls and pillars.

I decided that because he never wins on the blue side :lol: and as he did submit us a very nice panoramic picture of Luxor temple taken at night from the West bank, that Stan's picture is the winner :)

This months picture is of Edfu temple which I am sure that many of you have visited. It is younger than most of the others and as such it is very well preserved. I am sure that you will all have some good pictures and observations to make regarding the temple itself which has some interesting features. The second picture is a modern one of mine showing the same temple but from the opposite direction.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I second your decision for May, Horus. I spent 2 weeks in April in an apartment in Ramla and the night view across the river was stunning. :)

SO, well done Stan and keep joining in the picture threads, there is more serious photo stuff over here. :)

Over ten years since I went to Edfu, I well remember that long perimeter wall but little else.....must get into the album and see what I can find. :)

PS. Like your alternative angle H. :)
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

It is a good few years since we have been to Edfu as well. Must get back this winter. Here is one of my images of Horus himself

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now what is the plural of a Horus? a bit like the old Mongoose question :)
Anyway here is another Horii :lol: This is the one without the little man in front who always gets his head patted by the person posing for the picture, hence the dirt marks in Barry's photo :lol:

redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

Here are a few for you :D

Think the last one is Edfu as I can not remember now!!!! :? :oops:
redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

Oh no what's happened!! I down scaled them for here and now they have the LU4 scarab right over them!!!!! :cry:

oh well :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hi Redsaffy :D just had a quick peek at the photos in your album and they are a bit small, try resizing the originals again, but at about four times bigger than what you did before :)
Karenh

Post by Karenh »

These photos are great. Edfu is my hubbies favourite temple and we have quite a few photos, but I still am struggling uploading them I have now downloaded picaso but have as yet not had time to try using it ~ IOnce I do I will be able to put some on the forums.
A day without laughter is a day wasted :lol: ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If you have Picasa installed then it is quite easy to do :) Any problems just PM me for some help.
Karenh

Post by Karenh »

Thanks Horus will do but its just finding the time just now as so busy at work JUST NOW. Will maybe try to have a look this weekend I get a day off!
A day without laughter is a day wasted :lol: ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Have only been to Edfu once and that was in 1996 on our Nile Cruise introduction to Egypt.....have been back at least 20 times since.

I only have a few pictures around the temple and these I have had to scan from the original roll-film negatives.

Can't remember exactly where this little corner is but it must have caught my eye.

BTW, any reason why Edfu Temple is on the west bank when most are on the east??? Could it be that over the centuries the course of the river changed.?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is one of the explanations put forward Grandad :) that the river redirected sometime shortly after the temple was started.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am sure that your location of Edfu is correct for the picture Grandad as the column capitals are quite distinctive, but I have been racking my brain to think where it was actually taken. It appears to be attached to the outer temple wall but I cannot think of anywhere where another building actually does that and as far as I recall the inner portico is complete all the way around. There is another building that stands away from the main pylon as you enter the temple area and it does have similar columns to your picture but I am sure it does not attach to anything. I have gone through quite a few of my own pictures of Edfu and cannot come up with a similar shot to your own, needless to say that much as we all hope we have done so, it is unlikely that we have photographed every building, wall and column in the place :lol:
So hopefully someone will have a similar picture and tell us exactly whereabouts it was taken. :)

I had originally thought it was taken here: (sorry this is a scan from an old photo)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

This photograph taken at Edfu shows very well a trick that the builders used to give added perspective when you entered the temple. They did this by sloping the floor upwards and narrowing the doorways, thus leading your eye in towards the inner sanctum that housed the god.

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

I'm glad you brought up another competition Horus - I love looking at all the pictures!

Can someone give redsaffy a hand and rescue her pictures from under that scarab - I for one would like a proper peep at them, especially the Horus at night one!

Which reminds me, I was poking about on the sound and light website a bit back, and noticed in the news section that they are planning on introducing a new show at Edfu! (And one at Port Said for some odd reason!)

http://www.soundandlight.com.eg/Default ... 15&Page=48
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Redsaffy, wherever you are resizing your pictures is reducing them to about thumbnail size, roughly 100 or so pixels.
Try resizing to 800 pixels which is the largest that the album will accept.
We want to see your pictures :) and if I or anyone else can help, please PM and we will do what we can. :)
Grandad
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I wonder the Edfu one when will open, will make it an overnight trip I guess?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Goddess wrote:
Can someone give redsaffy a hand and rescue her pictures from under that scarab - I for one would like a proper peep at them, especially the Horus at night one!
I did have a look at them early last week :) but as grandad has pointed out the pictures are too small to do anything with. She is welcome to contact myself or Grandad if she needs a little help :) don't worry we don't bite :lol: :D
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

FABlux wrote:I wonder the Edfu one when will open, will make it an overnight trip I guess?
Glad to see you're starting to speak true Egyptian Fabby! :mrgreen:

Guess it'll be for the benefit of all the cruise boats. They do have a bit of a captive audience there and not much to do at night.
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

here are some of mine taken between 2004 and this year

first pylon

first court

solar barque in the sanctuary

map of the temple

priests cutting the Seth hippo cake at the end of the festival celebrating Horus' triumph of Seth

the mamissi and the first pylon
when she was good she was very very good but when she was bad she was better :snig: