What are they doing to roses?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

What are they doing to roses?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Earlier this year I bought some very small pots roses in bloom from Tesco. They were in flower and full of leaf, guaranteed to flower for 3 weeks. At £2.50 a pot it wasn't going to break the bank and they did indeed last for more than the given time ............. the same flowers! :o

When purchased the leaves were a very unlikely dark green and felt very strange, they also repelled water unlike normal leaves. After a week or so the leaves gradually withered and died, but the only change in the flowers was that they darkened slightly.

I had 4 pots, on one of the pots there was a small but "normal" shoot. This grew rapidly as the rest of the plant appeared at first to die. However, very soon more normal shoots were appearing, and though each pot appeared to be 4 cuttings originally they thrived, have been re-potted and are now more than twice the original height ............ and blooming normal sized flowers!

Obviously they had been dosed with restricted growth hormone but what was/is the stuff sprayed on the leaves? The plot deepens.

On holiday I saw roses in several places for sale, and they all had this strange waterproof covering on the leaves. Even the David Austin roses that I bought, but I cannot find out exactly what is covering the leaves. So I am waiting to see what David Austin nursery has to say about it.

On the plus side, I've just bought four more from Tesco, which I shall pot individually and with TLC and a lot of luck, I should have plenty of pretty scented roses for very little outlay. ;)

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are they doing to roses?

Post by Horus »

It all sounds very intriguing MD, :tk I suppose the new shoots are growing on the same wood stock and not just new shoots from the parent ‘graft’ ? as many rose varieties are grafted onto a hardier root stock and when these ‘suckers’ flower they have always reverted to type so to speak. But if it is some sort of dwarfing chemical that they are sprayed with it is a bit worrying that they use such chemicals on plants for sale, its the same with some of those gaudy coloured flowers you see for sale, after a few days the water in the vase has changed colour.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

These are basically hot-house cuttings of roses so no robust rootstock. Very slender stems with nothing as thick as half a centimetre even near soil level when I bought them.

Those that have grown taller are no thicker and need support - even without the weight of the flowers.

It seems to me that these roses are being treated like short life houseplants. Disposable after a few weeks when the flowers have fallen.

Four cuttings to a four inch pot, in growing medium that has water retaining chemicals and crowded onto a capillary bench. Kept under closely controlled heat and light and sprayed with height retardant as they come into bud then "plastic" spray to hold back natural leaf growth. Pop a capillary pad under the pot when packed for sale - there you have small pots of roses with about 4 pretty flowers and dark green leaves guaranteed to bloom for three weeks.

Produced on a grand scale, the human labour is minimal. Maybe even putting the cuttings in the pot and finally in their plastic sleeve is mechanized - certainly heating, light, water, chemical sprays and fertilizer can be automatic. Ugh!

I am going to experiment with the ones that I have, try hardening off, pruning and taking more cuttings. I will keep you posted. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think many plants and flowers are now seriously genetically modified making them way less robust than the same plants we had years ago.

Lots of the fruit trees sold here are one main trunk with 4 or 5 branches grafted onto them with different varieties of apples/pears/cherries (not sure I've seen a plum tree with different varieties of plums grafted on though - am sure it is coming). I purchased 3 Buddleia which are now "dwarf" varieties (which was unheard of before IMO). Am not sure if this modifying and genetic modification of plants if really good in the long run.

I bought close to 200 daffodils 2 years ago. The first year the bloom was phenomenal but this year I bet I had only 20 daffodils. I did the same thing in the USA about 10 yrs ago. I spent on fall planting hundreds of bulbs all through the green belt behind the house and the first year it was gorgeous. The next year it was a mere few bulbs that bloomed. I blamed it at the time on the weather, squirrels digging up the bulbs, poor bulb stock (although they were huge healthy bulbs) etc. I figured this time all would be different. Again all the bulbs were big solid healthy bulbs, bone meal was dusted about, bulbs planted to correct depth, allowed to grow and die down naturally and the next year NOTHING. When I was a kid you planted a daffodil or a tulip and they grew forever more but now I'm convinced tulips and daffodils have been so modified that they're really only designed to grow for 1 season and then die.

My peonies on the other hand are going great guns now that they've been in one spot for 2 seasons. Will have lovely white and pink ones although I'm not sure why the red peony doesn't have 1 bloom this year. My only wish with a peony is that the flower lasts longer.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ahhh nothing smells so pure as a peony, I love them. :up