Holiday over.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

bigken

Holiday over.

Post by bigken »

Well we have been back just over a week, just in time to see the first snow. Like last year we went to Thailand for 3 weeks ( but without the stay in Dubai ), started off in Bangkok then went up to Chiang Mai ( my choice) for a week then finished off with 10 night in Karon Beach Phuket ( sunbathing time for her ).

We flew out of Bangkok on the 12th Oct after 3 nights in the capital, the day before King Bhumibol Adulyadej passed away after 70 yrs on the throne. So the news broke while we was having a meal in the local Irish Bar in Chiang Mai on the Thursday night ( you can't have a proper holiday without a Irish Bar :) ). I find the Thai's a very proud nation and very proud of their Royal family, you see more National flags ( as well as the King & Queens own flags) flying in a mile than you would see union jacks flying in UK cities, little things like having to stand for the national anthem before a film at the cinema. So 4 days into the holiday and they announce 12 mths mourning, no events to be held for a 30 day period ( sports, full moon parties ect ect ), also people to wear black for that period. Anyway to keep it short, apart from a alcohol ban in the shops till the following Monday and all foreign tv channels taken of air you would never have known.

So the holiday was good, i managed to do the tourist bit and do a few trips, a river cruise with a below average meal while in Bangkok. In Chiang Mai we had a look at the Wat Prathat Doi Suthep, a temple that sits on a hill over looking Chiang Mai, we also went to The Golden Triangle, full on tourist bit - temples, boat trip on the Mekong stopping in Laos for a hour, long neck tribe on the way back. In Phuket it was more boats, a trip to Phang Nga Bay to see James Bond island, with inflatable canoes, another cracking day out only spoilt by the weather :xx

So if I've not bored you to death heres some snaps.

Grand Palace taken from the river

Wat Prathat Doi Suthep, a important call, chiang Mai

we stopped at this temple on route to the Triangle, Wat Rong Khun, love all the hands

Golden Triangle, taken on the Mekong river, Thailand to the left, Laos to the right, Myanmar straight on

In Laos :)

Long Neck Tribe, didn't feel comfortable taking pictures here, but it was set up for tourist and their main income

Karon Beach

Phang Nga Bay, canoes, Mangrove Tree and a bit off 007

last a couple of Sunsets

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Holiday over.

Post by Kiya »

Wow! BK it all looks amazing :)

Your photos are great but, don't think I would like all that rings around my neck ;) :)

Thank you for sharing :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos BK. Would love to make it there myself one day - (it is on the Bucket List)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Me too, fabulous pictures, fabulous place. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks like you had a fabulous holiday BK and travelled around quite a lot, the photos are excellent so thanks for posting them as I know its a long winded and time consuming job to upload all the images. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Lovely account and pictures of your holiday BK :up Thailand is such a fascinating and colourful country. We went in January 2000 and also went to Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket. We broke our outbound journey for a few days in Cairo.
Loved the food, long tail boats, the klongs, the temples, and my special girlfriend........the hotel elephant for whom I would buy a pineapple each morning and irrespective of the mahoot, she would see me and come straight across.
Great memories of Thailand :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

and my special girlfriend........the hotel elephant for whom I would buy a pineapple each morning and irrespective of the mahoot, she would see me and come straight across.
Great memories of Thailand :up
An Elephant never forgets Grandad ;)