GOODBYE EGYPT......GOODBYE LUXOR

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

GOODBYE EGYPT......GOODBYE LUXOR

Post by Grandad »

Goodbye Egypt Goodbye Luxor
Our introduction to Egypt was by Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan and back in April 1996. That started a love affair with the country, its history and its people. We returned one, two or even three times each year until March 2013, our last visit. Since then we have been planning and hoping to return at least just one more time but the decline in tourism, our own physical limitations and the depressing reports of the now poor state of Luxor has made us concede that any future visit is now most unlikely. So we are bidding goodbye to Egypt and Luxor and thanks for the memories.
During those twenty years we have met fellow travellers with whom we have kept in touch via social media, email, Christmas cards and the like. We have seen their children grow and develop, and grandchildren arrive.
Over the years we have been to Cairo on at least three occasions, Luxor more times than we can remember, and Aswan three times including the turn around on the Nile Cruise. We did the cruise from Aswan to Abu Simbel with that exciting approach to the temples from way out in the lake. We did the Dendra day cruise on several occasions and we went to the Red Sea Resorts on three or four trips.
So, although we have not ventured out into the desert we have seen and enjoyed everywhere that we have been and all the people that we have met.
It is most unlikely that we will get to Egypt again, we might be disappointed if things have declined as reported so it is time to say "Good Bye Egypt and Thanks For All The Happy Memories".

I have made a 5 minute slideshow of around 100 random pictures from my Egypt albums. You are welcome to have a look at

phpBB [video]

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: GOODBYE EGYPT......GOODBYE LUXOR

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, thanks for the slide show. That brought back a heck of a lot of very fond memories, but it also stoked the longing to be there! I haven't yet reconciled myself to never going to Egypt again - maybe I never will. :cry: I feel very, very sad for you. :cry:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very nice Grandad, I could make a very similar one as we also visited all the places you have visited :up It's a shame that you cannot realise your dream of a last visit, but I suppose most things end suddenly rather with a planned phasing out. I too had always thought that I would visit again, but of course circumstances changed that, even now my daughter will often say that she would love to visit Egypt especially when there is something on the TV and I tell her all about it, she says she would love to walk where her mum had walked and to see the things she saw. Although I could still encourage her to visit and no doubt they would love Dad to tag along for his experience and local knowledge, I feel disinclined to do so. My reasons for saying this is the same as yours, neither you nor I are first time visitors easily scared off by recent events, it goes much deeper than that. Like you we visited just after Hatshepsut and that did not phase us, the people were welcoming and the place had a good feel about it, I am not sure that the same feeling would exist today. There was little enough to do in Luxor after dark as it was, but there was enough, you could go to one of the tourist attractions like ‘The Fellah’s Tent’ at the then Movenpick hotel, or a dinner out in the dessert. OK these things were a bit naff and pure tourist tat, but I have enjoyed many such evenings in the company of good friends, in addition there were plenty of busy hotels to visit and plenty of places to eat.

Now if all the recent posts are to be believed it is obvious that it is not the same place, near empty hotels, few places to eat out, few cruise boats to choose from and a city that seems to be getting even more scruffy and unkempt than it used to be. Add to this the lack of jobs, the increased hassle from locals desperate to earn a buck then you have the makings of a poor holiday experience, especially to a first time visitor. The only up side to the recent events in the area is that the monuments are less crowded when you visit, I can see the counter argument from an expat living there point of view as their life is probably not too badly affected by these issues, but it is different from a tourist perspective and even worse when your last experience did not live up to what you were expecting because you remember how it used to be.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My enduring memories of Egypt are not what I saw and marvelled at, but are the smiles and warm greetings from our friends in Aswan. The utter peace that I felt there has never been equalled anywhere else that I have ever been to. It seems unthinkable to me that I will never see those smiles or feel that peace ever again. I understand how Grandad must be feeling. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I see that you both share our affection for Egypt and in particular its people. It is those friends, many in the pictures, that we are sad probably never to see again. Like the family group in Karnak Village with my wife holding the new baby. We had been earlier in the year when they told us that if the baby was a girl they would call her Hannah after our granddaughter, and they did. Salah, the doorman at the Steigenberger had a daughter getting married later that year and he really wanted us to attend the wedding. Sadly we couldn't but we did go to wedding celebrations on the West Bank for another family.
We would always come home with lighter bags than when we went. We have given away cameras, clocks, radios, binoculars and of course pens, coloured pencils and note pads for the kids. My wife has parted with jewelry, and other items to the ladies.
I could go on and on but that chapter is now closed....

Horus I think you will have to think seriously about going back with your daughter when direct flights start again. As you and Ann had enjoyed so many holidays in Egypt I am sure your daughter would be overwhelmed to retrace her mothers steps, just turn a blind eye where you may find that things have changed and not for the better. As you say, we hardened travelers are not put off by a bit of strong hassle. Just look through the hassler and walk on. ;)

We have reached a point where we find airports tiring and not a little stressful. In the last three years we have limited our travel to Europe and Morocco. At least for Europe you don't have to check in 3 hours ahead. But now we are considering something different, at least for us. We plan to try a cruise. We have always rejected the idea but as we can join cruise ships in Dover, less than half an hour from home, we are planning to book a 9 night cruise along the Norwegian coast and fjords in May next year. Just have to find some sensibly priced comprehensive insurance. So that is my task for tomorrow afternoon......
I will keep you informed. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good luck with your cruise Grandad, I am sure it will fit the bill nicely, Mrs H loved to cruise :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos and great slideshow! :up :up :up
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

Grandad, you have the best of your memories of Egypt and Luxor over all those years.
Don't be sad at not returning. I have to say that Egypt and Luxor in particular have changed and not, sadly, for the better.
We are coming to realise that ourselves particularly having been away for 5 months travelling in Europe.

It's a shame that you did not manage to get out into the Western Desert to visit the oases. We did and have wonderful memories of those trips. Sadly no more because of the security restrictions placed upon non-Egyptians now.
Maybe some time I will create an album of those trips and put a link here so you can at least have some idea of what you were unable to see for yourself.

Have a very enjoyable cruise :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Maybe some time I will create an album of those trips and put a link here so you can at least have some idea of what you were unable to see for yourself.
That would be interesting :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus wrote:
That would be interesting :up

I agree, Horus! I never managed the oases either. :up
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

OK then, that is on my to do list for this Winter :up

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looking forward to it then :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Loved your slide show Grandad & lots & lots o memories there :)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Love the slide show GD, like mentioned by others, you have plenty of memories and no doubt many stories from your time in Egypt.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One year ago ......... THIS was on our minds :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And I doubt if anything has changed for the better in the meantime, I still have one remaining wish and that is to take my daughter to visit all the places her late mother used to tell her about, but alas the time never seems to be right and when it does something nasty usually crops up to put me off taking her there. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I posted something similar just recently. The memory is going so apologies for the duplication.
I still want to go back though irrespective of the state of things. Maybe, maybe not. :(