The Flying Scotsman

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

The Flying Scotsman

Post by Horus »

Nice to see that the old steam engine ‘The Flying Scotsman’ is back in working order after a 10 year restoration, I actually worked on that loco when it was taken out of service in 1963, of course I was only a young lad at the time. It will be on display and also will be operated as a passenger train for fans of steam railway, I may even see about booking a trip on her myself. ;) Although the ‘Mallard’ holds the speed record, the ‘Scotsman’ was the first to break the 100 MPH barrier for a steam train.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: The Flying Scotsman

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Are these specific interest groups that get together to restore locomotives like this one or is it part of a gov't program?

Am not sure I'd want to be the FIRST one on a steam locomotive if they're pushing it to exceed 100 mph ;) Am not sure they were ever made or intended to go that fast in the first place ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

They are all restored by preservation societies and people like Pete Waterman of the famous writing trio of 'Stock Aitken Waterman' who wrote many pop hits and promoted new talent and had something like 20 plus number 1 UK hit records with various artists such as Kylie Monogue, Donna Summer, Cliff Richard to name but a few, is a very keen steam enthusiast. He revived the LNWR (London North Western Railway) name and formed a preservation group based at Crewe in Cheshire England, I am quite proud to say that in the past I have as a favour to him made some parts for Pete's collection when they were being restored. ;)

As for the speed, well they can go a lot faster than that ;) it was only our inadequate rail system that could not cope with these high speeds. Another famous steam locomotive 'Mallard' still holds the speed record of 125.88 MPH set in 1938, I also worked of the restoration of that locomotive ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds impressive if you can get a steam engine up that high! Sounds impressive you've been able to contribute via making some parts too.

I know nothing about old trains of any kind but I do find the engines impressive.
bigken

Post by bigken »

They are holding test runs this and next weekend out off Bury, I'm tempted to drag my arse up there in the morning but they reckon they will be thousands of people along the line :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Get yourself up there BK, you can always squeeze yourself in somewhere, on a bridge or elsewhere along the track. Do yourself a Google Earth along the route if you know where they are heading and I bet you can find a suitable location as often rail tracks run past lakes and other outdoor locations not to mention all those side roads that have a bridge over the railway line. Remember that at the moment it will still be in the War Department Black colour and not the usual green livery, so you may need to allow for a bit more exposure to get a good picture. Or if your camera can take the triple exposure setting of another shot each side of the correct setting ie. one over and one under exposed then you could use HDR software to blend them all together and you could get some great shots, look forward to seeing any if you do go :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@BigKen - TAKE your CAMERA too! I'd love to see photos! :) :) :up

(And BK - are you changing your Avatar? It isn't coming out to me - just the words Avatar are where the photo of your wee granddaughter used to be)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Well i had a run out this morning ( once her ladyship had finished putting on her war paint ). We headed up to a place called Summerseat which is between Bury and Ramsbottom ( 20 mins drive). On arriving i was surprised to find only a few people hanging around on the platform, i had a belting view to catch the Scotsman coming around a corner then straight down to us, but i wasn't to know that it was travelling backwards :( . Yep backwards to Rawtenstall and forwards to Heywood.
Well i got a few going both ways, but it wasn't hanging around on the return journey. Then we went down to Heywood where it was doing its shunting from front to back.

first sight

just past us

Anyway i plan to go back next sunday all being well, got myself another view point hopefully to catch it in tramping on .

Yes i have lost my avatar LLL and somehow can't manage to get one back on
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow - definitely impressive. I like the spoked wheels best. They just appeal and have a very - ummm - a very historic presentation.

Wonder what all the restorations were?

Any chance you can get a photo of the inside panel where all the gears and gauges are?

We have 1 old steam engine here that takes tourists in the summer on a couple mile loop around the grounds of the Forestry museum (outdoor museum showing the history of logging and all the different types of equipment used). I've gone with the twins and the highlight of the day is always to get a ride on the train. The panel where the engineer sits is quite impressive with all the knobs, bobs, gauges and instruments.

Good photos BK! Thanks for sharing. They're terrific :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great stuff BK :up I would be very tempted to 'clean up' number 6 and the last one with a bit of Photoshopping to remove people and objects and they will be much better ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Super photos BK :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well done BK and thanks for sharing. :up

I do hope she will come down my way when she is finally painted and doing her national tour.

Wonderful loco and great shots. I prefer the people IN the pictures ;)
:gg:
bigken

Post by bigken »

Been back out again this morning, got a couple of snaps but nothing brilliant, found a different spot to catch it coming across my view.

Even time for snow angels :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

bigken wrote: got a couple of snaps but nothing brilliant :)
Don't under rate them BK, I think they are great shots especially the coloured carriages against the mono winter snow background. Lucky you to find another spot. :up :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Number 3 is a great shot BK, :up especially if you Photoshopped the very upper top right edge out and made it all into snow. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think they're terrific BK! As Grandad says the bright engine colours against the mono background really pops! Love 'em!!

Guess it was pretty slippery for the granddaughter too! Hope she had fun in the snow. If we get so much as an inch of snow here the grandkids are outside in a flash trying to make a snow man.

Terrific photos!
bigken

Post by bigken »

Thanks, that was her getting up after making snow angels

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahhh - snow angels! We make lots of those here too. :up One flake falls and the boys and Aislyn are out there as are all the kids around here.

This IS a great age for grandkids as they're still in awe and wonder of so many things and my grandkids are SO enthusiastic about everything!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great photos BK :up :)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Well a weekend off :), nothing planned but we ended up in York, parked up and there was the National Railway Museum across the road, so why not kill a hour or so with a look around. Very interesting place, free to enter and now the home of The Flying Scotsman, no more War Department Black Horus, back to green for her, also bumped into the Mallard and the Duchess of Hamilton that was tucked into a corner.