More about cameras

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

More about cameras

Post by Grandad »

BK mentioned his new Olympus camera kit and the fact that he plans to dispose of his Nikon D300 outfit.

Over the last few years I have gone from disposing of all my old camera gear and deciding that all I needed was a compact. That didn't last long because I soon missed using the live viewfinder of an SLR, sold the compact and bought a Nikon D5000 with the 18 - 55mm kit lens. Added a 50.. f2 prime and the Nikkor 55 - 200mm zoom to complete a useful kit.

Wanting another compact, and with help from Horus, I settled on the Fuji X10. Super little retro style camera with live viewfinder. A bit later I wanted something with a longer zoom so again after discussion with H, I bought a Fuji HS50 with the 1000mm lens. (24 to 1000 zoom). I sold the two Nikon lenses as I thought I would no longer need them.

Much as I like the HS50, it only has an electronic viewfinder and with glaucoma I have some problems with it. (I seldom use the screen to frame my pictures. Can't see them in sunlight anyhow)

I packed the Nikon and accessories in their original boxes all ready to sell on ebay before Christmas. After a few weeks of using the fuji's I had second thoughts, unpacked the Nikon and ordered a 55 - 300 Nikkor lens on ebay.

So now I have three cameras, and I use them all. The little fuji is ideal to take anywhere as a snapping camera, the HS50 for when I feel I may need the long lens like for wildlife, and the Nikon is right back in favour for its quality and a viewfinder that my tired eyes can cope with.

So the moral is; Don't be too hasty BK, you might regret it. :up ;) :lol:

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: More about cameras

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm on the exact same page as you Grandad!! I have a little Nikon camera that I carry in my purse. The quality of the pictures is ok, I can carry it unobtrusively so don't worry about anybody ever yanking it off my neck in a snatch and grab and the quality of the photos is ok. It is good if I'm walking long distances and carrying an easy camera.

I absolutely LOVE my big Nikon. I've got a variety of lens for it and use all of them all the time. It is heavy and big and when I have it it is really obvious I'm carrying a camera. I don't worry about the snatch and grab of it here (although after my bike episode I might need to re-think that) but it has crossed my mind in a few of the areas of the world I've traipsed around in. I have no hesitation in KNOWING neither "I" nor my camera would last a walk through of the downtown of Port of Spain, Trinidad. SUPER HIGH CRIME and the size of the camera alone would make me a moving target of a theft.

I also now have the HS50 bought for the long lens ability and the fact of trying to take a GOOD photo of the swans. I do love using the long lens of my NIKON but the longer the lens the heavier it gets meaning I MUST use a stick (prefer monopod) so this little camera IS the ticket. I really need to study it more so as to get proficient with it but I'd of LOVED to have had it on numerous occasions trying to get a bird (or iguana) in a tree etc.

I totally vouch for having THREE cameras - the only downside is trying to figure out WHICH ONE to take on an outing! ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

During my brief 'sabatical' I joined a local Facebook photography group. There are some excellent photographers on there, some I guess are professionals. There are just a small number of regular contributors but I am finding that their subject matter is very confined.

Two regulars in particular. One has a group of dogs of assorted breeds and these are his main subject matter. Here are 5 of them but I think there is a white one missing. :lol:

The other post a regular daily picture, I assume from his home, of the same scene in the different daily lighting. Interesting and great pictures but a bit boring every day. :(

My pictures are much more varied in subject matter and do receive some nice comments and many 'likes' but I don't really feel 'at home' there. A little established clique perhaps. :?
bigken

Post by bigken »

The joy of cameras, a few months ago i was 100% Nikon, had the D300 + 18-200vr, Sigma 30mm f1.4, a 12-24, nikon sb600 flash and after the GD was born bought a 70-200 f2.8 (tamron, a beast of a lens ) plus a Nikon J1 kit 10 -30 + 30-110 and the 10mm prime.
The j1 kit and lens was sold on eBay and replaced with a Panasonic LX100 a few months ago, i like the j1 but wanted something with a fixed lens that i could take away with me. The LX100 fitted the bill, its a nice size, well built and i like the fact it has a viewfinder ( electronic one, not the best but still better than looking at screen on a sunny day), a hot shoe as it comes with a seperate flash and it has the shutter dial on the top with a aperture control ring on the lens. The only thing id like to change would be the zoom, at 75mm i feel its a bit short on a fixed lens camera.

The plan with the D300 and stuff ( i wasn't for keeping it Grandad :) ) was to PX it against a Olympus 40 -150 lens, i got a few prices but was thinking of using ebay, my niece has had a couple of lenses of me for her D3000 ( nikon 18-200 and the sigma 30mm) she's doing photography at school.
So i will be left with these two, not been out with the OMD EM1 yet but I am impressed with it, heres a couple of pictures of it next to the LX100

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Your brace of cameras makes good sense BK :up I like the little LX100, a bit retro like my X10 but I DO have a live viewfinder that I need. Those Shutter speed and 'f' dials really take you back. Compur and Prontor spring to mind as blasts from the past :lol:
I had not realised that the D300 takes the same SWM lenses as my D5000. It only registered when you mentioned your neice's D3000.
All set to go now then BK :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

NICE cameras! ;)

I think I appreciate cameras the way some men might appreciate cars!