My First Time

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

My First Time

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am sharing my first time (using the Fuji)! All put together and charged up me and the Fuji HS50 went out the back door to try and snap a bird but not one in sight. Kinda rainy and drizzly here and I stood about waiting for one to appear but actually got bored and a bit cold after a few so settled for taking a picture of the bird house, fern and a hen and chicks growing in a pot from last year.

Didn't have the monopod with me and I can definitely see what you're saying about needing to be still. WOW this was flighty trying to focus slowly fully onto something. I even exhaled and tried to keep it steaday. All 3 of these shots were from a bit away. Nothing was taken close up.

Really excited to use this new toy! :) :) I can tell now I am going to be able to take the whites of the swans eyes!! :) :) :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: My First Time

Post by Horus »

I did notice that the first two at least were out of focus, but that is your inexperience with the camera. It is a great bit of kit but will take a little getting used to in particular watch your settings for Macro, Super Macro and Off as it is easy to have the wrong settings in the 'Macro' settings (indicated by the little flower symbol on the rocker button). Also give it a second to focus properly by half pressing your shutter button and if you have the sounds set to on in your menu then listen for a short 'Chirrup' sound before depressing it fully as that means it has locked the focus. Of course it will not stop you blurring the image if you move, especially at a longer zoom, a good tip is to brace your shoulder against a tree or similar if using without a tripod. I would also use it on full 'Auto' settings for a couple of weeks until you are more familiar with it as believe me it will do more things than you can shake a stick at ;) Happy snapping :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Glad you are up and running LLL. :up With the long zoom the depth of focus is very shallow so if you are taking wildlife with the camera set to single spot focus, focus on the eye of the subject if possible and you will find that anything behind the subject goes quicklt out of focus making your subject stand out.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've only taken 5 photos so far and opted to show the last 3 ;) It was difficult to focus and I would have actually stayed outside longer if it hadn't been raining so hard an if I hadn't had to get to the optometrist.

I can tell that this camera will take a bit of practice and trial and error.

By the time I took the fern I actually was leaning against the door frame so I know I was steadier than standing in my slippers on the back patio.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, you will be tempted to use the maximum zoom particularly for birds and other wildlife. I think you already recognise the difficulty of holding the camera steady with long zooms. I suggest you take Horus' advice about supporting youself in some way but also, for things that you won't get a second chance, take two or three then another picture with a bit shorter zoom similar to your 300mm on the Nikon. What I call 'belt and braces' :lol:
Pictures cost nothing these days so take lots, you can always delete the duff ones later.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL I cant give you any advice on this camera like Grandad & Horus can , but I'm sure once you get to know your camera better we'll be seeing super duper pics from you :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and take photos but the weather here is awful. Raining cats & dogs & elephants here today - absolutely pouring down!!

I've been sitting in my chair and have taken a few photos of some plants across the room but that activity didn't last long.

It IS going to be a challenge with this camera to keep it steady enough to take an 'in focus' photo. Am sure I'll get the hang of it as I know I really have quite an interest in taking photos of birds. Birds are fast moving and it does seem to take quite a bit to get set up to be able to capture them however if you get a good photo of a bird it is usually a really good one!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

If you have plenty of bright daylight LLL, you could switch to 'S' shutter priority and set the speed to a 500th or 1000th second. The camera will take care of the best aperture and film speed and that shutter speed will help to reduce the chance of camera shake. But remember to switch back to EXR for general fully auto snapping.

Tell you what, perhaps Horus and me will come with you to carry your bag and offer advice, just like golf caddies eh? :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds good to me!! Will show you all the sights and interesting places in this area!!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It's a deal then, I will bring a cake and Kiya will bring her bench and we can all sit down and take snaps of your Grimpen Mire :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

That sounds like a plan, my bench will easily hold us all ;)