Joined the Club

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Joined the Club

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've joined the club and purchased a refurbished Fujifilm HS50 (before Christmas) and have now had a chance to get it out of the box and look at it and it looks pretty neat - however - when I bought it on Ebay the actual listing didn't detail any extras - i.e. neckstrap, battery etc. so prior to purchase I sent an email to the Seller (a business) and asked what all came with the camera and was advised I was buying only the camera body.

Accordingly I then purchased on Ebay a neckstrap, 2 batteries and a charger, UV lens cover, USB data cable and carrying case.

Now when I've opened the camera box the camera DOES come with a battery, neckstrap, USB cable and battery charger. Darn it all anyway - not that I spent a fortune by any stretch but Geez!! I guess having 3 batteries just means I can snap away non-stop before I need to recharge a battery.

No photos yet, just have everything on the charger getting it all ready!! :)

Am excited!! :) :) :) :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Joined the Club

Post by Grandad »

Good news LLL, and when you said you were getting a refurb I thought it is unusual NOT to come with the necessary accessories. It is always wise to have extra batteries so that is good. I am finding that the batteries are lasting a long time but maybe that is because I use the eye level finder nearly all the time.
Hope you get on with it OK. I am pleased with mine and must confess that I seldom use the other two cameras but that will change in the better weather. Let us see at least one or two pics before you are off on holiday. :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you got your new HS50, I reckon you will be very pleased with it, those swans are going to look great as a close up and we should see the whites of their eyes :up
As Grandad says you can't have too many batteries, I also have three for my camera, one in and two as spares fully charged in my bag. I stick a small label on the back of each battery and then write the charge date down and then use all three in rotation crossing off the last date as they are recharged again. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good idea about the label for recharge dates. I have 3 batteries for my Nikon and often do run through a battery during an outing however the large long lens take quite bit of Ooomph from the battery when I'm using it. With the Nikon all three batteries look different so I can usually remember which are charged and which need to be charged.

And, speaking of charged, I've got the batteries charged, have the camera ready to go AND it has started to pour down rain here! GEEZ - it followed me. Definitely can't wait to get to Mexico and see sunshine!

I'm going to watch the CD tonight that came with the camera as this one is slightly different from the Nikon and I'm personally not intuitive about electronics. I do have my monopod to bring with and use so hopefully that will help steady everything.

I did buy this pre-Christmas on Ebay as a refurbished pretty cheap and while I half thought even as a refurb it should come with neckstraps and stuff I was a bit surprised when I got the answer I got of "nothing" when I asked. I figured it was so cheap the store it came from had it stripped down to nada, I did expect to have to buy a camera bag and lens cover and extra battery but did think a neckstrap and battery at a minimum would be included and they were! Am sure I can find some use for the neckstrap ;)

On first blush I'm not too sure I like the flip open LCD screen. I'm pretty sure I'll still be looking through the viewfinder vs looking at the screen. I can look at the screen on the Nikon but never do.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That flip out screen will have it's uses guaranteed :up Saves you stooping down, you can get lower shots by tilting the screen upwards, or downwards to raise your camera over peoples heads or objects such a fences. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I can see that it'll have its uses - problem will be if I actually remember to use it. I've never had a camera with a flip out door and on the Nikon I never use the back LCD screen other than to look at photos after already taking the picture.

I've often seen people with small camera holding the camera out in front of them at arms length and snapping away. To me that looks awkward and I can't do that but to each his own.

I can definitely see though where a monopod is needed to keep the camera steady.