MAY PHOTO COMPETITION

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

The top floor of Mc Donalds ;)

jewel

Post by jewel »

What a lovely picture :) ....its not like that now :( what have they done to the place?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Indeed Jewel, and with apologies to Kiya (love your picture) I couldn't resist this comparison...

Where has all the green gone??? The angle has something to do with it but I am sure it is more sparse now. :(
:gg:
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Grandad wrote:
Where has all the green gone??? The angle has something to do with it but I am sure it is more sparse now. :(
[face=Comic Sans MS]Wow, how much better it all looks with the greenery. I can see it may have possibley deemed better to remove the trees from the actual temple area as I suppose the roots could cause damage to the foundations etc. But surely the plaza area would be of benifit to all if it were greener.[/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

At the moment I am very annoyed :x I have in excess of 14,500 photographs in my albums (mostly Egypt :D )
Some months back I decided to reorganise my folders in a more logical manner, so I adopted the following infallible system:
Divide all subjects into Main Folders, for example 'All Egypt' 'Other Holidays' 'Family Photo's' 'Wildlife' etc. Each of these Main-Folders would then have Sub-Folders, so in the case of 'All Egypt' it contained the sub-folder 'Historical Sites' this again had sub-folders for every historical site such as 'Karnak' 'Luxor' 'Medinet Habu' 'Valley of the Kings'
In this way it was a logical process to find any particular photograph by working down through the folder tree :) A picture of the Temple of Horus? no problem :P Look in - All Egypt---Historical Sites---Edfu and bingo, just scroll through the pictures for the one you want :) Or so I thought :(

I know that I have quite a few taken in the plaza area outside of Luxor temple, but where are they? I have gone through every logical sequence to locate them but so far no joy :? I can only assume that somewhere in the reorganisation which included some deleting of duplicated pictures they went missing. Fortunately I backed up all of the pictures on lots of CDs before the big edit, so now all I have to do is to find the willpower and time to go through all those CDs and find the missing pictures :roll:
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

OK basic question but have you tried doing a search for Horus?
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus a while back I was tidying up all my folders something in the same lines you have done...folders/sub folders etc while I was doing it I lost some pics or so I thought, when looking through other folders I found them, what I think happened while I was dragging & dropping from folder-folder I obviously put them in the wrong folder............its easy done ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

PR wrote:
OK basic question but have you tried doing a search for Horus?
The problem is that nearly all of my pictures still have their camera defined number, for example 000-0158 so it is impossible to know where to start :roll: even using date selection won't help as the 'Luxor Town' ones will have been taken over a period of years. :(

Kiya, I think what you are saying makes a lot of sense :) regardless of how careful we are it is so easy to drop one folder inside another and with the speed of transfer on my machine it is completed in a short time. Alternatively, I may not have copied them at all when I re-organised my files :| I know that I have them somewhere, just a matter of finding them again :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Had to escape over here from the Blue Zone.....Big debate going on over there about a poor injured or deformed goat that Stan went to the aid of.
OMG what a can of opinionated worms that has opened. I hate animal cruelty so have backed off. :(

We all have that trouble Horus and I think the drag and drop is the most likely reason. I have to be particularly careful if I select say 20-30 pics to move to another folder. As they all move at once you have to look through the images to see that your desired destination is highlighted.

Enough of that....back to this thread.

I Googled David Roberts and found a very nice site with most of his pics....may be the same one that you use. (121 available but more have now been released)

Anyhow, I loved the pictures and spent an hour copying them down to a folder on my computer.....Yes, sad isn't it, but I have plenty of time to spare for such persuits. :)

If anyone would also like them I will put up a Picasa Web Album to save you the time.....and there are no copyright problems....70 year rule applies. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad that you found the David Roberts paintings Grandad, I find them fascinating :) The ones I have been using come from a set of A2 sized prints (reproductions) that I bought in Cairo a few years ago. :D
I agree it can get a bit intense at times over there :? that's why I rarely get involved now days :roll:
bigken

Post by bigken »

Horus wrote:Glad that you found the David Roberts paintings Grandad, I find them fascinating :) The ones I have been using come from a set of A2 sized prints (reproductions) that I bought in Cairo a few years ago. :D
I agree it can get a bit intense at times over there :? that's why I rarely get involved now days :roll:

Think i might have the same set, is there 12 prints in it Horus, come on then Grandad lets be having this link for the Picasa Web Album :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

There certainly is Ken :) All the major temples?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Here you go then Ken, try this

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Raddang/P ... ertsRA1838#

I have added the titles that appeared with the pictures but these can be switched off if you wish. They are rather small files so will not enlarge satisfactorilly. Many of them are really lovely and I am sure that it is from these that the Nile Palace Hotel selected their pictures for the guest rooms.

Interesting that some temples are those raised for the flooding of Lake Nasser and will have been seen by those who have done the Lake trip or explored by road.
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Just been and had a lovely long peep at your Picasa Album Grandad.

Lovely! :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very nice Grandad :) I never cease to be amazed at the amount of paintings he must have done during his visit to Egypt. Looking at my own set of pictures there are still some that are not included in the collection shown in your link.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just been browsing my Egypt pics and found 6 Roberts' pictures which are in a much better definition than the album I posted, larger file sizes. They include St Catherines Monastery, Mount Sinai, and Petra so he obviously painted a vast portfolio, now so valuable as an eye witness record.

I am fascinated by the extent to which the ancient monuments were buried and remained so for thousands of years. As Luxor Temple is our current topic I have been looking at evidence of this and have put together 3 pictures to illustrate my point.

The first 2 clearly show the difference in levels between Roberts' painting and a recent photo. The right hand frame (sorry it's a cropped area from a night shot) shows marks well up the column which would have been just above the then ground level.

I have always understood that these marks are where tools were sharpened in the past and similar marks are evident on most monuments. (There are some excellent ones on the collonade of Seti I)

Is it generally accepted that tool sharpening was responsible for these marks or is there another explanation?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You have raised a very interesting point about those marks Grandad :) Along with many others I have heard various explanation for these marks, they have ranged from (in some cases) rub marks where boats were tied up during periods of flooding and in some cases this is obviously true as there are accompanying holes nearby to thread a mooring rope through. Then I have also heard the 'used for sharpening tools' theory and the very plausible one that says it was the ancient Egyptians scraping off some of the stone below the actual hieroglyph in order to gain some sort of magic or cure for an illness etc.

I once spent a whole day at Medinet Habu pondering this question and I came to the conclusion that although some of these explanations may be true in some cases, that the majority are caused by sand and wind erosion caused by some kind of eddying effect triggered by the actual hieroglyph itself. :)
At the time I took lots of pictures to support this theory, so I must try to locate them and post a few.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

With my 'Engineers hat on', Horus, I tend to agree with your scepticism about these marks being made by sharpening tools. What edge tool would produce a smooth tear drop shaped recess?

Something I have noticed is that the marks may appear at different levels suggesting that they were made when the extent of the burial of the monument was also at different levels......over centuries maybe?

My composite picture shows some columns at Seti l Temple. The left hand picture is of a column base to the left of the entrance to the temple. The right hand picture shows that column and three others, the first and third from the left clearly show these marks at two distinctly differing levels.

If my memory is not failing me (and I sometimes wonder :) ), I believe that these marks are only found on columns, someone please correct me if I am wrong; but with evidence! If that is so then the mooring of boats or even possibly tethering of animals may be reponsible for them.....
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good examples to support what you are saying Grandad, but they definitely appear on solid walls of other temples, will try to sort out a few pictures :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here is just one photo to show what I mean about them being on the outer walls of temples. This one is taken at Medinet Habu, worth noting that there are similar marks further down near the base that have almost disappeared with time. Also if you look about midway the hieroglyphs do appear to be disintegrating and taking on other shapes, but just to complicate matters some marks do seem to be deliberately scraped below certain areas on the wall that would reinforce the magical properties theory. I have got some definite examples of some hieroglyphs being eroded into similar shapes but they are on video, so I must try to grab a few pictures off the disc.