Artistic Talent

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Artistic Talent

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I initially took up photography as it was my intention to take photos I could later paint on canvas. Course my only impediment to that idea, which I held onto for years and years, was that I really don't know how to paint.

For those not living in Canada, Cochrane is NW of Calgary, Alberta and east of Banff, in the Foothills of the Rockies.

This mural was unveiled last week at the Cochrane Ranch House.

http://www.muralmosaic.com/Cochrane.html

It is both amazing and spectacular as this mural is made up of multi smaller pictures completed by individual artists.

LOOK CLOSELY BY CLICKING ON ANY PART OF THE MURAL.

Each tile is one foot square, is its own individual picture and each is by a different artist. All of them together form this huge mural. You can click on each of the tiles to see them in detail. Check out, especially, the horse's eye.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Artistic Talent

Post by Horus »

It is the amazing overall vision that someone must have to see a larger picture in all of those smaller ones. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow!! that's amazing! :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is almost as if the individual pictures were painted to fit some overal plan. I wonder how many pictures had to be sorted to create the final image? Very impressive. :up

But you know LLL, if you look at any of the individual pictures, they are certainly not works of art and well within the ability of someone with very basic painting skills and training. Simplicity of design seems to be the message. Get a pad of art paper and a cheap set of water colours and have a go. You don't know what hidden talents you may possess ;) ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I always used to lament my own lack of artistic ability to Mrs H as I would have dearly loved to be able to draw or paint. She would always reply by saying "yes but you have other things that you are very creative with, so that is your talet" I suppose she was right in a way, but isn't it strange that you never seem to recognise the actual talets you do have. :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

'n' key got stuck H? ;)

I too would like to be able to paint but never tried. My biggest regret in life is never learning to read music and play an instrument, preferably piano. But never mind, I CAN play the record player :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way way way back in the day of the dinosaur I did take a 10 weeker in drawing but hmmm - well ??? I also took up oil paints briefly at one point in time again I'm talking 40 yrs ago but my talent just isn't there. I do know that many artists look at a photo, do a rough blocking of the canvas with graphic paper and then block in the big bits etc however while I can do that it is the fine finishing, the shading and tiny points that make the final work "hangable" on the wall and "lookable" with appreciation ;)

I often thought my art work should be like the kind of pictures kids turn out - BUT - :( the kids art usually looked better than mine! :o
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Great mural, same artist did a lot of them .. I also borrowed the horsehead one ... I did used to draw from peoples photos, years ago, and won a competition for copying a five pound note . . . . I expect I will have time again when I retire .... maybe .. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ Grandad, it happens a lot nowadays Grandad, fat fingers hitting two keys or missing them altogether. ;)

@ Jay, can you draw me a few thousand if your that good :up :lol: :lol: