Vignettes the Method

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Vignettes the Method

Post by Horus »

Creating a Vignette in Elements

1. Open up Elements in ‘Expert’ mode
2. Choose your image and open it.
3. Now click on the ‘Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer’ icon and choose the option ‘Solid Colour’ from the drop down menu.

4. You will see a new layer created above your ‘Background’ Layer and a ‘white’ Layer Mask linked alongside of it.
5. You will also see the Colour Swatch picker menu, at this point it could be any colour (usually the last one you were using).
6. Either move the circle to the extreme top left, or type the number 255 into each of the R, G & B buttons and click OK. This will change the fill colour to solid white.

7. Next choose the ‘Elliptical’ Marquee tool and pull out a fairly large ellipse making sure you are clicked on the ‘White’ layer mask above your background layer.

8. Again without moving from the Mask Layer go to the ‘Edit’ menu at the top and from the drop down menu choose ‘Fill Selection’
9. At the next drop down menu ensure that ‘Black’ is the colour in the ‘Use’ box, if not click on the small down arrow and select the colour ‘Black’ then click OK.

10. You should now see a neat elliptical hole in the white layer with your image partly visible.

11. Now ‘deselect’ the elliptical marching ants by going to ‘Select’ then choosing ‘Deselect’
12. Next go to ‘Filter’ then choose ‘Blur’ then ‘Gaussian Blur’
13. If you then try clicking at various points along the ‘Radius’ line in the Gaussian Blur dropdown box and waiting a short while, you should see the ‘Vignette’ changing as you do so.

14. To make your final adjustments to the position and the size of the Vignette, stay on the mask layer and choose your ‘Move’ tool from the side menu.
15. As you do so the corners of the image will have the small squares on them and by pulling in any corner box you can change the size of the image to be blurred, you can even rotate the image blur box. Then by moving your mouse pointer to the middle of the image you can hold down a ‘left click’ and move the square to anywhere you like over the background image to get the best position, then tick the box.

16. To get rid of the outer box lines just click on another tool
17. If needed also use the ‘Crop’ tool and the Thirds grid to resize the image for a final crop.

Final Crop

It is worth mentioning that although you must ALWAYS use ‘Black’ for the Fill Selection on the Mask Layer (item 9) but you may use other suitable colours (instead of the white) for the actual Blur colour, have fun. :wi

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Vignettes the Method

Post by Kiya »

Ok got this one printed, will do it later :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that H :up More elegant than my method :)

Copied and printed for later. Gosh, my tutorials folder is really getting thick. Good job I have it though because I couldn't possibly remember it all. ;) :up
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad wrote:Thanks for that H :up More elegant than my method :)

Copied and printed for later. Gosh, my tutorials folder is really getting thick. Good job I have it though because I couldn't possibly remember it all. ;) :up

Ditto :) :) :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Here's my first trial

Roy's home early from doing a course at work & will be hogging my computer for a while :(

Will get some more done later :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looking good Kiya :up Try having the Vignette showing all around instead of just on the corners
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The first significant difference to my crude (but effective) method is that you can move and adjust the selection. (Suppose that's why it is called an 'adjustment' layer :lol: )

I did about 8 trying different borders and background colours. However I found that it is difficult to get a background colour that looks right other than the white. So here are three that I think work quite well. I stayed away from portraits guessing that Kiya would be coming up with one or ten ;) ;)

Nice elegant technique Horus and I think I can just about remember that for the future.
Cheers :up :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your right Grandad that is why it is called an Adjustment Layer, because you make all sorts of 'adjustments' on them. :up
It also is getting you to use 'masks' and realising that filling a shape with 'black' on a mask layer will delete the shape from the solid white colour.

As to the pictures, they are all superb and I particlarly like the Sissinghurst one. :up
My only CC's (constructive criticisms) is to repair or clone that plastic in the background of the second image and if at all possible try to remove the plant from obscuring the ladies lower arm as it distracts slightly from a really nice pastoral image, which is a shame. Otherwise 11 out of 10 :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I thought I did have it all round but, remembered I cropped so that maybe took it away from the sides........back to the drawing board ;) :)

Love your pics Grandad & the first one especially, love all the bright colours, are you sure it's a castle,it looks more like someone's allotment with the wooden chair at the door. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is more renowned for its gardens Kiya, created by Vita Sackville-West the English author and poet and Harold Nicolson her husband.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

OMG Horus...you really look close into a picture. I certainly accept your CC's, thank you. I was only using the pictures to practice the vignetting but as you point out, you might as well make the most of a picture and doing that extra bit. :up ;) I DO think that some images are enhanced with a vignette but I have more to try like converting to B & W and also sepia etc...

Kiya I should have titled it 'Cottage at Sissinghurst Castle'. It is a lovely National Trust property less than an hours drive from me, and one of my favourite places. It was the home of Sir Harold Nicholson and his wife Vita Sackville-West from the thirties. They were writers and members of 'The Bloomsbury Group' from which Vita had a passionate lesbian affair with Virginia Wolff. Interesting family. ;)

Snap...we almost posted simultaneously H :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: I watch most of the programs about famous gardens Grandad and also visited a few of them;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks , that more like it, a cottage in the gardens of a castle grounds :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I re-did the Pastoral Scene H but did not crop so much. What is your CC about the two images? Do you think the tighter crop or the wider view is best (PS. I have already noticed that the vignette is not central ;) )
4814 4815
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The second one is definately better :up the wider crop works well and she is much more defined in the picture. Also (and I hate to mention this :lol: ) but in the tighter cropped image that stalk of grass was a little too prominant in the center of the image and took your eye off the bridge. The lady is nicely on the thirds and it also has a little bit of blue sky which works very well and seeing more of the river leads the eye into the bridge and being on the diagonal that enhances the effect. As to the vignette it looked OK to me, but if you mean the slightly darker shading on the RH side where the trees show through, then you could very carefully add a touch more white using a large brush set at a low opacity and just dust it over a little bit on that side, if you feel the need that is.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Had you not noticed? I removed that long grass and the plant across the lady's back...

Thanks for your comments, I think it makes quite a nice picture. It is a lovely location just a couple of miles down river from me at Fordwich, the smallest town in Britain.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I did notice Grandad that's why I said the lady looks clearer in your second picture. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I did a couple yesterday before hospital appts but, when looking at them again I saw a straight line showing through Vignette, I don't think it should be like that ??

Grandad I saw it on your 2nd photo above at the left side & it looks annoying to me, correct me Mr Tutor if I'm wrong ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

OMG Kiya, you are getting as keen eyed as Horus :( I can now see it BUT the original picture extended much further than where the line appears so it is not the edge of the original. Can't think why it is there...

Wedding pictures tend to suit the process and this is my neighbour at her daughters wedding 24 years ago (It is a low def scan of the neg so only a small file) I also tried the B & W conversion that also suits wedding pics.

4819 4820
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It works well on those two images Grandad.

@ Kiya, I am glad that my pupils are taking note and not allowing any shody work to get past them. ;) :lol: :lol: