Last Nights Camera Club Results

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Last Nights Camera Club Results

Post by Horus »

Well I said that I would keep you updated on last nights Camera Club competition, so just to recap we can enter two Mono images and two Colour images and they are then awarded points by an invited judge who gives marks out of 20 and then rates his top positions from 1st, 2nd, & 3rd then Highly Commended (4th) and Commended (5th) and he does this in both sections.

Last nights judge travelled from Wales to judge our entries and he was quite elderly although he seemed very sprightly, but he obviously had lots of experience and said he had his first camera in 1947. He was certainly different in his approach and unlike many other judges I have seen he went through all the entries several times and commented on every one regarding camera technique and his overall impression of the image being judged and pointing out things he liked or disliked and what he may have preferred to see. He then went through them all again and gave each image points out of 20 and as an indication of how the overall scoring went, his lowest mark was 13 and his highest mark was 20.

It was obvious from the beginning that this guy took no prisoners and much to the surprise of many senior members he gave very low marks for their entries. He also gave low marks for poor images so it was difficult at times to see where his preference’s lay and to be honest I was not holding out much hope on my own.

Anyway in the Mono section he gave my Woodland log image a slightly below average mark of 14 and said he liked it overall, but thought it was over sharpened which was a fair comment.

Things picked up with my Smokey Spoon image and he said he liked the technique and its simplicity and held it over as a potential card winner. It did go through to a final judging and was awarded 17 points and a Commended certificate, so I was quite pleased about that. :up

In the Colour section, my Egypt composite image was also given 17 points and he made a comment that he could not be sure if it was a photograph of another picture in a frame that had been used to create it, or if it was one of the photographers own images and if it was then he would have rated it higher. :( You cannot comment during the judging so I could not tell him that it was actually another of my images used inside the picture frame and not a framed painting although I did tell him so later in the evening. Having said that I was happy enough to get in the top points and although there were a couple of others with the same higher score, mine did not go through so no card for that one. :)

The big surprise was that as well as the 17 points awarded for my Egypt image he also held back my Butterfly image into the final selection and made some nice comments about clarity, colour and general composition. When it came down to the places I was thinking to myself that a Highly Commended would be nice, so when he gave the Commended to another image my hopes were raised, I would at least now get the Highly Commended which would be a feather in my cap. When he gave the Highly Commended to someone else I began thinking Wow! I may even get a Third place certificate. :P

His laser pointer hovered over the final three images which comprised mine and two of the top guys in the club with images that always did well in competitions. "I will give this one Third place" he announced and it wasn’t mine! Double wow! I could be getting a Second place card here. He continued to scrutinise the last two images and his pointer hovered over my entry, excellent I though, a second place card, I was well chuffed. :D

With his pointer on MY image he said “ I am awarding this image 1st place and the other one is Second” :jig:
To say I was surprised is an understatement, but of course very pleased to have gained that card. I could see a few people looking about to see who this person was who had beaten them all, but I could also see a lot of people applauding and obviously pleased that I had won and many commented later that they thought that the judging was really good and it made a change to see someone else winning and not the usual candidates.

So there you have it, a good night all round for me and that means I will have one of my images scrolling around on the clubs web-site. :br

My winning image

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Last Nights Camera Club Results

Post by Grandad »

Really well done H, and many congratulations. :d1:

Just shows, what the hell do I know :lol: :lol: But I am so pleased my observation was totally at odds with the professional :up
:gg:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

WOW ! ! ! CONGRATULATIONS HORUS. maybe the judge knew how flighty the butterflies were - :hug: :br: :br: :br: :wave: :bs:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Well Done Horus.........Congratulations.......... a worthy winner!!!!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks and to be fair to you Grandad it is not always easy to see an image at its best with the limits of the forum resolution. He did comment that there was a couple of overbright areas near the tips of two flower petals, but to be honest in the original I could not see them, lighter in colour yes, but not overbright.

There is a funny little anecdote to this, when the cards were made out they were in a hurry as we were running over our time a bit. So when I received mine it had a different name on it and a different image title and so did several others. They were hastily handed back and the secretary crossed out the name and titles and wrote in the correct details below the lines, they will be replaced at a later date. My mate who goes to the club with me has a sense of humour sinilar to mine and as we share a mutual buddy (the one who's garage roof we replaced) he is going to wind him up about it and tell him something like "What do you think of what he did the other night? another member threw his card away in disgust at getting only a Commended certificate and when he saw it he picked it up crossed out the details and then wrote his own in, but don't tell him I said anything" :lol: :lol: We will no doubt keep this deception up for a little while with me continually bragging to him about my win and him thinking that I found certificate and changed it to mine :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

:lol: :lol: What are you like.....................wicked :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ive already put the bubble in by bragging about it to him this afternoon, so just a case of my other mate telling him about me changing the card. ;) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Congrats H!! Good on you for the FIRST! :d1: :d1:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

We'll done, Horus, and I'm sure you were a worthy winner! It almost makes me want to take up photography! (I did say 'almost'!) :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks again folks and RS you could do worse than getting yourself a camera and taking a few snaps then you could join in and post a few on here. You don't need anything expensive and there is plenty of free stuff available to put on a laptop or PC if you want to edit them. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes RS, come and join our little photo group. As Horus said, it doesn't have to be expensive and, if you don't have a camera at present, why not try one of the little compacts from Fuji, Canon, Nikon or Panasonic. You can get something to give very good results for under £100 and that is with a medium zoom. (Of course you can pay more but the compacts are very small and handbag size)
Hope to see some of your snaps soon. :up :)

And besides, we need more to challenge our new champion ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Sorry, folks! DH has been trying to get me into photography for years - and he hasn't succeeded yet! :lol: I always tell him that my eyes are my camera. Drives him wild! :D he's the photographer in the family; my talents lie in other directions.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

SO, let's see some of his snaps ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, they are on his PC, not mine, and I don't touch his computer! By the same token, if he touched mine, I'd chop his **<~^%* hands off! :xx
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus, I was just browsing the local Photographic Society website and thought you may like to have a look. @ http://canterburyphotographicsociety.co ... -2013-2014

I am still thinking about joining for next season. They must be one of the oldest societies having been formed in 1898. However I am a little put off by their title 'Canterbury Photographic Society' which sounds a little stuffy. Photographic Club sounds much more friendly. I might well be wrong but perhaps the best thing is to go along one evening and see how I find them.

I will go to their annual print exhibition next month and perhaps have a chat with some of the members.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just had a quick look Grandad and I would say it looks about par for the course with the various evenings, lectures and competitions so I would say give it a go. :up The winners gallery also looks very similar to what our own has for quality and variation, so again I would say you probably have a similar mix of interests and skill levels in that club as we do in ours and I am sure you will be able to hold your own at least. It is a shame that they all seem to end about May and kick off again in September, but I suppose with holidays and other things it does give you time to stock up with more images ready for the following club season. A good idea to take a look at their prints, but remember that they will mainly be by their best photographers so don't be put off. What it will do is to give you some idea of what the judges like to see and maybe give you a few ideas of your own, so go ahead and join up next season, what have you got to lose?