Finally Decided

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Finally Decided

Post by Horus »

Well I finally got around to ordering my new camera and I decided upon the Fuji X-S1

As you may recall I was about to get one a few months ago before things got a bit turned on their head. I have had a lot of things to do that put it all on the back burner then there was the arrival of Little Annie that took up a lot of my time. Now she is a bit older and needing a less attention and coupled with the fact that I have rekindled my interest by joining the local Camera Club and even making myself a full member last week I decided to take the plunge and get the camera.

One thing that held me back was the introduction of the new Fuji HS50 that came in at a similar price and offered to be something special. As you know I have forsaken any idea of DSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses in favour of ‘Bridge cameras with fixed, but long zoom lenses. I have discussed this before and given all my reasons for going in this direction in particular weight to carry around and the expense of buying into one system for lenses.

So why the X-S1 over the HS50? Well to be honest the HS50 has some great features including a huge zoom of 42 times optical & 84 times digital as opposed to the X-S1 having a 26 times optical and a 52 with digital zoom, but I decided that the higher zoom was not really a factor as I already have a camera with a 30 times optical and 60 times digital zoom and don’t really use it that much.

With that reduction in zoom range (which I can happily live without) comes the ability to increase the cameras sensor size from ½” on the HS50 to a 2/3-inch on the X-S1 which is a big difference in sensor size, in fact it has the same 2/3-inch 12 mega pixel EXR CMOS sensor as the much-lauded X10 camera has. The overall mega pixels are a bit less than the 16 mega pixels of the HS50, but again I am not over impressed by big mega pixel cameras unless you want to pixel peep or print them at AO size.

The HS50 has a really nice swing out and rotate rear LCD and I really like the way it will rotate and close against the back of the camera to avoid damage when not being used. The X-S1 does not do that, but it does have a very versatile hinge out and tilt up or down rear LCD the same as my other Fuji camera so I am happy enough with that.

Like the HS50 the X-S1 has many features built into the camera but overall the HS50 probably has a few more than the X-S1, some are nice to have and some are more gimmicky and probably get little use after a few outings. The HS50 has a very impressive 3.0-inch, approx. 920,000 dots, TFT colour LCD monitor, whereas the X-S1 has a lower resolution 460,000 dots, so only around half. Having said that it is still twice the DPI of my current camera so it has to be a vast improvement. Both myself and Grandad have commented in the past about disliking having to use a rear LCD on smaller cameras in order to frame your picture due to the lack of a viewfinder on most of them, I still feel the same and will use the camera viewfinder in preference to the rear LCD.

This is where the X-S1 will score markedly over the HS50 as it has a much larger EVF window 0.47-inch electronic viewfinder, as opposed to the much smaller 0.26 inch on the HS50, so physically it is almost 4 times the area. It also has the far greater DPI of 1.4 million as opposed to 920,000 on the HS50 and for anyone not familiar with this 1.4 million dots is very nearly as good as having a mirror on a DSLR and indeed many DSLR’s are now boasting that they are mirror-less and use these high resolution EVF’s instead.

Finally although the HS50 is a well built piece of kit and I would be very happy with the build quality, but it is like many modern cameras constructed of an Acrylic type material. This material is excellent for the job, but the X-S1 has an alloy body underneath the outer skin so is a much more durable build. It also has a proper alloy tripod thread on the underside unlike all of the Fuji HS range which have an acrylic threaded insert which although mine have never failed, I do know plenty of people who have stripped the threads, but they were probably a bit ham fisted, having said that I prefer my camera to be attached to a metal thread when on a tripod so that’s another plus.

The actual lens is also of a much better all alloy construction on the X-S1 as are all the cams and rings so the build quality is of a higher standard than the HS50 and as it was the flagship camera when it came out it is all ‘Built in Japan’ as opposed to Taiwan, Korea or China. It has a nine bladed shutter so that is another plus on the X-S1.

I could pick up the newer HS50 for around £70 less than the older X-S1 as the price has dropped recently, but I have basically sacrificed a few extras and a longer zoom for a better build quality, a larger sensor, a physically larger EVF and a much sharper 1.4 million dot EVF, all of which I think are more important to me when comparing both cameras together. In all honesty it was a difficult choice and I could happily own the HS50, but I think that the X-S1 will fit my needs a bit better so here’s hoping I have made the right decision.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Finally Decided

Post by Grandad »

Great choice H and an amazing specification. :up They really do pack so much into their (Fuji's) cameras. I think you might consider a monopod (if you have not already got one) for your walks....I would certainly have a problem holding still a camera with that sort of zoom. I have an old and rather heavy Manfrotto that I partially extend and use as a trekking pole. :lol:

Have fun with your new toy and as always, we look forward to seeing some early shots. :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Cheers Grandad, actually they are not too bad if you can brace yourself, but that 42 x zoom would be a problem. I can just about manage my 30 x zoom handheld although at the long end it can be blurry, but the image stabilisation helps a lot, to be honest I am having more trouble with this little Nikon at 4 x zoom than my big camera with the 30 x zoom :( I do have a mono pod and a couple of tripods including a very good solid one that is built like a battleship, but is too heavy to lug about even though it is alloy, although pefect if you are stationary.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds like a terrific camera H :up :up

Personally when I use a monopod the qualitative different of my photos is really obvious and using a monopod is mandatory when I use a zoom lens.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thought you might like a look at this comparison test between an SLR and my new X-S1 bridge camera, it is qiute amusing seeing the banter between these two guys and maybe you can see why I plumped for this particular camera. :up

phpBB [video]

And this one shows off some of its best features:
phpBB [video]
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

After watching the video & I think I understood all the techy stuff your onto a winner with your new camera :)

For some unknown reason I thought you & Grandad's Fuji's were pocket sized camera's but actually still a fair sized camera to haul about with.

I don't know how these photographer's on telly/ news etc manage to get good shot photos without using a tripod etc, their camera lenses look huge & heavy :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm with Kiya in that I thought you guys were buying small, carry in your shirt pocket cameras - course - shouldda known! :P They're pretty spiffy and even BUBBLE LEVELS! WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Picasa is my bubble level ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Now you know what they say "size counts" :lol:
You may be confusing the fact that both Grandad and myself DID buy ourselves a small 'point & shoot' type camera for sticking in our pockets, but Grandad also bought a small-ish camera that was not a point and shoot but a very sophisticated camera that had retro styling so it looks more like say the old film Leica camera or something similar, but it is smaller in size than a conventional DSLR. Both my own new 'larger' looking camera & Grandad's 'smaller' looking retro style camera have exactly the same sensor fitted in them, but mine has a bigger zoom hence it's larger physical size as it is in fact a DSLR without interchangeable lenses, whereas Grandad's is meant to look more compact and retro styled. (wish I could afford both :) )
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

OH MY GOODNESS ;) !!! Boys and their toys! ;) All along I thought we were talking a small point and shoot model that was pocket sized.....I SHOULD have known or guess'd!

Anyway -they are great looking cameras and I'm really loving all the photos that are put on here :) :) :) :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL I guess Horus & Grandad has to buy bigger, I don't think for a minute they have dainty little hands like us :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's true Kiya, I am always hitting two keys at once on my keyboard :lol: