GHOST OR WHAT? YOU DECIDE

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

GHOST OR WHAT? YOU DECIDE

Post by Grandad »

I mentioned a strange 'cloud' in a picture at Bodium castle. I have now looked through my pictures again and have found two more with that same 'cloud'. What intrigues me is that all 4 pictures are taken in the same corner of the castle. It does not look like lens flare to me and the pictures were taken at different angles relative to the sun.

Of course I don't believe in ghosts but I am looking for a plausible explanation of this, particularly when it does not appear in any other pictures. I need some explanation that I can intentionally replicate. There is absolutely no way that a finger could be anywhere near the lens on the X10 with the standard lens hood fitted.

Here are the four images in question. Suggestions please ;)

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: GHOST OR WHAT? YOU DECIDE

Post by Kiya »

Oh I'm hoping its a ghost you have captured :o On a serious point could it just be a particle of dust on the inside of your lens ?

I don't know if you can see it but on the 1st picture I see some colour around the cloudy spot.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Pretty certain you have something on the lens, it does not look like a fault on the sensor as its too random, but I have seen similar effects from fingerprints and vapour.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Something that would support that Horus is that the lens does not turn when zooming so it would always be in the same place, as it is. I have cleaned the lens and skylight filter although there was no visible dust on them.
Will see what happens :up

Still think it's a ghost :)))

Edit:These are the five pics I used for the pano. The 'ghost' starts from the left and moves across relative to the sun so I suppose I must concede that it was caused by some contamination on the lens. At least it rules out any sensor fault.

I will see what happens now I have cleaned everything.

(Still think it's a ghost though :))) :))) )
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just had a thought, the five frames for the pano were in portrait format while other pictures showing the 'phenomena' :? are in landscape. The 'thing' is always bottom of frame so this negates the dirty lens theory, doesn't it :?: So, without any science to the contrary, it is still a ghost ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I reckon youv'e got some condensation in your lens :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Is this a refurbished camera Grandad? And, if yes and if it is condensation can you get it back to the store for a trade?

OR do you happen to have a polarizing or other filter that got touched and then moves a bit as you take a picture?

OR it definitely reminds me of my Great great great grandpa on my father's side. I'm saying because he always was known to be a shadowy figure.......AND when I look at your photos I think I can hear him calling to me........what he is saying isn't clear so I was kinda hoping you'd take and show more photos so hopefully his voice will become stronger :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LLL :))) :))) :)))
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I reckon youv'e got some condensation in your lens :o
I hope not H. That would be a real worry. I did have concerns that this was the problem that Fuji had with the original sensor but I have checked and that was for proper round orbs. Phew!

I will take some pics at similar angle to the sun to see if I can replicate the effect. I need to get to the root cause because I would hate to take some important pictures only to find my ghost when later viewed on a large screen. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is not the dreaded 'orb' problem grandad, that only affected shiny surfaces or street lights. More than likely there was a change in humidity and a tiny amount of moisture got inside the zoom, a good idea is to allow the camera to acclimatise when you take it out as a change in teperature can often cause this, also avoid fast zooming on your lens as this can also suck in moist air. I would try the old trick of putting it into a zipper bag with some dry rice and leave it somewhere warm for a day, that should get rid of it. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmm - that is a very good tip - bag/dry rice and wait. I agree Grandad has to get to the source of this as this isn't anything you'd want suddenly appearing (although I tell you my great great Grandad is very persistent and will appear anytime, anywhere for any reason particularly when he is least expected) on an important photo. Definitely is curious.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I spent a little time this afternoon to try to get some clues about my problem. I had a lot of help from LLL's 4 times great grandad :))) He and I got on well. :lol:

I took a range of pictures in 3 elevations, 3 angles with the sun and with 3 camera conditions, 27 pictures in all. I looked at each picture and noted any faults or defects that I could see. I was shooting very nearly into the sun so I had expected some hazing and rays. This is my summary of the results:

I found the 'ghost' very quickly when the sun was to the right. However this was absent after I first removed the UV filter and then removed the lens hood. It seems likely that the filter is causing the problem.
Looking at other pictures I found orbs which only occurred when the UV was fitted. Furthermore I found red and blue halos that were more pronounced when the lens hood was removed. (These would be worse as I was shooting almost into the sun)
Here is a collage to show the three conditions; Ghost cloud (bottom left), orbs, and halos (red and blue).

So with thanks for all your help and suggestions I think it best to buy a new UV or skylight filter but to buy a good quality one like Hoya. The one fitted is a Kenco UV but, although Kenco has a good name for filters, it is probably a copy and not made with optical glass.

So hopefully, QED :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Are you sure you are not working for TAPS, the canadian ghostbusters? I love the ghost photos, nice to have a bit of mystery in life . . :roll:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad after all your experementing I hope you find an answer :) but I still hope its a ghost :o :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jayway wrote:Are you sure you are not working for TAPS :roll:
Oh dear Jay, you have seen through my ploy, yes, a lifelong member......so is LLL I think...hearing her great grandad ;) :lol:
Kiya wrote:I still hope its a ghost :o :lol:
Wouldn't it be fun Kiya......and LLL already hearing spooks....what's going on :?: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is surprising how many problems can be down to poor filters, I have even seen people complaining about the quality of Hoya since they started using other manufacturers to produce cheaper options for them. I know of one brand where it was impossible to remove a finger print from a brand new filter regardless of how hard they tried and another where the coating actually came off during moderate cleaning. :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I have even seen people complaining about the quality of Hoya since they started using other manufacturers to produce cheaper options for them. I know of one brand where it was impossible to remove a finger print from a brand new filter regardless of how hard they tried and another where the coating actually came off during moderate cleaning. :o
I have seen similar stories too Horus. Problem today is that with so many copies, virtually indistinguishable from original products, other than performance; and authorised branding as you have mentioned. Whilst reading some posts yesterday about 'lens protection' filters, one person suggested that they were a waste of money and introduced more problems than without them. From my quick experiment yesterday I tend to agree with him. My consistently best results were with lens hood but no filter.

On the X10 the lens hood is permanently attached so the likelihood of lens damage is very slight. As I had cleaned the filter to a spotless condition yesterday, I have to assume that the orbs (always in the same position in the frame) were caused by imperfections in the glass.

I have a Photax 1A filter and will just repeat the exercise with the filter and lens hood mounted. If I still get poor results I shall use the camera for a while without filter but with my lens brush in my pocket. ;) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Did the test, sun not quite so strong but: No ghost, No orbs, No halo, No haze.

The Photax filter can stay on the camera........thanks for your patience with my problem :up :lol:

The Kenco UV is in the bin :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lots of top photographers will say dispense with the UV filters, in reality they are not required, but do offer some protection from accidental damage to your expensive lens. However with a lens hood fitted and a bit of care taken when out and about you should not really need one, although I still keep mine in place when travelling or not in use.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I tend to keep my UV filter on but I keep it on as a protection to my lens. I'd die if I didn't have it on and something happened to my lens.

Good you got it sorted out though Grandad and here I thought it was my great great great relative playing up with you. He is a very fiesty old guy.