Instructions & Links for GIMP software.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Instructions & Links for GIMP software.

Post by Horus »

As promised here is the link to a safe (as far as I can tell) site for downloading the GIMP editing software and as I said earlier it is completely Free to download and use.

I have installed this on my own PC and afterwards ran a virus scan using AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malaware Bytes and none of them report any problems, so it is a s good as it gets. Having said that I would always advise anyone that after you have downloaded and installed the program to run your own virus checker just to be on the safe side.

Windows Users, If you click on the link below this it will take you to the CNET site link for the GIMP download.
http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html

MAC users, it should work in a similar manner, but I have not been able to test it.
http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10322178.html

GIMP Download site, once on the site you will need to click on the Green ‘Download Now’ button

You will then get the following message displayed, click on the ‘Save File’ button.

You will next be asked where you want to save the file to, so you need to direct it to somewhere on your PC where you can find it again later. An easy place is to select your ‘Desktop’ as that way the file is easily visible (you can always delete it after installation), Alternatively you can tell it to save to a USB pen drive (memory stick) or any other place you care to save it to.

Once the download is complete, it does not take very long, but it is about 72 MB in size, then you need to find where you put the file, it will look like this:

Once you have located it double click on the setup icon and wait. Next you should get another message asking you “Do you want to run this file ?”. The publishers name will look unfamiliar as it is a separate piece of software written by a third party but designed to install the program for you, so click on the ‘Run’ button.

It is also normal to be asked which language you want, so again click the OK button.

The next window will be the GIMP 2.8 setup window and you need to click ‘Install’

During the installation you will see a blue progress bar running along the window, just leave it alone until it has finished.

Once completed the ‘Completing the GIMP Setup Wizard’ window will appear, when it does just click on the ‘Finish’ button.

The next thing you will need to do is to create yourself a shortcut on your ‘Desktop’ as the program itself does not create one. To do this (in XP) go to ‘Start’ then ‘Programs’ and look for ‘Gimp’ in the list and hover your mouse over it. Now right click your mouse and you will see ‘Create Shortcut’ in the fly out menu. Click on this and you should see another GIMP appear below the original one in your list. By holding down your left mouse button you can drag this onto your desktop as a ‘Shortcut’, alternatively just open the program by double left clicking on the word GIMP in your programs list.

When the programme starts you will see the GIMP 2.8 screen shown here, be patient as it can take a few minutes to actually load the program, as it does so a blue progress bar will run across the bottom.

When the program has fully loaded you should see a screen something very similar to this. Don’t worry if it is not exactly the same as some settings may need to be changed, we will do this together at a later date so that we can all have the same settings to make things easier with any tutorials or explanations, but don’t panic it will only require clicking a few tick boxes just so that we all sing from the same hymn sheet so to speak.

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Instructions & Links for GIMP software.

Post by Kiya »

Ok so far with download :) looks an interesting program :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think I'm downloaded..................(I think/I hope) :P
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well done you two ladies, now that wasn't so bad was it?
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Run a scan............so far so good :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I said Kiya it looks a pretty safe download site and I scanned my PC a few times and nothing showed up so I would say it's OK, but running your own scan after installing any software is always a good idea. :up
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Done - but on the netbook for the time being
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Excellent BB :up it willl be interesting to know how it goes on compared with a normal PC or laptop.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm loaded and ready for bear! :) I have a GIMP (or a fox? with a brush hanging out his mouth) as an icon on my desktop and when I open it I get three other small screens pop up. Looks like I'm ready to go!

Great to see you added in here BB.

BigKen/BK often posted photos and seemed to be into photography a bit. Wonder where he is?
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Thanks for the welcome (back) LLL.