My Summertime Efforts

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

My Summertime Efforts

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Last fall I was asking on here about flowers. H proposed I try delphiniums and I did try but nada. Course we had a terrible spring where everything was cold and wet, in fact, the wettest spring on record.

I did manage to accomplish - from SEED too - my double hollyhocks!!! These are my most PRIZED accomplishment - pink double hollyhocks. Across the yard I've got single salmon holly hocks but these ones are just thick and so fluffy. Hope they reappear next year.

Initially I thought all the foxglove I planted last year hadn't survived but "voila" late in the season I've got tons of foxglove (none of the Sir Lancelot variety) coming out. Not overly large blooms but sufficient for a decent bit of colour

And lastly I sprinkled "mixed jewel' nasturtiums all over and Wow did they take off........but only in orange. The see package showed a whole variety of colours but I've only accomplished orange ones. Still quite pretty........

As we're coming into fall and before the summer garden flowers totally end - anybody else have any flowers they've grown they want to share???

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: My Summertime Efforts

Post by Horus »

Lovely pictures LLL, we have had a similarly bad Summer this year very wet and that has made our own garden produce loads of foliage, but the flowers have been poor by comparison. I planted lots of flowers suitable for insects, Butterfly’s and bees and although they attracted them the numbers were down due to the poor weather, here are few I took on a sunny day of Butterfly's on a Budhlia bush.
A Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly
A Comma Butterfly
A Peacock Buttefly
General wilfflower area, but too much foliage
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lovely photos, both of you! LLL, I adore your hollyhocks, and, Horus, I wish I had room for a buddleia bush because I love butterflies too.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

RS, you can now buy dwarf versions of the Buddleia bushes, the one in the picture is actually growing in a half barrel :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely pics from you both :) the only thing I have to show is weeds :o got a 88ft garden & no idea what to do with it, wonder if I could build a granny house in it just for me ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oooh Kiya, what a waste! get yourself a nice little Summer House type of shed and surround it with a lovely cottage garden full of salt tollerant plants (as you live on the coast) you can take lots of walks along that lovely beach of yours and collect gnarled driftwood and arrange it with pebbles and shells, create some paths as you have lots of pebbles available and have the plants growing in amongst it all. :up Sit in the summer house during the better weather listening to some nice music, glass in hand and watching the insects buzzing around, lovely ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It all sounds wonderful Horus its just the getting around to doing it, would you like to come up my way & do it for me ;)

Don't like the sound o' buzzing insects no! no! no!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Only if you promise to feed me well and keep those midges at bay :D
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

OK! hope you like huggis, tatties & neeps :up ............btw not bothered much with midges my way :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Although we had here in the Pacific Northwest one of the coldest wettest springs on record my apple trees exploded. I'm claiming a bit of an 'effort' here but the crop IS pretty spectacular. The trees are literally bent over under the weight of the apples....

My 'effort' re: the apple crop will come when I make applesauce :) YUMMMMMM :eat :eat :eat

The tomatoes are doing well too. This year I planted Sweet 100's and Romas. Took the plants awhile to get going but now they're going strong.

The beginning of the summer was shakey weatherwise but the garden is doing well now.

Lastly my original hollyhock produced really big beautiful coral coloured hollyhocks. The photo makes them look 'pink' but to my naked eye in the garden they look more coral coloured.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You have certainly done well this year those apples and tomatoes look really good. I grew a different variety this year and also had a good crop, they were 'beef' tomatoes and we had so many that Mrs H had to slice and freeze quite a few, but they are lovely when cooked and served up with bacon, Mmm lovely especially if you dip a slice of crusty bread into the juice .................. very tasty but ................ a little bit more salt and pepper I think :eat
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Nice photos LLL and H. My garden and tubs took a right bashing this year what with the weather, slugs, snails and me not being there.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Are you still not back home yet BB?